How do you log a marinade for a grilled meat ?

Options
How much would you use for a serving ?

Replies

• jessathemessa
    jessathemessa Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I would normally divide by how many pieces of chicken there are. For example, if the marinade was 100 calories and I put it on 4 pieces of chicken, I would log it as 25 calories. Usually with marinade, there's some left over in the bag/pan/container you used to marinade, so this is an over calculation, but most of the marinades I use don't end up having too many calories anyways. Maybe someone else has a better way to do it.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If it's bottled I'll weigh/measure it out (depending of if it specifies grams or milliliters). If it's homemade, I'll weigh the ingredients as I make it and then weigh the amount I use.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Weigh the marinade before and after use or the meat before and after marination.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I eyeball it. Usually I use 1/4 cup for 6 servings of meat and most of it gets trashed, so I log 1 or 2 tablespoons and call it a day.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I usually just guess on marinades, honestly. I'll add about 20-25 calories per serving. Most of it seems to get thrown away or cooked out.
    Weigh the marinade before and after use or the meat before and after marination.

But this is actually a really good idea.
  • keokagal
    keokagal Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I don't count it. I make my own. Some absorbs into the meat but most is tossed out. Unless you're using a cup of sugar you should be ok. You can always add 25 cals to your meal if it makes you feel better. I know it's there and it doesn't bother me. If you're doing a whole recipe with servings you can calculate it in the recipe builder and get more accuracy there.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I've never bothered...it would be so negligible as to not be worth the time and effort IMO. It certainly didn't hinder my 40 Lbs loss a few years ago.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I usually just log 1 tablespoon or 1 serving if its from a bottle. If it's from a packet and the whole packet is used, I divide by the number of servings its used on.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Give it 25 calories in the log and call it a day.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I weigh the marinade, in the bag, before and after the food has marinated, then I divide the total by the number of pieces and use that amount per piece. Or just make the total used part of a recipe.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I don't bother, particularly since I don't like any sweet marinades.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I don't.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options

i don't use marinades or have a scale but this is what i'd do if i did.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    You dont' eat all the marinade, just a small portion of it.

Tag on thing - this is also true for sauteeing and frying. It's hard to tell what's what in the pan with meat (bc meat also has fat it releases). I usually log all the calories for whatever meat it is, and only some of the additional oil or fat that I use (unless I can see it's all been absorbed), but I'm curious to know how people handle this, too.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Depending on how much is left over I generally log 1/2 or so. So if there was 4 pieces of meat and I used 1 cup of marinade I'd log it as 1/8 of a cup. If there wasn't much left in the bag I'd just log it all.

But I don't use a lot of marinades because my son doesn't like them so if I'm a little off it is so infrequent it isn't a huge deal.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I weigh the marinade, in the bag, before and after the food has marinated, then I divide the total by the number of pieces and use that amount per piece. Or just make the total used part of a recipe.

Do you actually eat the marinade? Seems like overkill, but if it works for you...moar power!
  • hrtchoco
    hrtchoco Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I usually just season my meat with salt and pepper or a spice mix. Not a huge fan of marinades.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Most of our marinades end up left in the pan, or thrown out, I guess Im lazy in this area because I log 25-50 calories and call it good.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    How much I used divided by how many servings of meat. Given that most gets tossed it is an over calculation, but I tend to err on the side of overcalculating intake any way. (I don't have a scale to weigh at the moment, so I log more than I eat, and I half whatever MFP says I burn during exercise)