Any had Amaranth leaves? Most nutritious green/

Options
br3adman
br3adman Posts: 284 Member
Amaranth is one of the most protein-rich of any plant-based food, rivaling that of animal-based foods like cheese

Replies

• br3adman
    Options
    Thinking about buying some seeds and trying it just curious how it taste.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Broccoli is higher per volume and about the same per weight. The leaves don't have nearly as much protein as the grain.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Just because I'm bored and was curious, I looked up several other greens - kale, collards, mustard and turnip - and amaranth only had more protein than turnip greens by weight, but not by volume.

Per 100g serving raw, kale has the most at 4.28g protein and collards were second at 3.02. Amaranth has 2.46.

You are probably thinking of the grain, which is high protein as far as grains go and is apparently the only grain documented to contain vitamin C and contains lysine, which is not found in many other grains.
    http://wholegrainscouncil.org/whole-grains-101/amaranth-may-grain-of-the-month-0
  • iminthebandman
    iminthebandman Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I grew some this year. We had 4 varieties. It's pretty good as a green, very mild. The grain is very similar to quinoa. It was super easy to grow too.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Something to put in my garden next year.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Question - is this the same plant that your grow for your flower garden? I have some beautiful amaranth (love lies bleeding is the name) and have wondered if it is the same as the edible variety.

Incidentally, I ate a nasturtium flower yesterday because I know they are edible. Blech - it was quite bitter. I'll stick to harvesting my dandelion greens out of the lawn. LOL
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Where I live it is one of the most common salads. Boiled until tender, served with lots of lemon and olive oil. It does not really taste of much, has a rather mild taste compared ot other greens, hence the need for lemon etc. A little bit bitter, but not much. But I doubt it is as protein rich as you think. Maybe you are confuising the leaves with the seed? The leaves have about 2 grams protein per 100 grams.
  • br3adman
    Options
    Just because I'm bored and was curious, I looked up several other greens - kale, collards, mustard and turnip - and amaranth only had more protein than turnip greens by weight, but not by volume.

Per 100g serving raw, kale has the most at 4.28g protein and collards were second at 3.02. Amaranth has 2.46.

You are probably thinking of the grain, which is high protein as far as grains go and is apparently the only grain documented to contain vitamin C and contains lysine, which is not found in many other grains.
    http://wholegrainscouncil.org/whole-grains-101/amaranth-may-grain-of-the-month-0

Thanks I may have confused the two. I'll grow some and see how both taste!
  • br3adman
    Options
    I grew some this year. We had 4 varieties. It's pretty good as a green, very mild. The grain is very similar to quinoa. It was super easy to grow too.

I'll definitely try both out did you plant it in the spring?