Foods you eat because your body needs them.

I realize we all need to eat certain foods to have a healthy diet, that's a given. But I'm sure there are many people out there that have to make their food choices based on an illness or allergies, when they would really rather use their calories for other foods. I have crohn's disease and it frustrates me that quite often I'm eating something because it's necessary and it's the easiest or best way to get the nutrients I need. Anyone else frustrated by this??

Replies

• melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    i have had stomach issues for a long time, lactose interolerance, GERD, recently I had a case of "fermenting gut"... Blerg. Anyways, I have to be pretty careful what I eat so I dont hurt.

When I have to go on the "bland diet" per my doctors recommendation, I am ususally pretty bummed about it, it certainly isnt the worst thing in the world.

• melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    I know a kid who is 6, who receives the majority of her calories via feeding tube. Severe intolerances coupled with failure to thrive, made the feeding tube a necessary part of her life.

when I think about her, I feel like I am lucky to be able to eat the variety that I can eat.
  • rhoule76
    rhoule76 Posts: 217 Member
    I too have Crohn's disease and find it hard to get the nutrients I need daily. I also find that foods that are "supposed to" bother my Crohn's actually don't and vice versa...a very frustrating disease.