Not losing, advice needed!

Options
kmajor2015
kmajor2015 Posts: 23 Member
edited August 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Okay, so I've been doing this for about 6 weeks and I've lost 8 lbs steadily. I've logged every day, even cheat days (of which I've had 4). I don't use a food scale (yet) but I measure absolutely everything, follow labels, and I don't drink my calories. I do light exercise. I walk about 20-30 minutes a day about 4 times a week. I also don't normally eat my exercise calories back, as I know MFP inflates it to some degree. I started out with a goal of 1710, but I adjusted it after the 8 lb loss to 1500. However, on average, I eat 1300-1400 calories a day. I typically only eat in the evenings. I also generally eat the same snacks per day, and rotate about 3 different meals each week (I have digestive issues so I find routine is better for me)

So this brings me to my issue. For the past two weeks ish I've been wavering between 216-218. I've had some bloat but nothing crazy. I'm just not sure what I'm doing wrong. Anyone have any advice? I'm feeling a little discouraged.

SW: 224
CW: 216

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    You've lost 8 lbs in six weeks.

Day to day and week to week short term fluctuations are immaterial. Don't make the common mistake of getting too mentally wrapped up into them.

You've lost 8 lbs in six weeks

Weight loss is not linear. Some weeks you'll lose 3 lbs. some weeks you'll lose 1 lb. some weeks you'll stay the same. Some weeks you'll gain. That's the way it works.

You've lost 8 lbs in six weeks
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    8lbs in 6 weeks is great :smile:
    Buy yourself a food scale though, they're cheap and extremely useful and eye opening.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    You are eating more than you think orare not being patient becayse weight loss is not linear.
    1. More than you think because you arent using scales to measure your food. You might think you are being acurate but scales is the most accurate way. Not losing is a sign that you are eating close to maintenance. Get some scales so you can control being at deficit.
    2. 8lbs in 6 weeks is very good. You wont lose every week and sometimes it pauses and then starts losing again. Its quite expected and a plateau is normally 6 weeks without loss. It will be to your benefit if you get used to realisic rates of loss of 1-2lb a week and focus on overall trend. Chart your losses with soemthing like trendweight.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Two weeks isn't really long enough to determine if you're doing something wrong, as weight constantly fluctuates. I would get that food scale asap so you can buckle down on your logging.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I've been in a deficit for two weeks and have not lost a thing. I won't worry too much about it until it reaches 4 weeks. Weight loss is not always linear, and if you are ovulating/have your period, it may stall during that time and drop when it's over.
  • strangesoul79
    strangesoul79 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people push for the food scale but I have not used one at all. I watch what I eat and I can generally measure out everything pretty well. I eat healthy and work out 6 days a week with one rest day. I workout anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour. I did this before and lost close to 40 lbs in 4 months. I did let life get in the way at that time and gained it all back cause I stopped doing what I was and went back to old habits. I am back where I started 2 years ago and have lost 10 lbs in the past month. It's not something that really happens quick and it does take work. Some advice from me is to eat regular meals if you can with the digestive issues you have and just a couple of snacks. Try to work out a little more if possible add some weights to begin getting muscle strength up. 8 lbs is good so don't knock it. You will get there in your own time as every one is different. You got this.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people push for the food scale but I have not used one at all. I watch what I eat and I can generally measure out everything pretty well. I eat healthy and work out 6 days a week with one rest day. I workout anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour. I did this before and lost close to 40 lbs in 4 months. I did let life get in the way at that time and gained it all back cause I stopped doing what I was and went back to old habits. I am back where I started 2 years ago and have lost 10 lbs in the past month. It's not something that really happens quick and it does take work. Some advice from me is to eat regular meals if you can with the digestive issues you have and just a couple of snacks. Try to work out a little more if possible add some weights to begin getting muscle strength up. 8 lbs is good so don't knock it. You will get there in your own time as every one is different. You got this.

I think the food scale is helpful for people who are not seeing the results they think they should, because usually they are eating more than they think. I maintain just fine without weighing my food, but I find I need to weigh when I'm losing because I am not a good estimator of portions when I'm hungry, lol.
  • strangesoul79
    strangesoul79 Posts: 84 Member
    Options

I think the food scale is helpful for people who are not seeing the results they think they should, because usually they are eating more than they think. I maintain just fine without weighing my food, but I find I need to weigh when I'm losing because I am not a good estimator of portions when I'm hungry, lol.

Lol yea it can take some getting used to. I may be over or under on somethings like my meats. One thing that helped me was I had some little serving bowls of some kind. I found out they measured exactly at 1/2 cup so I was able to learn pretty easy that way what portions of say cottage cheese or most of the veggies should be. Meats are always a guess since I never seem to have any cuts the same lol. If someone wants to use a scale it is fine. I just see them being pushed so hard when they are not completely necessary. Sometimes learning portions sizes is just as effective. My main failure for portions is when home fried fish is involved. I love it to much and my stomach attempts to become a bottomless pit for it lol.

• XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Buy yourself a food scale though, they're cheap and extremely useful and eye opening.

Right here!! Congrats! Trust the process.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Food scale.

Also, are you eating back your exercise calories? If so, how do you calculate them?
  • kmajor2015
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I've been in a deficit for two weeks and have not lost a thing. I won't worry too much about it until it reaches 4 weeks. Weight loss is not always linear, and if you are ovulating/have your period, it may stall during that time and drop when it's over.

I did just start an oral birth control pill this week so that may have something to do with it. Thanks for the reply :)

• kmajor2015
    Options

Lol yea it can take some getting used to. I may be over or under on somethings like my meats. One thing that helped me was I had some little serving bowls of some kind. I found out they measured exactly at 1/2 cup so I was able to learn pretty easy that way what portions of say cottage cheese or most of the veggies should be. Meats are always a guess since I never seem to have any cuts the same lol. If someone wants to use a scale it is fine. I just see them being pushed so hard when they are not completely necessary. Sometimes learning portions sizes is just as effective. My main failure for portions is when home fried fish is involved. I love it to much and my stomach attempts to become a bottomless pit for it lol.

I'm on the fence about the scale honestly. Everything else I measure or portion it out, and I haven't had negative results yet (except for this slight stall) And even if I was slightly over due to eyeballing out the meat portions (always chicken), I don't think it would royally screw me up for that day considering I only eat about 1300-1400 anyway, with a goal of 1500.

• kmajor2015
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »
    Food scale.

Also, are you eating back your exercise calories? If so, how do you calculate them?

I normally don't eat them back. I just use the preprogrammed exercises that MFP has to calculate them. Usually it's just as simple as walking for 20 minutes at a moderate pace. It's probably off a little bit, but I don't eat them back, as I said.

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    kmajor2015 wrote: »

I'm on the fence about the scale honestly. Everything else I measure or portion it out, and I haven't had negative results yet (except for this slight stall) And even if I was slightly over due to eyeballing out the meat portions (always chicken), I don't think it would royally screw me up for that day considering I only eat about 1300-1400 anyway, with a goal of 1500.

If you get the results you want, by all means skip the scale. But just as a point of reference, I once logged a day where I measured out my food, logged it, and put the same serving on a scale to compare. The day came out about 350 calories different by the end. Those little inconsistencies can add up!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Patience.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Water weight related to TOM or other. 8 pounds in 6 weeks, even if the last 2 weeks have not seen a decrease, is still losing.

Keep tracking. You'll probably see a trend every month where you hold steady (or even gain slightly) for a certain 7-10 days.

As you continue to lose, you may find the need to increase your accuracy. At that point, use a food scale.
    Okay, so I've been doing this for about 6 weeks and I've lost 8 lbs steadily. I've logged every day, even cheat days (of which I've had 4). I don't use a food scale (yet) but I measure absolutely everything, follow labels, and I don't drink my calories. I do light exercise. I walk about 20-30 minutes a day about 4 times a week. I also don't normally eat my exercise calories back, as I know MFP inflates it to some degree. I started out with a goal of 1710, but I adjusted it after the 8 lb loss to 1500. However, on average, I eat 1300-1400 calories a day. I typically only eat in the evenings. I also generally eat the same snacks per day, and rotate about 3 different meals each week (I have digestive issues so I find routine is better for me)

So this brings me to my issue. For the past two weeks ish I've been wavering between 216-218. I've had some bloat but nothing crazy. I'm just not sure what I'm doing wrong. Anyone have any advice? I'm feeling a little discouraged.

SW: 224
    CW: 216

• Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I think since your goal is to only get down to 184 pounds I think you could do it without a scale. I would probably bump up your walking to 30 minutes a day seven days a week. That way it could make up a little bit for anything that you under estimate. And I would stick to the 1300-1400 guestimate. That at least gives you wiggle room for error. By the way 8 pounds in 6 weeks isnt bad for someone who isn't weighing their food. You could probably increase the rate with a food scale.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

I did just start an oral birth control pill this week so that may have something to do with it. Thanks for the reply :)

Oh yeah, have patience then. Starting and stopping birth control can do nutty things to your body, just speaking from personal experience.
  • kmajor2015
    Options

Well, I took your advice and got one at wal mart tonight. Man, they really are eye opening! I probably won't use it for everything, but it's good to have for sure.