Hummus

Options
jofjltncb6
jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
Does anyone have any good hummus recipes they could share?

Replies

• BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I read a good one tonight that included chocolate chips but I can't find it anywhere.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm...hummus.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    I read a good one tonight that included chocolate chips but I can't find it anywhere.

Oh! I think I found that one, it looked amazing and really versatile:
    3/4 cup butter or margarine
    1 cup packed light brown sugar
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    1 tsp vanilla
    2 eggs
    2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
    1 cup quick cook oats
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp salt
    1 3/4 cups Chocolate Chips
    1 cup chopped nuts (optional)

If you blend it all together in a food processor, it had the exact same texture as hummus. And soooo so good. I'll never go back.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I love hummus. Especially my mothers recipe
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    :laugh: @ chocolate chips...
    Anyway I just don't get the whole "hummus" thing. I finally got around to trying it and when I read the nutrition label I wasn't too happy. 80 cals for 2TBSP 6 grams of fat and only 2 grams of protein???? For some reason I thought that there would be a LOT more protein in there! My M.I.L was sooo sweet to pick some up for me. I just happened to mention that I'd like to try some and POOF** there it was. LOL Could it just have been that particular brand and type? :indifferent:
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Here is one for "Salmmus." It's like hummus only without the chick peas and with salmon but it's served with pitas, so "hummus."

Bumblebee - Pink Salmon In Water, Boneless Skinless, 2 container (4 oz draineds ea.)
    Natural Raw Sliced Almonds - 0.5 tbsp
    Lindsay - Imported Capers, 0.5 Tbsp.
    Vigo - Sliced Calamata Olives, 1 Tbsp (12g)
    President - *Fat Free Feta Cheese, 28 g (1oz)
    Fage - Total 0% Yogurt - Nonfat, Plain, 0.19 cup
    Flax Seed - Ground , 0.5 tablespoon
    Spices - Oregano, dried, 1 tsp, leaves

I also have a great recipe for "ketchup" only it uses eggs and oil so it's white but it still goes on hamburgers, so "ketchup."
  • Otterluv
    Options
    Pm me for my mothers recipe. I'm not allowed to share it on the forums, because hummus recipes are considered personal attacks.

I prefer to think of it as positive taste bud propaganda.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

I also have a great recipe for "ketchup" only it uses eggs and oil so it's white but it still goes on hamburgers, so "ketchup."

That sounds divine!
  • PhattiPhat
    PhattiPhat Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Here is one for "Salmmus." It's like hummus only without the chick peas and with salmon but it's served with pitas, so "hummus."

Bumblebee - Pink Salmon In Water, Boneless Skinless, 2 container (4 oz draineds ea.)
    Natural Raw Sliced Almonds - 0.5 tbsp
    Lindsay - Imported Capers, 0.5 Tbsp.
    Vigo - Sliced Calamata Olives, 1 Tbsp (12g)
    President - *Fat Free Feta Cheese, 28 g (1oz)
    Fage - Total 0% Yogurt - Nonfat, Plain, 0.19 cup
    Flax Seed - Ground , 0.5 tablespoon
    Spices - Oregano, dried, 1 tsp, leaves

Sarcasm is strong in this one.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

1/2 cup granulated sugar
    1 tsp vanilla
    2 eggs
    1 cup quick cook oats
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp salt

If you blend it all together in a food processor, it had the exact same texture as hummus. And soooo so good. I'll never go back.

:grumble:

I'm pretty sure that in order for it to be called hummus, it needs to have some chickpeas in it.

ETA: we have some single-serve tubs of the premade stuff. I just thought it might taste better if we made our own.
  • Otterluv
    Options

1/2 cup granulated sugar
    1 tsp vanilla
    2 eggs
    1 cup quick cook oats
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp salt

I'm pretty sure that in order for it to be called hummus, it needs to have some chickpeas in it.

Maybe where you're from, but here I do what I wanna' :smokin:
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    skin them first, then add the chocolate chips.
  • BozGirl
    BozGirl Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Hummus

1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained with juice reserved
    1/3 cup roasted tahini
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    1/3 cup olive oil
    2 cloves garlic
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1 teaspoon of cumin
    water

Place ingredients in the bowl of a food processor. Blend until smooth, adding reserved juice or water if the mixture is too thick. Adjust the seasoning to your liking.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    Options

1/2 cup granulated sugar
    1 tsp vanilla
    2 eggs
    1 cup quick cook oats
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp salt
    2 chickpeas

Fixed. Happy?
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Apparently, there is Beetroot Hummus too.

DSC06578a.JPG

and...

20100514hummus.jpg
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options

1/2 cup granulated sugar
    1 tsp vanilla
    2 eggs
    1 cup quick cook oats
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp salt
    2 chickpeas

Fixed. Happy?

Best fix ever.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

1/2 cup granulated sugar
    1 tsp vanilla
    2 eggs
    1 cup quick cook oats
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp salt
    2 chickpeas

Fixed. Happy?

Awesome! Thanks!

I'll definitely try this!
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    I have tried a lot of different recipes. I've won a number of contests with this one:

Ingredients
    1 cups dried chickpeas (the smallest you can find)
    1/2 cup tahini
    juice from 1 squeezed lemons
    1-2 garlic cloves
    1/2 teaspoon cumin
    1 tablespoon + 1/8-1/4 teaspoon baking soda
    salt
    olive oil
    parsley

(Directions)

1. Pour the chickpeas over a large plate. Go over them and look for damaged grains small stones, or any other thing you would rather leave out of the plate.

2. Wash the chickpeas several times, until the water is transparent. Soak them in clean water over night with 1 tablespoon of baking soda. Then, wash it, and soak again in tap water for a few more hours. The grains should absorb most of the water and almost double their volume.

3. Wash the chickpeas well and put them in a large pot. Cover with water, add the rest baking soda and NO salt. Cook until the grains are very easily smashed when pressed between two fingers. It should take around 1-1.5 hours, during which it is advised to switch the water once again, and remove the peels and foam which float over the cooking water. When done, sieve the grains and keep the cooking water.

4. Put the chickpeas into a food processor and grind well. Leave it to chill a little while before you continue.

5. Add the tahini and the rest of the ingredients and go on with the food processor until you get the desired texture.

Texture is key - if it doesn't hold together, the sculpture melts and the judges disqualify you.

2vmc8ed.jpg
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    hummushummushummushummushummushummushummushummushummushummushummushummushummushummushummushummushummushummushummushummushummushummushummushummushummushummushummushummushummushummushummushummushummushummushummushummushummushummushummushummushummushummushummushummushummus
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I have tried a lot of different recipes. I've won a number of contests with this one:

Ingredients
    1 cups dried chickpeas (the smallest you can find)
    1/2 cup tahini
    juice from 1 squeezed lemons
    1-2 garlic cloves
    1/2 teaspoon cumin
    1 tablespoon + 1/8-1/4 teaspoon baking soda
    salt
    olive oil
    parsley

(Directions)

1. Pour the chickpeas over a large plate. Go over them and look for damaged grains small stones, or any other thing you would rather leave out of the plate.

2. Wash the chickpeas several times, until the water is transparent. Soak them in clean water over night with 1 tablespoon of baking soda. Then, wash it, and soak again in tap water for a few more hours. The grains should absorb most of the water and almost double their volume.

3. Wash the chickpeas well and put them in a large pot. Cover with water, add the rest baking soda and NO salt. Cook until the grains are very easily smashed when pressed between two fingers. It should take around 1-1.5 hours, during which it is advised to switch the water once again, and remove the peels and foam which float over the cooking water. When done, sieve the grains and keep the cooking water.

4. Put the chickpeas into a food processor and grind well. Leave it to chill a little while before you continue.

5. Add the tahini and the rest of the ingredients and go on with the food processor until you get the desired texture.

Texture is key - if it doesn't hold together, the sculpture melts and the judges disqualify you.

2vmc8ed.jpg

But this isn't paleo. They would have used it to paint on walls, not sculpture.