Diet pills

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    Nope. If you need an extra boost just have an extra cup of coffee - diet pills are mostly caffeine anyway.
  • Kimbot88
    Kimbot88 Posts: 109 Member
    I have tried nearly every diet pill there is to try up to and including abusing laxatives in high school. Other than the occasional diet pill that helped me with energy, I've never found one that actually helped me lose weight. This is including the expensive ones from Complete Nutrition. Although there was one pill that I got from Complete Nutrition that gave me such a tremendous amount of energy that I cleaned the entire house. Literally. The walls and everything. But when I took the same pill on other occasions I never had the same effect (this is why people become crackheads).

Unfortunately it is mostly just a waste of money. If you look at the ingredients they are primarily caffeine, green tea, raspberry ketones (whatever the hell that is), and other things that look foreign. It makes more sense to get a boost of energy from coffee or green tea than to use supplements.

I understand you wanting to find something that will just help a little. But there is no magic pill.

Whenever someone has lost a lot weight they never say, "Oh I did it with these pills," do they? No, they always say "I exercised and ate less." And we act shocked as hell.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Hey :)

So i'm not going to jump on the bandwagon and make out like you're stupid because you're not - so please don't think you asked a stupid question up there. This is what this forum is for - advice and support and educating. I haven't tried every diet pill ever invented but I have tried a lot of them. After spending at least two months on each and every 'diet pill' or 'quick fix', I have seen absolutely zero results. I'm not a scientist but in my honest opinion, I used them correctly and for the right amount of time and they didn't do what they promised. It's very easy to just say "They are a scam" but take it from someone who has tried MANY, spent hundreds of pounds and wasted her time - they don't work. They really don't work.

By all means give them a go if you really want to do the tried and tested approach (like me!) but I don't have a very fond view on these products or quick fixes! Good luck regardless :)
  • echmainfit619
    echmainfit619 Posts: 333 Member
    If you're wondering about diet pills, go watch the movie Requiem For A Dream.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Hey :)

So i'm not going to jump on the bandwagon and make out like you're stupid because you're not - so please don't think you asked a stupid question up there. This is what this forum is for - advice and support and educating. I haven't tried every diet pill ever invented but I have tried a lot of them. After spending at least two months on each and every 'diet pill' or 'quick fix', I have seen absolutely zero results. I'm not a scientist but in my honest opinion, I used them correctly and for the right amount of time and they didn't do what they promised. It's very easy to just say "They are a scam" but take it from someone who has tried MANY, spent hundreds of pounds and wasted her time - they don't work. They really don't work.

By all means give them a go if you really want to do the tried and tested approach (like me!) but I don't have a very fond view on these products or quick fixes! Good luck regardless :)

No one said or even insinuated that the OP or question was stupid.
  • PinkPixiexox
    Not here and not directly but I've come across many posts hinting at such in regards to juice cleanses or "fads". I wanted to assure OP that I'm not part of that shunning club
  • strangesoul79
    strangesoul79 Posts: 84 Member
    I have used diet pills in the past. The last time was a couple years ago. I used ACE then. I only used it for a month or two. Really I just used it to get my appetite under control which it did help. Once I had that under control eating right was not a problem and I stopped using them and just ate right and did my daily workouts. If you think about trying any I really would suggest using it just to help get started with appetite control if it is a problem then stop them and just eat right and workout.
  • needstobefit15
    needstobefit15 Posts: 119 Member
    I'm on belivq and its a diet pill u get from ur doctor and its been helping me out a lot
  • AliciaToniak
    AliciaToniak Posts: 25 Member
    I tried herbal magic 5 years ago and lost 45 lbs for my wedding. They use herbs/ vitamins to help stabilize blood sugar levels, boost metabolism and suppress hunger. I found that it really worked...the weight just melted off with barely any activity or exercise but maintaining a very strict food plan using the Manitoba food guide (Iam a Manitoban Canadian) however the down fall to it was it was very expensive and I did not maintain it after I finished the program but it's my fault cause I did not continue to watch my diet. I ended up gaining it all back and doubled it but also had two children in those 5 years.
    I have decided to incorporate some vitamins/ supplements into my regime but also eating good and exercise aswell. I am currently taking green tea extract to boost my metabolism/ energy levels as well as CLA to help with the extra abdominal fat I have from having a baby three months ago, and vitamin B6&B12 for metabolism of fats and energy levels Nd last but not least chromium which help regulate your blood glucose levels from peaking and dropping causing those unwanted cravings.
    None of these are "diet pills"'just supplements to aid in energy and metabolism

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,905 Member
    levie27 wrote: »
    is anyone on her using diet pills to help lose weight. If so what kind?
    If there are, then the approach isn't correct.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    I have decided to incorporate some vitamins/ supplements into my regime but also eating good and exercise aswell. I am currently taking green tea extract to boost my metabolism/ energy levels as well as CLA to help with the extra abdominal fat I have from having a baby three months ago, and vitamin B6&B12 for metabolism of fats and energy levels Nd last but not least chromium which help regulate your blood glucose levels from peaking and dropping causing those unwanted cravings.
    None of these are "diet pills"'just supplements to aid in energy and metabolism
    None of the products you've mentioned are backed by clinical study that show any significant help that a good diet does. Realize that all supplement companies and sellers over exaggerate their claims of success.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Marianna93637
    Marianna93637 Posts: 230 Member
    I have used diet pills of and on for many many years (nothing prescription strength though, and one time some dangerous mixture of pills from Mexico). None of them have really worked, I either lost very little, or if I lost more, I couldn't keep it off or if I lost a lot, that was very unhealthy.
    I did lose 33 lbs in 6 months WITHOUT any kind of pills just by weighing / measuring and logging food. That's the way to go.
  • rosej31
    rosej31 Posts: 189 Member
    Nope! I want to believe in myself that I can do on my own not with the help of diet pills. I mean I have taken in the past years ago but now its about taking care of my health without diet pill. To be honest diet pills make things worse such as your health with kidney problems and so on. Ask your doctor
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    A friend of mine got quite ill at uni after taking some diet pills she bought off the internet that were supposed to increase your body's capacity to burn fat (I think that was the idea anyway). I was always very wary of them and unconvinced by their effectiveness before that, but now even if they worked as claimed, I wouldn't use them because I've seen how unwell she became.
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    edited August 2015
    My sister was on belviq (prescribed by her dr.) she had to go off of it due to some of the side effects, you are not supposed to use it for a lengthy amount of time. Although it helped her lose 30 lbs. , she gained 50+ back when she stopped using it. Plus, who wants to spend over $100 a month to feel like crap! She was miserable on it the whole time she took them.
  • snl122032
    snl122032 Posts: 3 Member
    levie27 wrote: »
    is anyone on her using diet pills to help lose weight. If so what kind?

Phentermine, it's prescription drug appetite suppresent, it's working great for me. I still feel hungry sometimes. It mostly helps me feel full faster, stops me from over eating and keeps me in my calorie range. I have to meet with my doctor once a month while taking it. It's been around since the 30's or 40's, and it's regulated.

I also take phentermine has been working great, lost 7 pounds the first week, was 40 pounds overweight
  • snl122032
    snl122032 Posts: 3 Member
    OTC pills are generally just caffeine pills. Prescription pills are not needed and do nothing to teach you how to eat properly.

Just stay away from them. If they work, the results will likely be short-lived. Eat at a calorie deficit, and you will lose weight.

not true, phentermine has taught me to only eat until I'm satisfied and controls my hunger so I can prepare healthy meals rather than being so hungry I just get fast food, and even when I don't take it I still only eat until I'm satisfied and my stomach has shrunk and I make much better food choices, it has also helped with self control around food
  • PinkPixiexox
    I'm not a fan of diet pills - especially those that can be bought online. You name it I've probably tried it (XLS medical, Proactol, Lipobind, Thermabol, Adios - to name a few) and NONE of them work. None of them. I wasted SO much money over the years on these products claiming to blitz the pounds and it was all a complete waste of my time, money and expectations. Please, please don't believe the hype.

As for pills prescribed by doctors, I can only assume that they have an ingredient proven to do *something* but I haven't really looked in to it too deeply. My mum was prescribed Orlistat from her Dr which made her lose weight purely because she was running to the bathroom after every meal and suffering from severe diarrhea. Not fun. Of course, as soon as she stopped taking the orlistat, she held on to the fat as she would do normally and gained weight. Quick fixes are simply not the answer.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    snl122032 wrote: »
    OTC pills are generally just caffeine pills. Prescription pills are not needed and do nothing to teach you how to eat properly.

Just stay away from them. If they work, the results will likely be short-lived. Eat at a calorie deficit, and you will lose weight.

not true, phentermine has taught me to only eat until I'm satisfied and controls my hunger so I can prepare healthy meals rather than being so hungry I just get fast food, and even when I don't take it I still only eat until I'm satisfied and my stomach has shrunk and I make much better food choices, it has also helped with self control around food

It hasn't taught you... it's making you.

That's the whole point of phen, no?
  • ninerbuff
    snl122032 wrote: »

Phentermine is a DRUG. You need a doctors prescription to get it since it's NOT an OTC. And the drug doesn't "teach" you, you're reacting to a chemical reaction that's caused by it. If you've really learned how to control your hunger, than why do you need to take it?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png