Grip strength or wrist problem.

Looking for some advice from lifters out there. I'm not a heavy lifter but I do enjoy lifting in body pump classes and have been steadily upping the weight on the bar. I have come across an issue lately though which is halting my progress. When I'm doing the back track (deadlifts, rows and military presses) I find my right wrist gives out. I get a weird pain/spasm and then feel unsure about lifting in case I drop the weight altogether (never have done thankfully but feels like I might do). Do you think this is from a weak wrist or poor grip strength? Any suggestions to get past it? I'm only lifting 20-30kg so should be able to increase my weight but reluctant with this issue ongoing!

Replies

• jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    You might want to try using straps. You can get them from a number of places. I use Schiek. you would use straps for lifting a weight and there are also hooks for pulling...such as lat pull-down or row. they really helped me once I reached a point where my wrist couldn't keep up with the weight lifted.. Also get it checked out to make sure it isn't something more serious.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,979 Member
  • BalletAndBarbells
    BalletAndBarbells Posts: 334 Member
    Thanks Kami3006 - I have read that thread and will look at the links people have posted there about grip strength but my question is, does it sound like a grip strength or a wrist problem? I don't get sore or stiff fingers, just feel like my wrist is going to give out. I'm a newbie lifter (less than 6 months) and I'm not a real lifter, just little body pump weights, so I'm not sure what the problem really is!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    Sounds like a wrist problem. Try to see a sports doctor, or at least a physiotherapist.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited August 2015
    debsbiggs wrote: »
    Looking for some advice from lifters out there. I'm not a heavy lifter but I do enjoy lifting in body pump classes and have been steadily upping the weight on the bar. I have come across an issue lately though which is halting my progress. When I'm doing the back track (deadlifts, rows and military presses) I find my right wrist gives out. I get a weird pain/spasm and then feel unsure about lifting in case I drop the weight altogether (never have done thankfully but feels like I might do). Do you think this is from a weak wrist or poor grip strength? Any suggestions to get past it? I'm only lifting 20-30kg so should be able to increase my weight but reluctant with this issue ongoing!

Go ask your doctor.

Weights should be super light if you're doing cardio classes with them. There is a huge difference between lifting weights and doing body pump. Body pump is great to get you started or interested in it but it's not the same as powerlifting, bodybuilding or cross fit. (lol cross fit) It's possible the weight is to heavy for the amount of cardio you want to do with them.

• BalletAndBarbells
    debsbiggs wrote: »

Go ask your doctor.

Weights should be super light if you're doing cardio classes with them. There is a huge difference between lifting weights and doing body pump. Body pump is great to get you started or interested in it but it's not the same as powerlifting, bodybuilding or cross fit. (lol cross fit) It's possible the weight is to heavy for the amount of cardio you want to do with them.

I am only lifting light - as you can see, the heaviest I lift is 25-30kg. I would love to start proper lifting but my male dominated gym is a bit too intimidating so I'm sticking with the body pump and some friendly circuits classes!
    I will ask around the physio team at work (I'm a nurse) and see if they can shed some light, thanks.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    If it's your wrist, and only one, it could be carpal tunnel syndrome. Been there, done that (forever). It is easily aggravated by heavy gripping (insert joke here). Do you ever get numbness or pins/needles in your hands/fingers?
  • BalletAndBarbells
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    If it's your wrist, and only one, it could be carpal tunnel syndrome. Been there, done that (forever). It is easily aggravated by heavy gripping (insert joke here). Do you ever get numbness or pins/needles in your hands/fingers?

I'm a nurse practitioner so I know how to assess for CTS - Romberg and Froments negative so it's not that. It is just the right hand.
    You are obviously a lifter - can I do something like body pump, which involves quick transitions from bent over row reps to overhead clean and press reps, with alternate hand grip or is that a stupid idea?
  • BalletAndBarbells
    Thanks guys, I'll get some straps and see what happens.
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 211 Member
    I have a ganglion cyst in my left wrist. Had one in my right too, but that has been successfully removed (I had surgery on the left one too, but it was unsuccessful). It seriously impacts on my wrist strength and ability to grip. That is what pushed me to go for surgery in the first place, as I had started to struggle to hold my baby nephew (and feared I'd drop him!!).

If I put direct pressure on the wrist joint (such as a pushup, or plank), it is very painful, but otherwise pain free.

Could it be something similar with you? Either way, I'd recommend getting it checked out.