Breakfast suggestions for Dorm Student

Options
jadowns
jadowns Posts: 167 Member
Going on a meal plan at my university which allows 2x meals / day...

Do you guys have any suggestions for simple HEALTHY breakfasts that don't require refrigeration...

I can boil water, but that's it....

Replies

• erimethia_fekre
    erimethia_fekre Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal with coconut oil and protein added. Maybe some almond butter and cinnamon
  • KrisiAnnH
    KrisiAnnH Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Boiled eggs (boiled egg sandwich on low cal bread- 2 slices bread 120cals 2 eggs 140 cals so 260 total) eggs don't need to be refrigerated but it does mean they won't last as long
    Cereal bars- not great sugar content wide but don't need refrigerating, maybe have with a banana or piece of fruit? :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Protein bar and fruit? Or yeah, oatmeal, pretty much.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Boiled egg on an English muffin with a little salt is very filling. You can put some butter on the muffin. Do you have s toaster? It's tough without a fridge!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Oh or just some bread or English muffin with some nut butter!
  • RMCottonRPh
    RMCottonRPh Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    You could get a mini blender and make smoothies or protein shakes. Cuisinart makes a great personal mini blender!

Quest bar plus banana is an easy option too.
  • sdraper2014
    sdraper2014 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hmm no fridge, I would do toast and peanutbutter, apples and peanutbutter are amazing and if you buy just a few apples at a time they will keep at room temp for a while.

Oatmeal and dried fruit with some cinnamon and nuts would be good.

A few handfuls of nuts and dried fruit would do as well.

If oatmeal is too high in carbs for you I make porage out of buckwheat, chia seeds, hemp hearts, shredded coconut and dried fruit and cinnamon, very filling stuff. Just add boiling water and let it sit.

There is nothing saying you have to eat breakfast foods for breakfast either, so soup is an option as well, though maybe not so appealing first thing in the morning for some.
  • hufflepuff03
    hufflepuff03 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Oh man, so fridge! I have to go with the protein bar and fruit like the others. There's also breakfast drinks that don't need to be refrigerated but I don't know how healthy they are or if they would even taste good warm.
  • Wetterdew
    Wetterdew Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Kashi fiber twigs cereal is my favorite go-to for this, or sometimes Greek yogurt (but you don't have a fridge).

Otherwise, some fruit or a protein bar are great suggestions.
  • jadowns
    jadowns Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions everyone, thank you! I've got some good ideas now. Eggs are OUT, and smoothies too. I DO NOT have a refridgerater, toaster, or microwave. I only have an electric tea kettle..
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Eggs don't have to be refrigerated unless your room is unusually warm. In Europe they don't. But they don't last as long out of the fridge.

But I also recommend oatmeal with some peanut butter (or your favorite nut or seed butter.)
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Eggs can be boiled in an electric kettle! The things we made in ours in college....
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    KrisiAnnH wrote: »
    Boiled eggs (boiled egg sandwich on low cal bread- 2 slices bread 120cals 2 eggs 140 cals so 260 total) eggs don't need to be refrigerated but it does mean they won't last as long
    Cereal bars- not great sugar content wide but don't need refrigerating, maybe have with a banana or piece of fruit? :)

The do need to be if they were in the fridge when you bought them. In the UK where you live ( I already knew before I even checked), it is not the norm to buy eggs from a fridge or store them there.