Body pumpers - progress with weights?

I love the les mills body pump classes but just curious how much progress people who have been doing it longer than me have made with the weight they lift?
I started out warming up with just a 5kg bar and using that same weight for chest, shoulders, biceps and triceps and a 10kg bar for back and legs. Now I am warming up with a 10kg bar and using 12.5kg for chest and shoulders. Prefer 2x 5kg dumbbells for biceps and triceps as I find it more comfortable. Lift 25-30kg for back and legs. I could definitely squat more but don't think I'd be able to lift it over my head!
I've been going for about 3-4 months. Is this OK progress for that time? What sort of ongoing progress can I expect?
Any suggestions for improvement welcome!
NB: I am eating at a deficit (1240kcal + up to half my exercise calories) as still have a further 20-25lb to lose. Currently 5ft 6" female at 160lb.

Replies

• BalletAndBarbells
    BalletAndBarbells Posts: 334 Member
    Enjoyed pump this morning but stuck on same weights for past 3 weeks - any advice greatly appreciated!
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    That's awesome progress! We're like pump twins, I do about the same weights!

The thing with pump is you're gonna top out at what may feel pretty low weights. Because it's such a high rep, fast paced class, you can't go too heavy and keep good form/keep up. I've yet to see anyone lifting anything substantially heavy with good form without falling behind or having to stop.

I've only been back at it 5 months (post kids), but I've done pump for years and there really is a point where "progress" slows to a crawl, or even halts. I've found if I'm not up to increasing weight but feel I've got that little more to give, I focus on absolutely perfect form, and making each rep count. Am I getting right down into every squat. Am I not rushing the slow beats, and keeping up on the singles. Am I getting my knee as close to the floor without actually kneeling in lunges. Etc. etc. If I'm getting it as good as I can and I'm still not totally wiped at the end of the track, I'll try an extra 1.25kg. Try...

Well done on such great progress. So many people go week after week throwing 2.5kgs around and racing through the whole thing. You're definitely doing it right :smile:
  • BalletAndBarbells
    BalletAndBarbells Posts: 334 Member
    Thanks katem999, I'll keep at it and see how I get on. I go to 3 different studios to do pump and they all have such different members! My regular studio is the best - a real mix of girly girls, fitness fanatics and older guys. Then there is a central London studio I go to which has a group of pumped up guys at the front who lift massive weights and another studio where its all the 2.5kg crowd. Hence why I was confused regarding what would constitute good progress!
    Thanks for the encouragement, I'll keep at it!
    Are you UK based? Where do you enjoy pump classes?