50 minutes to work out- help!

Options
I've recommitted myself to getting healthier and have decided to use my lunch hour each work day as workout time. I have access to a Planet Fitness which I enjoy going to. I would like to do some cardio and strength training every day. My current plan is to do 5 minutes cardio warm up, 20 minutes strength training followed by 25 minutes of cardio. I would break up my list of weight machine exercises into 5 equal parts, trying to keep upper body, core and lower body on separate days. How does this sound to folks? I've found I really enjoy the strength training, much more so than the cardio.

Replies

• jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    And what exactly are you looking for help with? It's personally preference. Do if you like strength training more why not devote more time to it? I only do about 10 minutes of high intensity skipping a day.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    You're over complicating this. 50 minutes is plenty of time to get in a standard workout program for pretty much anyone
  • louise13dunstan
    louise13dunstan Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    If u do slow weight training and aim for muscle failiure, that will give u more benefits than cardio. Eg bicep curls, do one set but do them very slow up and down, u might manage a few but muscles respond to failiure. Ur heart will pump enough to burn fat and the more muscle u grow the more fat u burn

• BlessedBe23
    BlessedBe23 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Since I'm just starting out and am obese, I'm looking to boost my stamina, cardio capacity and strength. Overall benefits. I understand where it looks like I'm over complicating things, but I truly don't know whether it's better to devote days to cardio and other days to strength training or do some of each each day. That's why I'm asking for advice.
  • louise13dunstan
    louise13dunstan Posts: 74 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    If u speak to a PT there they should be able to.advise u. I spent urs doing loads of cardio and getting to a plateau. The last few weeks I have done muscle failiure training and results were noticeable immediately. Works the same with things like squats etc go slow, u wont do many but muscles respond to more intensity.
    Loads of research coming out at mo that would suggest cardio is not the way to go.
    I would speak to the gym about your goals and they should be able to devlop you a program to encorporate anything you want to do.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    20 minutes isn't enough time to do much of anything. IMO you would be better off alternating days of a proper lifting program with a proper running (or couch2running) program.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I would alternate cardio and strength days. If you can't get to the gym for an even 6 days you could do cardio 3x one week with strength 2x and then switch the next week. Or just always do one type of exercise twice and one thrice.

If you're looking for a machine based program for beginners, Lyle Mcdonald has one here

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/beginning-weight-training-part-4.html/
  • BlessedBe23
    Options
    Thanks everyone I made an appt to meet with a trainer at the gym next Tuesday.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    If PF has it, consider TRX training rather than weight machines. Very time efficient and a much better strength/core workout than machines.
  • BlessedBe23
    Options
    What is trx training?
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Suspension training. Rings attached to a strap.
  • whiteblossom14
    whiteblossom14 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Since I'm just starting out and am obese, I'm looking to boost my stamina, cardio capacity and strength. Overall benefits. I understand where it looks like I'm over complicating things, but I truly don't know whether it's better to devote days to cardio and other days to strength training or do some of each each day. That's why I'm asking for advice.

I started off with one day of one machine then the next trying something else. Now I walk on treadmill and do core exercises to stop the fat turning into loose skin x
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    OP--I think your plan is fine to start. You may consider 3 days of full body weight lifting and 3 days of steady-state cardio as the next step.

I would to do bodyweight circuits with some steady-state cardio six days a week. Then, once you build your endurance and shed some pounds, I would start compound lifts.
  • BlessedBe23
    Options
    I'm not sure what body weight circuits or steady state cardio are. I'll ask the trainer about it on Tuesday. Thanks!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    ...steady state cardio...

Running. Cycling.
  • BlessedBe23
    Options
    Ah ok. I'm not to the running or jogging point yet, 285 lbs and bad knees but I can do treadmill elliptical and stationary recumbent bike