Exercises for the bed bound

I have been bed bound for eight months due to a hip issue. While my weight loss has been awesome, over 100 lbs in the past year, I would like to exercise to tone up, build muscle and burn more calories. I would love any feedback on this topic.

Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Congratulations on your loss!

Have you spoken to a physical therapist?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Congrats on your loss! I've collected some exercises that can be done at home, including some done on your back. If you feel a not-so-good twinge, stop.

https://www.pinterest.com/janetkarasz/fitness-at-home/

I think the exercises will help you get stronger, but the calorie burn is likely insignificant. You can still do them, though!
  • auntiemu
    auntiemu Posts: 9 Member
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Congratulations on your loss!

Have you spoken to a physical therapist?

I had a physical therapist coming to my house to mainly retain as much range of motion as possible. Then....dun dun dun...insurance decided I don't qualify for those services. I've been doing the best I can on my own. Thank you for the suggestion though. :)
  • auntiemu
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Congrats on your loss! I've collected some exercises that can be done at home, including some done on your back. If you feel a not-so-good twinge, stop.

https://www.pinterest.com/janetkarasz/fitness-at-home/

I think the exercises will help you get stronger, but the calorie burn is likely insignificant. You can still do them, though!

Congratulations on your loss as well! Thank you for the link. I definitely need to add some upper body strength. I will check these out. :)
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Also- I don't know how good they will be- but you-tube MAY have some helpful suggestions- Look and see what looks safe to you. hope you succeed- congrats on the weight loss- you are just AWESOME to lose weight and not exercise at all-wow
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Have you looked into isometrics?
  • auntiemu
    debtay123 wrote: »
    Also- I don't know how good they will be- but you-tube MAY have some helpful suggestions- Look and see what looks safe to you. hope you succeed- congrats on the weight loss- you are just AWESOME to lose weight and not exercise at all-wow

Thank you for the encouragement. I have a hip that needs to be replaced and the ortho surgeons won't replace it until I'm down to 200lbs and have abdominal surgery to remove extra skin. They don't want wound healing complications. The hip is in danger of fracturing which would be life-threatening at this point. So I'm trying really hard to lose the weight quickly but safely and make it a lifestyle change.Everyone is pushing gastric bypass but that's not for me personally. Thanks for the YouTube idea. I'm definitely checking it out!

I'm going to look for isometric exercises on YouTube. Great suggestion. Thank you.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Just have a look on youtube there are tons of free exercise videos for bed bound and many are made by physios.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    Really the best thing for weight loss is counting calories, which sucks at first but then you get used to it. I work out for fitness occasionally but I have lost 53 lbs, just by knowing what I eat. You might look into it. Then you won't have to worry about hurting yourself and you can loose a lot fast the bigger you are. This can show you an idea and projection for calorie intake and how long you can expect to see results...

http://www.exercise4weightloss.com/weight-loss-calculator.html
    http://www.losertown.org/eats/cal_act.php

It works...
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    auntiemu wrote: »
    debtay123 wrote: »

Thank you for the encouragement. I have a hip that needs to be replaced and the ortho surgeons won't replace it until I'm down to 200lbs and have abdominal surgery to remove extra skin. They don't want wound healing complications. The hip is in danger of fracturing which would be life-threatening at this point. So I'm trying really hard to lose the weight quickly but safely and make it a lifestyle change.Everyone is pushing gastric bypass but that's not for me personally. Thanks for the YouTube idea. I'm definitely checking it out!

I'm going to look for isometric exercises on YouTube. Great suggestion. Thank you.

No problem! :)
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Really the best thing for weight loss is counting calories, which sucks at first but then you get used to it. I work out for fitness occasionally but I have lost 53 lbs, just by knowing what I eat. You might look into it. Then you won't have to worry about hurting yourself and you can loose a lot fast the bigger you are. This can show you an idea and projection for calorie intake and how long you can expect to see results...

http://www.exercise4weightloss.com/weight-loss-calculator.html
    http://www.losertown.org/eats/cal_act.php

It works...

The op has lost over 100lbs - I'm guessing by counting calories.

:noway:
  • auntiemu
    Yes I'm counting those calories. I'm looking to strengthen my upper body prior to my hip surgery to lessen post surgical rehab issues. Please keep those suggestions coming please. Peace and love for all.
  • mmebouchon
    mmebouchon Posts: 855 Member
    Congrats on your 100 pound loss. I can't imagine the personal strength it would take to do what you are doing, wow. One suggestion you might want to look at is checking out breathing exercises. There is info for all kinds but Wushu breathing exercise are practiced in some martial arts and could be helpful.
  • auntiemu
    Thank you for the encouragement and the suggestion about breath work. I do not know why I didn't think of YouTube before I posted my question but it has a wealth of info that I've already incorporated into my routine thanks to everyone's ideas on this post! I'm doing breath work through my yoga and spiritual practices but I'm looking up Wushu on YouTube as well. Anything to help me get out of this bed quicker I'm willing to try. It's been eight months and I still have 150 lbs to go. Thank you again!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    You are doing great, dont compare yourself to others just try and improve your situation each day. The nice thing about the net is theres a wealth of information and plenty of people have made exercise plans and guidance available for the bed bound. Be patient and consistent. You will get there.
  • auntiemu
    999tigger wrote: »
    You are doing great, dont compare yourself to others just try and improve your situation each day. The nice thing about the net is theres a wealth of information and plenty of people have made exercise plans and guidance available for the bed bound. Be patient and consistent. You will get there.

Thank you so much for your encouragement. Right now I'm fighting severe depression but I'm still following my program instead of turning to food for comfort. Feeling proud about that. It's a huge accomplishment for me. Right now it's all baby steps and minute by minute. Thank you again. I truly appreciate it.
  • ladytwilight72
    ladytwilight72 Posts: 70 Member
    Maybe some dumbbells you can use that shouldn't effect your hip
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    do you have a wheelchair? The type for those who are large is called "bariatric". This would get you out and about and be great exercise. If you are allowed one get one that you can propel with your other foot on the ground. And off you go to the mall for exercise. If you don't have one-but are allowed one-you can rent them. It would be money well spent--or perhaps your insurance wouuld rent one for you.
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Wow your achievement is impressive.

I have only bed bound once - after a week or so in bed following a difficult childbirth. It was very painful getting my body moving again, and really scarey too. It almost felt like my muscles had frozen.. I am telling you this not to out you off, but so that if this happens to you too you understand this is common for people who are bed bound. The pain/freeze really does wear off as you move your limbs - I guess like a badly creaky gate that gets some oil moving again. I wish someone had prepared me mentally for this the first time I was up. It went pretty quickly by the way!

Good luck with the depression. There are some good mindfulness based meditation etc podcasts on the web nowadays you might find helpful.

• debbylarimer
    debbylarimer Posts: 1 Member
    I was really surprised to see this post because I have a similiar situation. I am bed bound and slowly losing weight but progress is very slow and my mobility is limited. I would just like to use what I have to keep up my strength. My PT, OT programs ended long ago. I mainly wear a Garmin vivofit to encourage movement, track sleep etc.