1/2 pound a week weight loss goal?

anyone lose on this setting? I know loss will be slower but I do a healthy amount of exercise each week and generally tend to be hungry with my current calorie setting. Thanks

Replies

• BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    yes me Losing just great and most of the time spot on.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Yes, me!! It's slow, but it's definitely doable. :)
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,650 Member
    I like it because it gives me more calories! Eat all the calories for the win! Yes, the loss is a bit slower - but I happen to think that will insure that the loss is permanent. (Maybe not true, but I'm running with it.)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited August 2015
    As long as you're disciplined and make sure you log properly (really got to weigh for that, IMO, unless you don't eat back exercise calories), yes, it works.

By disciplined though I mean that if you end up eating over once or twice a week, it can take you a month to lose a pound because it's very easy to wipe off a 1750 calorie deficit. Not that I'm talking from experience or something... lol.
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    edited August 2015
    I do. I can't imagine losing any faster.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    I think anyone struggling with -1 or -2 lbs should just do this. Yes this deficit worked for me
  • lisah180
    lisah180 Posts: 69 Member
    Good To know!! I manually set mine to a round number somewhere between my 1 pd and 1/2 a pd (closer to the 1/2 pd #)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    lisah180 wrote: »
    anyone lose on this setting? I know loss will be slower but I do a healthy amount of exercise each week and generally tend to be hungry with my current calorie setting. Thanks

Yes. That is how I lost my last 25 pounds. I was meticulous with weighing food and ensuring that I was choosing correct entries, and I didn't eat all my exercise calories back to account for any errors.

Since you have little room for error due to such a small deficit, you have to stay on the ball.

Hope this helps.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    lisah180 wrote: »
    anyone lose on this setting?

A lot of people have lost 0.5 pounds per week.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Hey! :)

I was losing 2lbs a week on a 1200 calorie plan but now I'm at a healthy rate and HUNGRY so I'm now on 1500 and losing half a pound. Still losing (just a little slower) and no longer starving hungry! Its a win win :D
  • jms5137
    jms5137 Posts: 26 Member
    It works for me! I've often lost more than the .5 pound goal, but I'm guessing that will slow down soon.
  • suenewberry81
    suenewberry81 Posts: 241 Member
    I'm set to 1/2 a lb loss and last week I lost 1.4lbs so my exercise must of burnt slightly more than mfp said it did
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,145 Member
    Yes. It's painfully slow weight loss and I continually have to check my monthly weight chart to actually see the loss, but I'd rather have a slow loss than be pulled into an ED because I wasn't eating enough.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    Since I currently have 50.8 Pounds to lose, I have it set for; 1 Pound a week but when I only have 25 Pounds to lose, I'll reset it for; 0.5 Pounds per week.
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 683 Member
    I lost all my weight this way. It's year 2 and I'm so much healthier
  • vlovell24
    vlovell24 Posts: 61 Member
    Honestly, I don't know how you guys do the .5lb a week thing. A cup of water could be a half a pound. I would go nuts trying to figure out if I actually lost any weight.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    vlovell24 wrote: »
    Honestly, I don't know how you guys do the .5lb a week thing. A cup of water could be a half a pound. I would go nuts trying to figure out if I actually lost any weight.

Maybe because many of us understand and don't obsess over the natural weight fluctuations of the human body. Even if I go a week without losing anything due to "a cup of water" I can look at the trend over time and see that I'm losing. I don't need to know if I lost weight during any particular week.

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,145 Member

Hormones are worse than a cup of water. I wipe out my monthly loss each menstrual cycle.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member

But......

A cup of water has no calories. :)

• vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,650 Member

Maybe because many of us understand and don't obsess over the natural weight fluctuations of the human body. Even if I go a week without losing anything due to "a cup of water" I can look at the trend over time and see that I'm losing. I don't need to know if I lost weight during any particular week.

Totally agree with this. I'm certainly not tracking to see if I've lost that "half pound" in a week's time. I weigh weekly to make sure I'm not going up, but a loss won't really register until it's a pound or more gone. I use an old analog scale that I got as a wedding gift 30 years ago. I'm fine waiting around until it shows a pound or two down.

What's the hurry? I want more calories on a day-to-day basis.