How to fix a squeaky elliptical?!?!?!

Options
I literally love elliptical machines. I could spend hours on one, no exaggeration. But I haven't used mine for a long time because of one reason: it squeaks... LOUD. I don't know how to fix it! It honestly drives me mad. When I do try to use it, I can't deal with any longer than 10 minutes. I just feel like my head is going to explode.. Also, I'm not really a music person so I usually (a.k.a always) watch a TV show while on the elliptical, but then I can still hear the squeaks. No matter how high I turn up the volume the squeakiness is still so loud and annoying, but then it's accompanied by loud TV, and then there's just way too much loud noise around me. I don't think it's possible for me to ignore the squeakiness, and I can't just listen to an iPod or anything because that's boring for me. But I miss my elliptical so much!! Is there any easy way to unsqueak it?

Replies

43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. My hubby keeps spraying wd40 on it.
    My weight set is the same way. It is annoying. Try some wd40.
  • eliseofthejungle
    eliseofthejungle Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    What brand/model is it?
  • chinatbag
    chinatbag Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Where is the squeak coming from? Is it coming from the wheels or from the gear mechanism? If it's coming from the wheels, you have a few options. Are they rubber wheels or are they made of plastic? Be sure to clean off the rails before spraying anything on it. You could probably use a silicon based lubricant on it. Also, WD40 isn't a lubricant, it's actually a solvent.
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I've had that happen too. I do have WD40 and have tried spraying that on any moving parts with some success. I've also tried shifting the machine a little, sometimes just a small change can stop a squeak. I also try positioning my foot a little differently on the pedals to see if there is a spot that stops the sound ... it is SO annoying! I've got a clunk sometimes too ...
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    depends on whats in the joints of the machine already, sewing machine oil or graphite should do...
  • moondawg14
    moondawg14 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    You need to use something besides WD40. It's not really a great long-term lubricant.

But, it's convenient to spray. SO, the first time, spray WD40 on the moving parts one-by-one until you find the offending part.

THEN, find a different kind of oil (like sewing machine oil) to make a more long-lasting fix.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Just throw it out and go for a run.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. My hubby keeps spraying wd40 on it.
    My weight set is the same way. It is annoying. Try some wd40.

WD40 sounds like a remarkably temporary fix. It's better for loosening (or cleaning) things than it is for lubricating. I'd try a good 3-in-1 lubricating oil on the part that's making the noise.
  • losingit413
    losingit413 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My friends squeaked also. It was because the screws that hold the front metal bar had come loose. We remove the plastic cover and tightened the screws and the squeak was gone.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    My friends squeaked also. It was because the screws that hold the front metal bar had com loose. We remove the plastic cover and tightened the screws and the squeak was gone.

Wow...

...did I ever misunderstand this post after just the first sentence.
  • olivetree_
    olivetree_ Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    What brand/model is it?

No idea. My parents bought it for me a while ago. I think it was just a cheap $400 machine. I think it's affiliated with Jillian Michaels because it comes with this chip that you can insert and she apparently "talks and motivates" you... I've never used it though. :/

No.
    Options
    Thanks to those who mentioned then sewing machine oil.
    I happen to have some too. :)
    Options
    What brand/model is it?

No idea. My parents bought it for me a while ago. I think it was just a cheap $400 machine. I think it's affiliated with Jillian Michaels because it comes with this chip that you can insert and she apparently "talks and motivates" you... I've never used it though. :/

No.

Don't blame you, the elliptical is an awesome workout. :)
  • ferocityturbine
    ferocityturbine Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I hate that sound! I used to have a cheap model that squeaked so loud, I'd only use it when the neighbours were out! I'm afraid I don't have any useful suggestions as I never could locate the source of the squeak, but could you not plug earphones into your TV so you can't hear the squeak anymore?

Obviously everyone else's solutions would be better, but at least in the meantime you'd have some less annoying workouts. Eventually I upgraded to a more expensive machine. It doesn't make a sound.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

Lol! Not this again.......
  • olivetree_
    olivetree_ Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I hate that sound! I used to have a cheap model that squeaked so loud, I'd only use it when the neighbours were out! I'm afraid I don't have any useful suggestions as I never could locate the source of the squeak, but could you not plug earphones into your TV so you can't hear the squeak anymore?

Obviously everyone else's solutions would be better, but at least in the meantime you'd have some less annoying workouts. Eventually I upgraded to a more expensive machine. It doesn't make a sound.

haha at the gym yes, because the machines have a TV and MP3 built into them. But at my house, no :p Because the TV is pretty far away from my machine. thanks anyway :) Hopefully I can get a new one soon.
  • Melissa11412
    Melissa11412 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    What brand/model is it?

No.

i just got laughing thinking about the machine "talking to you"....maybe it can tell you where that darn squeek is coming from :huh:
  • paygep
    paygep Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I had this problem.

The best thing I did was to get the proper hex bits for a ratcheting wrench to tighten the bolts. Those little allen keys they give you for assembly are a joke!

Also, I learned that greasing it more often (every 2-3 months) with that thick black 'lubricating' grease from the hardware store will help, too. Don't forget to add grease where the main upright shaft fits down over the connecting piece, and also, grease the bolts.

:flowerforyou: good luck!
  • lauraboo132
    Options
    Do you have a smart phone you can hook it up to your wifi and watch TV shows on your phone with headphones in ??

I have a squeaky one too haha it sounds as I feel
  • TaylorLP913
    TaylorLP913 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My wife's elliptical made noise from the frame as the weight shifted back and forth so I loosened screws near the noisy area and fixed it. I wouldn't loosen screws to moving parts but in this case the frame is still well supported.