Not really new off and on here for a bit 22 days straight though.

Options
22 days . . . 18 pounds lost, and I'd be lying if I said I were happy about it. It should be like 30 freaking pounds lost or more. This is going to take forever at this rate and really only planned to do this for 30 days.

Replies

• amiekiki
    amiekiki Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Aw congrats on the loss anyway :) at one stage I lost 30lbs and gained half of it back. It was disheartening but I'm back on here (hopefully for the last time) to try and lose a total of 50lbs. As the saying goes: Rome wasn't built in a day :(
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Wait...you legit thought you would lose 30+ lbs in 30 days? Let me break this to you as gently as I can...

NOPE. Unless you're legit creating a 3400 calorie deficit PER DAY, that ain't gonna happen. And even if you do manage to do that, you're gonna lose tons of muscle and wear out really qyickly. Most of us WISH we could lose 18 lbs in 22 days, and I can't imagine that you did it healthily. The only way that kind of rapid loss MIGHT be healthy is if you're starting out with a really high BMI, which, if you thought you'd finish this in a month, isn't likely.

Losing weight at the rate of 1-2 lbs per week is reasonable and healthy, and gives you the chance to learn the habits you need to sustain yourself. You really need to adjust your expectations, especially if you plan to keep the weight off after you've lost it. Most people who try to make drastic calorie cuts, if they don't entirely give up, end up in a starve/binge cycle that gets them no where and is terribly unhealthy.

TL;DR- please rethink your strategy and adjust your expectations.
  • egorre
    egorre Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    she could've had a starting weight of 300 or 400+. if she is 400+, 30/month is achievable with the MFP minimum 1200 calorie intake. unhealthy, but achievable.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    egorre wrote: »
    she could've had a starting weight of 300 or 400+. if she is 400+, 30/month is achievable with the MFP minimum 1200 calorie intake. unhealthy, but achievable.

Sure, if that's her starting weight. But given that she seems to have thought she could accomplish her weight loss goal in 30 days, I found it unlikely.

• shadowconn
    shadowconn Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I am incredibly ambitious. Most goals I set for myself are theoretically unattainable. Somehow I still manage to attain them. this one however is being very stubborn. My goal is to not spend the next year losing weight. Not even the next six month. I really don't want to be doing this very long as all as smoothies and stir fries will eventually get very old. And not being able to eat out or participate in the holidays will make life annoying eventually. Already had to turn down a birthday party that featured hot dogs, cake and ice cream ect. And in my mind, thanksgiving, christmas ect will be right out the window if I can't get this weight off.

Thanks for the congrats, amiekik
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    shadowconn wrote: »
    I am incredibly ambitious. Most goals I set for myself are theoretically unattainable. Somehow I still manage to attain them. this one however is being very stubborn. My goal is to not spend the next year losing weight. Not even the next six month. I really don't want to be doing this very long as all as smoothies and stir fries will eventually get very old. And not being able to eat out or participate in the holidays will make life annoying eventually. Already had to turn down a birthday party that featured hot dogs, cake and ice cream ect. And in my mind, thanksgiving, christmas ect will be right out the window if I can't get this weight off.

Thanks for the congrats, amiekik

This is exactly how people end up with yo-yo-ing weight. They restrict calories in a way that isn't sustainable because it doesn't include being able to be social, eat out etc. Then they return to 'normal' eating habits and re-gain some/all/more weight. Rinse and repeat.

I would reconsider your approach if you would like to maintain the weight loss.
  • shadowconn
    Options
    I can maintain it once I get rid of it. I've done it before. About 10 years ago actually. Maintained it for 7 . .took a desk job . . lost track. UGH . . . Now I gotta get it off again. Unfortunately, I know no one has any ideas cause I sure as heck can't figure it out. Went from 2500 - 4k calories a day down to 1800 . . down to 1600 . . now between 1300-1400. I can't go down much lower.
  • oh_happy_day
    Options
    I can maintain it once I get rid of it. I've done it before. About 10 years ago actually. Maintained it for 7 . .took a desk job . . lost track. UGH . . . Now I gotta get it off again. Unfortunately, I know no one has any ideas cause I sure as heck can't figure it out. Went from 2500 - 4k calories a day down to 1800 . . down to 1600 . . now between 1300-1400. I can't go down much lower.

But you haven't maintained if you've put weight on again.

People here will have lots of ideas for you. Mostly around being patient and not expecting your body to instantly shed weight that was put on over months to years. You probably shouldn't go much lower in your calorie intake, you just need to be patient and keep going. The closer you get to your goal weight, the slower the weight will come off. Your ambition will not thwart rules of science, sorry.
  • shadowconn
    Options
    Yeah and I am the epitome of impatient. Eventually, I will get bored with it or really angry and stop because it's not coming off. So it is really best that it come off ASAP. It would be better if I saw results . . . but nope. Clothes still don't fit. Measurements are wonky. Scale not budging very fast. Stuck at 206.5 for 2 days now. I'm really just ranting. Not real sure how I am going to deal with this just yet.
  • oh_happy_day
    Options
    Yeah and I am the epitome of impatient. Eventually, I will get bored with it or really angry and stop because it's not coming off. So it is really best that it come off ASAP. It would be better if I saw results . . . but nope. Clothes still don't fit. Measurements are wonky. Scale not budging very fast. Stuck at 206.5 for 2 days now. I'm really just ranting. Not real sure how I am going to deal with this just yet.

You need to change your mindset. Accept that this will be a process. This won't be done with next week or next month. Change your deficit to something you can be consistent with. Stop weighing yourself every day and expecting to see a change. It just doesn't work that way. This is not something you can out-smart or bulldoze over. Because trust me, if it was, I would have done it already!
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Check this thread out and see what you think.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1343719/get-rich-quick/p1

On page 2 of the thread, check out what OI_Sunshine says happened to her. Do be careful...
  • shadowconn
    Options
    This is not something you can out-smart or bulldoze over. Because trust me, if it was, I would have done it already!

LOL . . . you know exactly where I am coming from then. I either run it over. Bulldoze it or sledgehammer it.

And this process is not responding appropriately. And yes, all I am getting is "wait it out" There has never been a wait it out day in my life. And I would like to be able to get dressed beyond workout clothes. But nothing fits.

• oh_happy_day
    Options
    This is not something you can out-smart or bulldoze over. Because trust me, if it was, I would have done it already!

LOL . . . you know exactly where I am coming from then. I either run it over. Bulldoze it or sledgehammer it.

And this process is not responding appropriately. And yes, all I am getting is "wait it out" There has never been a wait it out day in my life. And I would like to be able to get dressed beyond workout clothes. But nothing fits.

So get some cheap clothes that fit and then donate them to charity when you're done.

And this process is responding appropriately. It's your thought process which isn't. This is not something which you can force your way through. If you keep going the way you are you will burn out and chuck it in (like you mentioned above) and then where will that get you?

I am also an ambitious, impatient perfectionist. And I've been sticking at this for 70 days. I have logged every day. I've been losing on average 1.5lbs a week. I've went for a few weeks without seeing much change but I've stuck it out and the scale is dropping again. It was super frustrating but I trusted the science and I'm being rewarded with change. I keep my eye on the big picture, I also monitor non-scale victories (measurements, improved athletic performance, feeling better within myself). I still eat out, I still go to parties. I can stick with this for as long as it takes
  • oh_happy_day
    Options
    ncfitbit wrote: »
    Check this thread out and see what you think.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1343719/get-rich-quick/p1

On page 2 of the thread, check out what OI_Sunshine says happened to her. Do be careful...

That's a great post. It's so true. So many people want the instant results and gratification, don't learn the tools to do it properly or maintain it and then re-bound.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Since your impatient, set your goals lower, then take a break; from losing but maintain what you've lost, then set & try another goal, until you've accomplished; all of your goals.
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    18 lbs in 22 days is a fantastic weight loss. don't be so hard on yourself
  • Jaceface27
    Jaceface27 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Reality is key with weight loss. Living in a fantasy is going to destroy any goals we set. Be realistic and humble in regards to your body. Even if you could do it 10 years ago (drop the weight), your body is different now and won't respond the same way. We're all similar in that way. 10 years ago my feet didn't give me problems or my back, but now they do. I have to listen to my body now so that I make smart and healthy decisions it can handle.
  • shadowconn
    Options
    @MireyGal76 made this chart which shows how many pounds you can expect to lose per week based on your maintenance levels. As you can see...the numbers you're hoping for just don't add up. You really need to reset your expectations.
    4wd4xt3v2jwb.jpg

I will say that a small deficit may not get the weight off quickly, but you will be able to enjoy the holidays and work in treats. There's no reason you need to exist on shakes and salads even for a week.

This is helpful. Thanks!
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    @MireyGal76 made this chart which shows how many pounds you can expect to lose per week based on your maintenance levels. As you can see...the numbers you're hoping for just don't add up. You really need to reset your expectations.
    4wd4xt3v2jwb.jpg

I will say that a small deficit may not get the weight off quickly, but you will be able to enjoy the holidays and work in treats. There's no reason you need to exist on shakes and salads even for a week.

This is helpful. Thanks!

Thanks for the shout out, @HappyCampr1!

OP, this comes from the thread: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1318741/in-5-weeks-youll-lose-10lbs-why-is-it-not-working

Please take it in that context. It is not safe for you to go below 1200 calories and with about 60 pounds to lose, you really should be looking at trying to lose NO MORE THAN 2lbs per week.

If you want something that is sustainable, then you need to train yourself to eat in a sustainable fashion. I've read your responses, and honestly... you need to mature your mindset in this area.

You WILL NOT achieve that aggressive a weight loss, not unless you are doing it in a highly unhealthy fashion. And if you destroy your body to get a nice body... well, what good is that?

A little tough love... enough with the I WANT IT NOW tantrum!! This is a mountain you have to climb. You cannot fly to the top and there is no point killing yourself to get there, if you cannot enjoy the view when you arrive.

So, lace up your hiking boots, adjust your pack, and start climbing.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    This is an INCREDIBLE loss - be proud of yourself!
    You aren't going to wake up tomorrow and miraculously be 25lbs lighter, it takes a lot of work and a lot of time. You need to start rewarding yourself and be proud. Self defeating attitude will not help you succeed