Increase or decrease calories

Options
When you plateau, how do you know when you need to decrease or increase your calorie deficit? There has to be a better way than trial and error.

Replies

• traceylynns
    traceylynns Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I wished it would have been a easy answer for me. I went up and down in cals for 2 months before I finally went up and started eating my TDEE minus 20% and now I am losing!
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    depends on where you are to being with. 12-1300 cals is too low no matter what you are trying to accomplish.

2000 or more, you might be eating at maintenance.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    When you plateau, how do you know when you need to decrease or increase your calorie deficit? There has to be a better way than trial and error.

Depends on your mindset. If you're an evidence based person you might look at the results of controlled experiments and see what happens there. For an obese person this would lead you to go on a low calorie diet for 4-6 weeks as the evidence shows this to be most effective.

Or you can listen to a bunch of randoms on web forums with arbitrary minimum calories and other quirks and try to figure that out, by trial and error.

Good luck ;-)
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    need more info....

BMR?

TDEE?

Daily calorie intake?

etc etc....