Any opinions on Adkins?

Options
I've just had a 2nd friend come out with some amazing results by sticking to the Adkins diet and it's got me interested.
We've all seen those fad diets come and go and those weight loss tricks that might not work (I still don't believe in those skinny wraps!) but this one may be something I'm willing to try.

I asked my cousin who has 4 children and has lost all her weight after each child and is a beach body coach (of course she always tries to get me to buy that stuff...) and she said " It's totally up to you!!! Atkins can cause artery problems and high cholesterol so it's never something I personally recommend"

This is honestly just an idea, i haven't been on here for months and I wanted to kickstart my return. Before I left i'd lost almost 30pds myself just by eating healthy,cutting out all soda, and exercising. So I know I can do it.

But has anyone ever tried Adkins? on it now? what do you think?

Replies

• NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I did Atkins-like diet in the late 90s on the advice of a doctor. I lost no weight, but man did I feel great. I was also falling asleep for hours after every gram of carbs I consumed, so that was the reason I was on it. If you ever look at the science, it's pretty legit in terms of insulin response (I was diagnosed with reactive hypoglycemia at the time, now known as insulin resistance), but not everyone needs such a severe diet. Ultimately the loss in normal healthy adults still equates to calories in < calories out. Most people lose on limited diets because limited diets mean less calories that can be consumed.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I hated low carb

Doesn't work for me

I lose quickly on low carb and put it all back on and more so when I crash and burn..and no matter what plan (Atkins, Harcombe, low-carb, keto), no matter what promises I made myself, I crashed and burned within 6-12 months every time
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    It's Atkins with a T. Worked for me and many others. Lost over 40 lbs in 6 months.

No factual evidence of health problems, cardiovascular measures generally improve (reduced triglycerides, increased HDL, reduced blood pressure).
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Oh! I forgot to mention the book that explained the science, which is in line with my biochemistry classes/textbook. It's called "Protein Power" by Drs. Eades. From what I remember, it was a good primer on what the body does, explaining the Insulin response and the Carnitine Pathway in a very easy to understand way, and this was my favorite part of biochem class, mostly because of what I went through as a Freshman in college.