My body likes to lose weight the wrong way!

Options
13»

Replies

• shadowconn
    shadowconn Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Well, thanks everyone for the input. I super appreciate it.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    What a coinkidink
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    According to your other thread, you lost 18lbs in 22 days but believe you should have lost 30+? M

Just no.

You either have some serious issues with food and self image or trolling.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Weight loss takes time and patience, it won't happen overnight, and you don't need to cut out meals, or cut out anything really, so long as you're in a deficit.

I'm losing weight after my 3rd baby and I eat bread, ice cream, cake etc as part of my 'diet' and I'm losing fine as I'm in a deficit. Working out a lot and running round after 3 kids helps for sure, but the main thing is I eat within my calorie allowance.

I'd stop weighing yourself every day too. Weight does fluctuate daily, even if you're not trying to lose weight.
  • oldbod
    oldbod Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    After my second child was born, I didn't count calories, I counted carbs and lost all my baby weight and more. Counting carbs just doesn't work for me now. :(
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    You really should readjust your expectations.

So what if you don't lose the weight by Christmas? Is the sun going to crash into the earth?
    You've lost ALOT of weight in 22 days and you're sitting here saying you don't have time to wait and how impatient you are? I'm sorry, but that's just ridiculous. Of course people are telling you the same thing... because it's TRUE. Weight loss takes time and patience. Doing it fast isn't healthy nor sustainable. You might not notice it now, but losing weight in an unhealthy manner like you want does have a negative impact on your health. Muscle loss, hair loss, brittle nails etc, plus you could look pretty sickly too. Don't count on looking very happy or healthy in those Christmas selfies. Though if you're happy to yo-yo all the time, go for it. I just know I wouldn't be happy to constantly have to re-lose the same 30 lbs. It'd get old, fast. Don't set yourself up for failure. Listen to the great advice you've gotten in both of your threads and do it the healthy way and exercise some friggin' patience.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Join the club. I have weeks at a stretch when I lose nothing, and then suddenly I've dropped 3 pounds, for no apparent reason. I lost a lot of weight when I was sick once, and could barely keep anything down, but that was not fun and not sustainable. I'm going for the long game that others in this thread have mentioned.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I drank a bunch of beer last night...dropped 1.5 Lbs from yesterday...guess I'll be slamming the beers....
    Kalikel wrote: »
    shadowconn wrote: »
    Well, at least I posted something that everyone can be entertained by.

I do hope you're laughing with us, because we're not laughing at you.

In reality, we've all been there. I could tell you stories about myself and how I used to think weight loss worked that make current me want to hide somewhere. I'm laughing at me.

The truth is that what shows up on the scale is rarely as simple or linear as you think it is. Weight loss is a long game. If you have good, solid logging and just stick to it? Buckle your seat belt and get ready for the ride. There's a downward trend, but the ride is bumpy as hell.
    Why would she think that? She posts something, is told she's wrong and has jokes made at her expense, mocking her idea. Then she posts worries and fears and is told she's doing it wrong and is called names...

...all to help her, of course. Really, she should be grateful, huh?

so telling her that she's making a spurious correlation and that weight loss is a long process is wrong...

you're really something else...
    I don't know that her motives were spurious.

Telling her that she's wrong and outright mocking/name-calling...two very different things.

her motives?

she is suggesting that there is a correlation between switching up her lunch calories for dinner calories and losing weight...that is a spurious correlation....

i.e. my example above...drank a bunch of beer last night...lost weight...ergo drinking beer leads to weight loss = spurious correlation.

Yes, and, as an aside to everyone, let's please stick to this point for the lurkers who might be helped by it instead of arguing about whether it's nice to point it out or not.

The truth is that people who really aren't ready to lose weight play all sorts of silly games like this with the scale, and most of us have done it in the past. A lot of myths surrounding weight loss get born this way.

None of them are true.

Fat loss happens from a calorie deficit, plain and simple. Permanent weight loss is achieved through the management of a balance of energy going in and out of the body.

Scale fluctuations happen for all sorts of reasons. You could have been lifting weights, increased your work outs, had a good or bad nights sleep, eaten a lot of salt, eaten more or less carbs than usual -- the list goes on.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    OP has indicated that she is expecting to lose about 1 lb/day and considers it impossible to accept that losing at a slower rate is necessary or that patience is something she should aspire for in weight loss. That's why she's frustrated and thinks that she needs to have coffee for dinner or the like to get the response she wants.

So the advice that that's not how it works seems quite appropriate to me. Losing weight doesn't have to be miserable. But of course you won't lose at the rate OP wants without a VLCD, if even then. That's supposed to be considered by MFP unhealthy and wrong to promote, unless OP is doing a doctor-supervised plan, which it seems she is not.

Therefore, the positive advice -- and presumably the advice permitted by MFP -- ought to be to help OP realize that her life can go on while she's losing weight. If that's so, maybe she won't feel so compelled to be in a hurry. There is zero reason to feel that she can't see her family or participate in any social events or must be isolated. That's the issue, one which is NOT likely to help her do this successfully.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,145 MFP Staff
    Options
    Cleaned up this discussion as much of it was derailing into an argument. Much of it contains solid advice so returning it in the hopes it can live on another day.