Those who say they can't: I say you can! 300lbs to a mountain marathon

Options
Hiker_Rob
Hiker_Rob Posts: 5,547 Member
edited August 2015 in Success Stories
There is little more satisfying than completing a mountain 1/2 marathon (20k / 2050' elevation gain) in the top 1/4 while reflecting on where you were 2 to 3 years earlier.
2 years ago I never thought I would have done this but there I was earlier this month crossing the finish line, totally used up but completely satisfied at the same time. 3 years ago I was a 300lb totally out of shape 2 pack a day smoker....
To every one out there who thinks they 'can't'; I'm telling you that you can! It may not be a mountain marathon that's in your goals but what ever it is - you CAN do it!

hm8bw0jxy4ll.png
htvupfxshil4.jpg

Replies

• Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Congratulations.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Amazing. I just did my first 5k, am building towards a10k and have fantasies of a marathon, but I'm 59 and can't convince myself that it's possible.
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    You are awesome ....What an amazing accomplishment and terrific transformation ...Well done sir ...You look great :)
  • janiep81
    janiep81 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Awesome! This is inspiring. My husband and I honeymooned in BC... I'd still like to move there one day. I'd run these things all the time just for the views. :)
  • WicklowWanderer
    WicklowWanderer Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Amazing, congratulations!
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    You awesomeeeee!! :#
  • Hiker_Rob
    Hiker_Rob Posts: 5,547 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Amazing. I just did my first 5k, am building towards a10k and have fantasies of a marathon, but I'm 59 and can't convince myself that it's possible.

Answer: Can do! A good friend of mine (57) is doing a 1/2 marathon next week and it's not his first. He was 10-11k about 6 months ago and he has not been running that many years. I think once you start building your endurance then the next steps become easier
  • provence9
    provence9 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Cool!
  • whiteblossom14
    whiteblossom14 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Awesome well done x
  • Crochet180
    Crochet180 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Inspirational!
  • cairoqueen27
    cairoqueen27 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    well done! such a healthy change to your life :)
  • maureented
    maureented Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    GREAT job!
  • CarrieA180
    CarrieA180 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your very inspirational success! Congrats! :)
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    That is just SO cool! Congrats!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Well done!
    umrcwnnzt9uv.gif
  • hotnumber
    hotnumber Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    You're a great inspiration!
  • grwrn
    grwrn Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    thumbs.gif
  • nurselroy
    nurselroy Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Great job and thanks for sharing. I've done a few 5Ks and will be doing my first 10K in a few months, but my biggest goal is to do a half marathon so this was very motivating and encouraging
  • lilray01
    lilray01 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I don't know what to congratulate you on first. Giving up smoking, losing the weight, doing a half marathon, doing a mountain one at that, and finishing in the top 1/4. All are awesome accomplishments. As a fellow half marathoner I just have to say "You Rock"!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!