First time posting...question about MFP with Bodymedia LINK

Options
Hey! I have been on MFP before-never posted anything and never had a supportive group, just myself and a couple of friends- and with that, last summer I lost 20 lbs, but I let them come back. I am determined right now to make healthy choices by exercising and cutting out fast food (I am a teacher, so having the summer off will be the perfect opportunity for me to create good habits). SO, getting back on topic...I bought a bodymedia link (bodybugg) to help keep me on track and see what I am doing and LOVE that it links with MFP. Question is...do I go with the calories it allots me on there or here? I was using the runtastic app that links with MFP, but since the bodymedia will show accurate calories burned, do I still use that runtastic app when I walk? Also, I would love to have a supportive group of friends, so if anyone is willing to help out a newbie, I'd love it :) Thanks so much!!

Replies

• jadelunar
    jadelunar Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I would say, always go with Bodymedia fit calories burned, not Runtastic. In my experience, Bodymedia is very accurate.

Start using your bodymedia armband for a few days and see how many calories you're burning. I set up my calorie goal based on how many calories I burn in a day based on bodymedia without exercise, just normal daily activity. Then I subtract 500 calories to arrive at my calorie goal, since my goal is to lose 1 lb per week. If I burn extra calories, I will eat back some or all of those exercise calories. Make sure you manually set your MFP and Bodymedia calorie goal to be the same.

For example:
    I burn about 2050 calories per day from normal daily activity.
    My calorie goal to lose 1 lb/week = 1550 calories

Feel free to send me a friend request! I hope that helps.
  • better_than_yesterday
    Options
    Yes-that makes sense! Right now, I have them different, so that was a great tip!! So, when you do additional workouts, do you just let the bodymedia 'record it' and not worry about posting the workout in MFP? Thanks so much :)
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    with the fitibt you can enter your exercise here but with the clock times of the exercise, and it then ignores the fitbit data from that time period. If you don't log it here it uses the fitbit number for the calorie adjustment.

I'm guessing its the same. Is there a Group for Bodymedia users that you fancy http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/search?utf8=✓&phrase=bodymedia