another pasta question!!

Options
Hi
I know this is a question that's come up loads but I still can't seem to understand an answer...
Right, I weighed out 50g dry wholegrain fusilli pasta today and boiled it.
I weighed after which was 103g.
What do I track this as? Do I do 103g cooked or 50g cooked?
Carbs are a nightmare for me so I want to make sure I've done it right.
I only had a pasta salad for dinner and as I used 103g cooked as what I had, turns out I have had over 600 calories for dinner including the salad with it.
I hope someone can help me. I know it's just added water but still don't know if it's cooked at 50g or cooked at 103g
Thanks in advance

Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Weigh dry pasta, use the database entry for dry pasta. The nutrition labels for packaged dry pasta are for the uncooked weight.

Same with rice, oatmeal, etc.
  • xxdebbiexx1984
    xxdebbiexx1984 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you :-) I've been wanting to use the dry weight but was so worried it isn't right and end up overeating because I'm measuring wrong!! I know it's just water weight but wasn't sure if the carb weights become more which turns into more calories etc!!
  • xxdebbiexx1984
    xxdebbiexx1984 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Just for anyone else still unsure....I've spoken to a nutritionist and yes, weigh dry and use that weight!!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I use the dry weight
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Use dry weight for dry or cooked weight for cooked, but preferably dry weight for dry, because cooked pasta absorbs different amounts of water depending on how long you cook it.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Dry if possible.

However, if you do forget, using the correct database entry for cooked isn't the end of the world and is nothing to stress about. The level of inaccuracy will have no effect whatsoever on long-term goals.