Anyone can? I'm making unsweetened applasauce today.

Options
2»

Replies

• quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    You should try canning homemade apple butter also. My kids love it. We eat it on waffles, toast and peanut butter sandwiches (to name a few). Its super easy to make in the crockpot--I let mine cook overnight then process in the morning. Your house will smell absolutely divine :)!

I've done apple butter, but my kids prefer traditional jam, so that's what I make. :)

• quiltlovinlisa
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    Apple sauce freezes very well, so it is great to have extra for deserts. I like to mix it with plain Fage yogurt to make it more palatable and to add protein to the apples. I make apple sauce during the winter months with any kind of apples available, specially on sale. I core them and cut them but I don't peel them and I only add 1 tps of vanilla extract. The immersible blender comes very handy too. The apple sauce is also good to serve with pork chops.

It is very versatile. Vanilla sounds like a lovely addition. I usually do cinnamon and sometime currant apple sauce, but we have a red currant bush.

We don't have the freezer space, so canning it is.

What do you add to the canned apple sauce so they last longer? I am afraid that they will turn bad very soon if I don't keep them in the fridge or the freezer.
    I have also added fresh apricots to the apples while cooking if I prepare the sauce at the end of the summer. It does give it a different and pleasant taste.

Properly canned applesauce will last for a year, but we've eaten from jars 3 years old. As long as it looks fine, smells fine and the seal is intact, it doesn't spoil.

I do water bath piping hot applesauce for 20 minutes in a roaring boil. You can only water bath fruits, jams jellies and pickles, Everything else needs to be pressure canned.

• quiltlovinlisa
    Options
    br3adman wrote: »
    Mash the juice out of them add sugar and wine yeast and make some wine. I cook with my homemade wine or give it away. It's just fun making it.

I have some friends that would enjoy trying an apple wine.

• br3adman
    br3adman Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Mash the juice out of them add sugar and wine yeast and make some wine. I cook with my homemade wine or give it away. It's just fun making it.

I have some friends that would enjoy trying an apple wine.

I've made apple its sweet good for deglazing fresh green beans ect. Pear is funky so if you find pear trees just eat them lol
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,147 Member
    Options
    Apple sauce freezes very well, so it is great to have extra for deserts. I like to mix it with plain Fage yogurt to make it more palatable and to add protein to the apples. I make apple sauce during the winter months with any kind of apples available, specially on sale. I core them and cut them but I don't peel them and I only add 1 tps of vanilla extract. The immersible blender comes very handy too. The apple sauce is also good to serve with pork chops.

It is very versatile. Vanilla sounds like a lovely addition. I usually do cinnamon and sometime currant apple sauce, but we have a red currant bush.

What do you add to the canned apple sauce so they last longer? I am afraid that they will turn bad very soon if I don't keep them in the fridge or the freezer.
    I have also added fresh apricots to the apples while cooking if I prepare the sauce at the end of the summer. It does give it a different and pleasant taste.

Properly canned applesauce will last for a year, but we've eaten from jars 3 years old. As long as it looks fine, smells fine and the seal is intact, it doesn't spoil.

I do water bath piping hot applesauce for 20 minutes in a roaring boil. You can only water bath fruits, jams jellies and pickles, Everything else needs to be pressure canned.

Thank you!
  • quiltlovinlisa
    Options

Thank you!

You are welcome. :)

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I can pretty much everything, including simple tomato paste (no sugar, salt or vinegar to help with preservation), without a pressure canner and without water baths. It is a tip I learned about 10 years ago and saves a lot of time:
    Clean the jars and lids and place them in the oven. Heat them to 100 celsius degrees for 20 minutes.
    While the jam, sauce or whatever is still boiling hot, fill the jars to the top, screw the lids tightly (you will need oven gloves, as everything will be hot), and then place the jars upside down on a flat surface and let them cool.
    Then store as normally. They last for years. I just opened this summer a jar of pear jam and a jar of tomato sauce, forgotten since 2012 and they were perfect. The only limitation in the method is you need screw lids.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

This sounds VERY interesting. Where do you find wine yeast?
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I love making my own apple sauce, rhubarb compote and jam! I usually just oven sterilise jars and fill them when the jam or similar is still hot i still have jars from a few years ago that are still good.

there are loads of methods for canning and bottling fruits and veg i find the old cookbooks the best especially if you don't have all the fancy kit like sugar thermometers etc i have one book that has about 4 different sterilising methods!

Currently i have 3types of jam and rhubarb compote in the pantry from this years effort so far!
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    I can pretty much everything, including simple tomato paste (no sugar, salt or vinegar to help with preservation), without a pressure canner and without water baths. It is a tip I learned about 10 years ago and saves a lot of time:
    Clean the jars and lids and place them in the oven. Heat them to 100 celsius degrees for 20 minutes.
    While the jam, sauce or whatever is still boiling hot, fill the jars to the top, screw the lids tightly (you will need oven gloves, as everything will be hot), and then place the jars upside down on a flat surface and let them cool.
    Then store as normally. They last for years. I just opened this summer a jar of pear jam and a jar of tomato sauce, forgotten since 2012 and they were perfect. The only limitation in the method is you need screw lids.
    Just an fyi:
    This is NOT considered safe. Yes, people have done it for years and years, but the canning guidelines for safe food handling say big no. Unless you can verify the product is acidic enough, tomato products like sauce, must be pressure canned to ensure no botulism.

Eta: since you used Celsius, I assume you aren't in the US. It's the US guidelines that say no.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Just an fyi:
    This is NOT considered safe. Yes, people have done it for years and years, but the canning guidelines for safe food handling say big no. Unless you can verify the product is acidic enough, tomato products like sauce, must be pressure canned to ensure no botulism.

Eta: since you used Celsius, I assume you aren't in the US. It's the US guidelines that say no.

I'm not familiar with the oven method above, but tomatoes are acidic and don't need pressure canned. A hot water bath is pretty standard. Adding a tsp of lemon juice to each jar can up the acid content if you are concerned.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    Options
    I've heard with tomatoes that unless it's an heirloom variety, most modern tomatoes don't have the acid they use to have and should be pressured canned. That said, most of my friend water bath them. I don't can tomatoes, soooooo, I have no personal experience, only what I've read.

As to oven canning, I concur, it's not safe. There's no way to ensure that all the product gets to the right temperature. I've done jam without water bath decades ago, but they changed the guidelines and now I do a five minute water bath just to be sure. Botulism is nothing to mess with.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Bravo! Sounds delicious. I found a slow cooker recipe with cinnamon but I'm not making as much as you. Since I'm not sterilizing them, I store the apple sauce in the refrigerator. I've got half a jar left.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Bravo! Sounds delicious. I found a slow cooker recipe with cinnamon but I'm not making as much as you. Since I'm not sterilizing them, I store the apple sauce in the refrigerator. I've got half a jar left.

Few people make as much as I do, but I have five kids (two teen girls and 1 tween boy and 9 year old twins boys that out eat my husband!) We plow through a lot.

Sounds like you enjoyed what you made. :) When the kids leave, I imagine I'll can a lot less.