Farmers Market Finds :)

Options
TNoire
TNoire Posts: 642 Member
edited August 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Today I went shopping with some friends at our local market, I found some HUGE Zucchini's for $1 each, as well as a big bag of salad mix for $4 and my husband and I have been eating a lot of homemade ramen as of late too so I got some of that also, fresh honey & more!

If you ever gone to a local market, what have you found? What was your fav finds? and if you have pictures POST EM! :)

9dpveuqghdwb.jpg
j2kdq5ubdaxe.jpg
087r46vg71wh.jpg

Replies

• shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Last weekend I got two big gray zucchini for $1. It is an heirloom variety that I have never seen before. Very good. Also got two little buttercup squashes for $1 Two nice green peppers for $1, a bag of huge delicious peaches for $5, and a head of red cabbage for $1.50.

I also got 1/2 pound of home made fudge and a half dozen Amish raisin filled cookies.

Week before I got Bananas for $1 a bunch, 5 lovely big ripe tomatoes for $4, Peaches for $4 and baby red potatoes for $2

I love going to the farmers market. Just really wish I still had my little chest freezer that I used to fill every year. I saved so much money on groceries by buying i bulk and freezing.

I am really looking forward to fall apples and winter squashes.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Well not the farmer's market but I went to Shop Rite and I like browsing the 50% off case... They had a big container of strawberries and blueberries in there, said it was 50% off at $8.. Still a good deal.

It rang up at $0.99. LOL.

One of the produce stores here had Pink Ladies apples at 79c a pound a couple weeks ago. I bought 10 pounds.

The Farmer market here don't really have fantastic deals. They do have delicious baked goods though so I tend to avoid it...
  • vicky1947mfp
    vicky1947mfp Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Went to local Farmers Market and got fresh okra, tomatoes, corn on cob and new potatoes.

Needless to say, we had a delicious dinner with just about 3 ounces of ribeye steak added for protein each.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I wore my Monsanto t-shirt to the Farmers Market last month to earn some shillbucks, and while I was there I found some lovely seeds I'm looking forward to planting in a few weeks when it gets warmer.

79644F83-7C0A-4203-985B-F4C51B292E18_zps4xra3aq2.jpg
  • katzenfluff
    katzenfluff Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Heirloom tomatoes, a cucumber, a beautiful eggplant and sweet corn.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    The farmer's markets here tend to be more expensive than the grocery store. That said, the produce tends to taste better, so I buy what I can. I got a container of cherry tomatoes last Wednesday for $3.50 and the guy gave me a bonus big tomato since it was getting close to the end of the afternoon. I also got a huge, beautiful hydrangea stalk that's currently sitting on the top of my entertainment center for $1. It dried, so I can keep it up there for months.

Also, those zucchini are probably too big to actually eat. I'll bet they're full of seeds, which is probably why they were so cheap. I'd suggest peeling them and shredding the outside part to use in zucchini bread.
  • TNoire
    TNoire Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Yes @Strawblackcat I was going to make bread AND I was going to also grill some today with the smoked turkey im making =D
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Went today, huge cantaloupe for $3, huge zucchinis for $1, we got some green beans too but prices were not that amazing otherwise.