Got a very bad cold....

Options
Hi, I have a very bad cold at the moment, sore throat, chesty cough etc and basically still at the staying in bed stage wanting to sleep. I have lost my appetite, plus it hurts to swallow.

When I was logging food yesterday I was way under my calorie allowance, but I did drink plenty of water. I feel a bit better today, it still hurts to swallow though.

So, does it matter if you dont want to eat when you feel unwell, many thanks

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    I'd go with the appetite while unwell, but if you are up to it..some chicken soup made with real chicken stock will do you the world of wonders.

• yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Not eating as much for a few days while you're ill won't do you any harm. You're probably being less active than usual and so burning less calories, so it shouldn't put you into too steep a deficit for too long. Eating properly can make you feel better quicker though, so I would try and get light meals in if nothing else.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I really wouldn't worry about how you body is going to react to your illness - instead, concentrate on getting better and get lots of rest. I'm a big fan of the 'human being' approach. If your body is telling you it isn't hungry and can't stand the thought of food due to an illness, don't force it. Ride it out and I hope you feel on form soon :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Get healthy and worry about the rest later.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    What others are saying. Feel free to log to keep the habit, but listen to your body while you are sick!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have a very bad cold at the moment, sore throat, chesty cough etc and basically still at the staying in bed stage wanting to sleep. I have lost my appetite, plus it hurts to swallow.

When I was logging food yesterday I was way under my calorie allowance, but I did drink plenty of water. I feel a bit better today, it still hurts to swallow though.

So, does it matter if you dont want to eat when you feel unwell, many thanks

If you don't feel like eating when sick, then you don't have to. Take care of yourself, get plenty of rest, and I hope you feel better soon!
  • skinnymalinkyscot
    skinnymalinkyscot Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    thank for the replies everyone especially mentioning chicken soup!! which sounds great