Dating and Dieting

Options
I wouldn't exactly say I am on a diet but I am trying to eat better and lose the 15 lbs I have put on since dating my boyfriend. During the week, I tend to work out everyday and eat relatively healthy. But on the weekends, when spending time with my bf, I eat and eat and eat. I also drink quite a bit of beer. We go to good restaurants and enjoy good food but my waist line is paying the price. I am looking for ideas to balance my love of eating delicious (but not always goal friendly) food and the healthy life I lead during the week. How do you deal with dating and dieting?

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,215 Member
    Options
    When I was dating, many years ago now, I was borderline underweight. Part of the reason for that was because I insisted on active dates ... in other words, we went cycling or hiking or walking or something. Usually cycling. My boyfriends during my dating phase were almost all cyclists like me ... and the one I married is a cyclist.

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Eat and drink a bit less on the weekends. It's really quite simple. It's not like your bf is shoving the food in your face and pouring beer down your throat, is it? And if it is, your weight is the least of your problems. ;)

When losing the weight is more important to you than bingeing on the weekends, you'll figure it out then. :)
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Request a take out container, when ordering your food; then cut it in half or quarters & immediately place the other half or 3 quarters, in the take out container or possibly share a meal like an appetizer instead of ordering your own.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,215 Member
    Options
    One of the things I do now when I eat out is to order a salad with no dressing as an appetiser. I fill up on veggies and eat less of whatever else there is.

There are all kinds of little tips like that.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You don't have to pick the higher calorie item on the menu and have to drink 4 beers.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    My eating habits and lifestyle change when I get into a relationship and I gain weight too. I've just lost the 15 pounds I gained after meeting B. We went to a fabulous restaurant Friday. When my entree came, I cut it in half, ate half of it (slowly and mindfully, savoring every delicious bite), and brought the rest home. I skipped appetizers and dessert, and limited myself to two drinks.

I knew we were going out, so ate lighter during the day and made sure to get in exercise.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I lost 30 pounds when I started dating my boyfriend. At first it was easy because I was decently overweight. Now I have to shave off 100 calories from my deficit so I can have a few extra for drinks and dinner on the weekend. But even with that, many times I really have to choose the salad and get one drink while he devours fries and delicious things. It's worth it to me right now though because I know I'll be at goal in a couple months. I'm still enjoying my time with him. I'm having more fun knowing how awesome I'm going to look once I'm lean than filling up on 1200 calorie dinners.
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I agree, pick healthier calorie options and maybe cut back a bit on the drinks. If you plan your calories for the day ahead of time, you could go for a quick exercise before seeing him and that would give you some extra calories to play around with later in the day.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Beelzibub
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Drink stout or vodka. But, I don't know, it's fun to go to restaurants if you like food (which I guess we all do, lol). I still remember amazing dishes from years ago. Eat less beforehand, or work out a bit more, or maybe limit yourself to grilled meat + salad every *other* time.
  • 5ft9andgettingtrim
    5ft9andgettingtrim Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Doggy bags. Portion control. It's okay to have a cheat day in there too.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    You are not dating, you are in a relationship. Not the same thing at all.

Choose to do more active things together instead of getting caught in the rut of focusing on food for all of your entertainment.

I deal with dating and dieting by dating other dancers. We MOVE. :)
  • lovelymusiclady
    lovelymusiclady Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I had this problem when dating my ex. We mostly just sat around, drank and ate. He was one of those "I can eat anything without consequences" people, which I am not. I was never really honest with him about watching my weight. I was really embarrassed by it and didn't want him to perceive me as being fat. As a result, whenever we hung out I fell off the band wagon and my weight steadily increased.

The relationship didn't work out anyway. Looking back I wish that I had been upfront from the beginning that my health is important to me and I'm a person who keeps track of what I eat. If I had done that I most likely wouldn't be where I am today weight wise. And if he had really had a problem with it (which I doubt any guy would) then I would have known he's not the guy for me.

At least now I know for next time!

Hope this helps!
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem on week ends,
    drinking too many calories. :s
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Save up calories during the week for a little extra on the weekend. Learn moderation and be conscientious and you should be golden.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    My husband knew from our first date that I was dieting, as he took me to a chocolate cafe and I had green tea!

He was always supportive, and I saved up my cheat meal to have with him on the weekend. It's very easy when in a relationship to gain weight, especially as a woman - sometimes you split things or have similar portions, forgetting that men consume more calories! I learned this in my first long-term relationship when I piled on the kilos while my partner stayed beanpole skinny.

So I'm responsible for my own eating, and for saying no when he might be able to say yes. And this second bout of losing (baby) weight has been more successful than ever - he gets bigger portions, he snacks, he does whatev, I do me. And I still save up calories for treats on the weekend, cos that's how I roll.
  • cwilso37
    cwilso37 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I fail to see how this is a "dating" issue.

From what I gather: Weekdays good, weekends bad. You are responsible for what goes in your mouth and when. Has nothing to do with you dating and has everything to do with you choosing to binge.
  • marsinah1
    marsinah1 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Choosing healthier options and portion control. A lot of restaurants will box up half your meal before even bringing your plate out, if you ask them.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Active dates that include walking, swimming...even batting cages or mini golf. Something that keeps us moving.

Since eating healthy and never drinking alcohol is what I do, I'm really up front about it. I don't plan to change, so they may as well find it out early. If they need someone to go to bars with, I'm not the right person for them. If they like to eat out a lot, ditto.

If they're not going to be able to deal with it, better to find out early, anyway!

I cook and sometimes pack food to picnic. I thought this might be a problem, but I've been surprised to find that most men like eating real food in a kitchen and don't mind picnicking. I ask if it would be okay if we eat at my house before going and so far, they're like, "Sure!" I make something we both like, we eat and go.

The weighing of food is something I don't mention until they see me do it. Right away, I admit that it's a little nuts and that I plan to stop when I'm done losing weight. I'm naturally attracted to guys with a little beer belly, so they're usually supportive of the whole "watching my weight" thing. One even told me he'd lost 80 pounds. :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem when I start dating someone new... I get that nervous that my appetite disappears.