How do you cool off after exercise?

Options
When I have a particularly long/hard workout, I seem to sweat for a million years afterward.... I did a cool down, stretching, more cool down.... waited about a half hour to take a shower to be sure I was finally done sweating (the joke's on me, apparently I'm never done sweating) and it's been a full hour and half since leaving the track and I'm still sweating. Not profusely, but I'm just... uncomfortable.

So my question to ya'll is: How do you cool off after a workout? Should I try taking a colder shower? Longer cool down? Breathing exercises? Could it be because I'm new at this? (Only been running for about 3 weeks now)

Replies

• rumijs
    rumijs Posts: 218 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    If it's a hot day, I can count on never cooling down after a morning run. My temp stays up most of day regardless of cool down. Cold showers definitely help. When I'm done with a run I usually walk 5 min, stretch 5 min, go drink a cold blended protein shake, log my miles and food, then take a shower. So it's a good 30 minutes process on some days lol
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Usually a nice beer.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I lay down across the bench in the locker room while sipping water and wait it out before showering.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Cold shower, cold drink, fan on.

Although I live in the UK, so our days of hot weather are limited.
  • bkerr30
    bkerr30 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Run cold water on your pulse points (wrists being the easiest) a trick I learned working as a chef in hot restaurant kitchens :)
  • unrelentingminx
    unrelentingminx Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I have a 10 minute walk home from the gym so I just use that as my cool down and a large glass of water when I get in.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said, plus you could try an ice pack on the back of your neck.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Cool shower before or after a bike ride home from the gym.
  • pinkgumdrop123
    pinkgumdrop123 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. I find drinking something cold and just not moving helps lol
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Shower? What's that?

You might find you cool down / your body gets to recovery (lower heart rate) faster as you progress. I sweat like a fire hose but tend to cool down fairly quickly these days, one year in.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    bkerr30 wrote: »
    Run cold water on your pulse points (wrists being the easiest) a trick I learned working as a chef in hot restaurant kitchens :)

Oooh, I'm going to try that during hot flashes.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    Cool off by putting your body somewhere where it's cooler. Like a cold shower or air conditioned room. Everyone doesn't cool down the same, so you'll have to do trial and error to find out what works best.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    Pool - swimming
    bath / shower
    Lay down for a bit drinking water
    ice cubes
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    In the southeast, I ride my bike after work when it is 95 degree outside.

Ride 30-40 miles

And drink two bottles of water that you sweat out instantly

Put towels in the car seats and take it home for a cold shower and lay in the bed under the ceiling fan!

Then I cool down!
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I walk after I run, for around 30 minutes. I start off quite fast and slow my pace down as I go.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    After a hot long run, I drink some cold water and/or Gatorade, and lately I've eaten a popsicle as well (just a ~50 calorie fruit one). The frozen treat really helps me stop sweating more quickly, which is great because I'm in the same sweaty boat as you are ;)
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Cool downs can be a slow thing for me in the summer. After a hard bike ride I hate walking into the house dripping sweat! So I tend to chill in the garage while drinking plenty of fluids until I get cooled down a decent level, then head inside for the cold shower.

I've started easing my riding pace the last few miles to help cool down. On a bike you often don't notice how much you are sweating due to the wind, but when you slow down or stop it becomes painfully obvious!