Replies

• snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Goldfish crackers.
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    If you want low cal crunch, go for celery.
  • GillianLF
    GillianLF Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Seeds usually.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    When I still lived at home, I would toss about a tablespoon of Grapenuts cereal on my salads. My grandmother always had a box around. I didn't like it as a cereal, but loved it as a salad topping for texture and crunch and they didn't get soggy or add any odd flavor to my salads.

I should buy a box of Grapenuts for myself for this purpose. I just can't imagine going through that huge box quickly enough without also eating it as cereal.
  • D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Water chestnuts are nice and crunchy
  • sarahjeannelevin
    sarahjeannelevin Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Jicama is really crunchy and, while perfect in a Mexican salad, goes well with many things.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I was going to say that croutons are really not that bad, calorie-wise. Cucumber is my second choice. I see someone mentioned crispy chinese egg noodles; that sounds great.

How about shredded apples and carrots? This is their season right now.

Nuts and dried fruits add great variety and crunch/chewiness but they add calories quickly. This is how restaurants manage to serve up salads with more calories than their pasta!
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    artificial crab meat. Low in cals and decent .
    Salad toppers (sold at costco...kind of a blend on seeds, hard noodles).
  • alt5057
    alt5057 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I like to add corn to a salad to give it a bunch of extra flavor. I also use romaine lettuce that has more of a crunch in the ribs throughout the salad. Sometimes I'll add mini sweet peppers, but still haven't convinced myself if I actually like it. But they do add a crunch if that is what you are looking for and like them raw!
  • Chabela53
    Chabela53 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Radishes, celery, bell peppers. I don't do the croutons because I am not doing any flour, and no white sugar in my plan.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Fresh jalapeno diced very small. They add a very interesting dimension to salads. If they're small, they aren't really spicy, but it's just kind of like a little pop every time you get one.