My arms are fat...

Options
Kimbot88
Kimbot88 Posts: 109 Member
edited August 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
My arms are fat (well all of me is). It's a family thing apparently, these big arms. I walk/jog and I lift weights for a total of seven days a week. I do count calories and macros. When I tell people I work out they're surprised because I don't look fit or whatever. Anyway, I know I can't "spot reduce," but do you have any tips for my arms? More tricep workouts? More shoulder workouts? Less carbs? I want to lose weight all over and it's very difficult for me so if you want to comment on my large butt or thighs with helpful tips that would be fine as well. I'm open to all suggestions. ea3p4bsuadfa.jpg

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Eat at a calorie defecit

Follow a progressive lifting programme 3x a week
    Cardio for 2x 30 minute session
    Take rest days

Read this: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/10/26/how-to-not-suck-at-working-out/

Get a programme
    Books
    Strong Curves
    New Rules of Lifting for Women

Structured online programmes
    http://stronglifts.com/5x5/
    https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout
    http://www.muscleandfitness.com/workouts/workout-routines/4-week-guide-starting-strength
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I think you have a great shape - you're rocking an hour glass figure. I really wouldn't call your arms (or your legs) big.

If you want to see change, I think you'll just have to keep lowering your body fat percentage. I've found that lifting heavy weights makes a difference. What's your current routine?
  • Kimbot88
    Options
    I'm going to reiterate for clarification that I walk/jog and I life weights. I walk or jog 7 days a week for 30-60 minutes each day. My weight lifting sessions are 3 days a week, about half an hour. I stay at or below 1100 calories day.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    1100 calories a day? You're probably burning through your muscles by eating so little, sorry to tell you.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Kimbot88 wrote: »
    I'm going to reiterate for clarification that I walk/jog and I life weights. I walk or jog 7 days a week for 30-60 minutes each day. My weight lifting sessions are 3 days a week, about half an hour. I stay at or below 1100 calories day.

My post wasn't a minimum it was a programme

What progressive weight programme are you following
    Where's your rest day
    How are you judging your calorie intake? Weighing and accurately logging your food?
  • Kimbot88
    Options
    I think you have a great shape - you're rocking an hour glass figure. I really wouldn't call your arms (or your legs) big.

If you want to see change, I think you'll just have to keep lowering your body fat percentage. I've found that lifting heavy weights makes a difference. What's your current routine?
    I appreciate that.. But I really really hate my body. So much.

I do a ton of squats. Usually just body weight or with 10-15 lb. hand weights. Various curls at 10-15 lbs. Tricep lifts and kick backs at 15 lbs. And some ab stuff. I probably need a better "routine."
  • Kimbot88
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Eat at a calorie defecit

Follow a progressive lifting programme 3x a week
    Cardio for 2x 30 minute session
    Take rest days

Read this: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/10/26/how-to-not-suck-at-working-out/

Get a programme
    Books
    Strong Curves
    New Rules of Lifting for Women

Structured online programmes
    http://stronglifts.com/5x5/
    https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout
    http://www.muscleandfitness.com/workouts/workout-routines/4-week-guide-starting-strength

Those are some good links. Thank you.
  • Kimbot88
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

My post wasn't a minimum it was a programme

What progressive weight programme are you following
    Where's your rest day
    How are you judging your calorie intake? Weighing and accurately logging your food?

I don't follow an actual program but maybe that is what I need. I don't have rest days per se because some days all I do is go for a brisk 30-40 walk.

I weigh EVERYTHING in grams and log everything including vitamins and supplements.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    But I really really hate my body. So much.

Every time i hear that, this automatically gets posted: B)
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=8jhcxOhIMAQ
  • Kimbot88
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    1100 calories a day? You're probably burning through your muscles by eating so little, sorry to tell you.

But then I'd at least be losing weight, right? And that's not happening. I was at 1200 but lowered it because I wasn't seeing results. I don't want to eat TOO much.

• Kimbot88
    Options
    I also only have hand weights up to 30 lbs. so any lifting regime requiring the bars would unfortunately not work for me.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

But then I'd at least be losing weight, right? And that's not happening. I was at 1200 but lowered it because I wasn't seeing results. I don't want to eat TOO much.

You're probably underestimating how many calories you're eating then.
  • Kimbot88
    Options

You're probably underestimating how many calories you're eating then.

I weigh everything in grams. And I log everything accurately including vitamins and supplements.
  • wendyparry589
    wendyparry589 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try to stick to a routine for a few months ie: legs, chest and biceps, legs,shoulders and triceps etc then change the exercises. Or mix exercises. Push yourself when you feel good. Eat more calories maybe 1500.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    From what I've read, you can't build muscle on a deficit and at 27 years old (and from the picture you look like a fairly tall gal), 1100 calories is pretty low. I eat more than that on active days, and I'm old enough to be your mother and also petite. That's typical intake for someone who is sedentary. If you can open your diet we can help advise on macros (more protein?) and what you need to safely lose but still retain muscle.
  • Kimbot88
    Options
    rosebette wrote: »
    From what I've read, you can't build muscle on a deficit and at 27 years old (and from the picture you look like a fairly tall gal), 1100 calories is pretty low. I eat more than that on active days, and I'm old enough to be your mother and also petite. That's typical intake for someone who is sedentary. If you can open your diet we can help advise on macros (more protein?) and what you need to safely lose but still retain muscle.

I'm actually only 5'1. If I expanded the picture you'd see my tall skinny friends and see how fat and short I am next to them. Mfp recommended 1200 for me because I have a desk job. I'm really not too keen on doing much more than 1200 because I gain weight very easily. You are right about protein. I have a hard time getting enough protein and I easily go over my carbs. I am trying to work on that and I've started supplementing with protein powder after workouts.

• rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1.5", and it is hard to get enough protein on 1100 or 1200. Try to get at least the RDA of protein, which I think is around 45 grams for a female, but ideally, you should be getting closer .8 to 1 gram per pound of lean body mass. I weigh around 120 and try to get in the 80s; I didn't do too well today because I was at a workshop and lunch was pizza. By the way, my diary is open (although I was away the past few days so didn't log for a bit) if you want to see what a balance might look like in the 1200 or so range.
  • Kimbot88
    Options
    I'm going to send you a friend request so you can see my diary. Ignore yesterday because I was at the fair and just quick added a large amount of calories to cover myself.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options

I appreciate that.. But I really really hate my body. So much.

I do a ton of squats. Usually just body weight or with 10-15 lb. hand weights. Various curls at 10-15 lbs. Tricep lifts and kick backs at 15 lbs. And some ab stuff. I probably need a better "routine."

Agree with the above posters that you'd benefit from a progressive lifting program. The weight you're using aren't doing it for you. I think you'd benefit from building in compound lifts and heavier weights (you won't get bulky, I promise). You can also intensify body weight exercises if you lack equipment at home - try convict conditioning or twelve minute athlete.

Also, I'm sure you know this but changing your body may not change your feeling towards it. My experience is that they can be mutually exclusive. When I was at my thinnest, I hated my body more than I do now. I think you'd find plenty of people on here who have made massive changes to their bodies, including reaching their goal body fat/weight, and still not liking what they see in the mirror.

I also think you should eat more - you need to fuel your body properly if you're exercising I'm 5"2 and eat 1300 net, and get generally around 100 of protein as well. I'm still losing comfortably.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    My arms are fat (well all of me is). It's a family thing apparently, these big arms. I walk/jog and I lift weights for a total of seven days a week. I do count calories and macros. When I tell people I work out they're surprised because I don't look fit or whatever. Anyway, I know I can't "spot reduce," but do you have any tips for my arms? More tricep workouts? More shoulder workouts? Less carbs? I want to lose weight all over and it's very difficult for me so if you want to comment on my large butt or thighs with helpful tips that would be fine as well. I'm open to all suggestions.

There's really only one way to thin out your arms and that's to lower your body fat overall. For me, for every 9 lbs of weight lost, I shed 1 inch off my arms. I've already lost ~3 inches at my upper arm and still need 1 more even though I'm down to 126. I tend to store more fat in my arms than butt(typical apple shape). It's genetics.

I've only been doing high intensity cardio like cycling, spinning, elliptical with high resistance and hiking hills (recently bumped to 10-14 hrs to speed up fat loss). I eat a high carb (75%) diet, mainly plant based and 1600-1700 cals. I'm 5'5". Now that I've lost majority of excess fat, I'll start strength training (through calisthenics coz I detest barbells). At least now without the fat, I'll be able to visually see my muscles getting more toned.

You're already weight lifting which is great but you probably have some awesome muscles underneath all that fat. You won't see them until you drop the fat. And as we know, fat loss is about deficit regardless of macros. Since your calories are already low, the only way to speed up fat loss is to increase cardio intensity/time. You may have to increase calories a bit to be able to do so. Generally, body fat drops evenly from everywhere so forget about targeting individual body parts. Your body will do what it do.