shift work meal planning for nights?

Options
deup
deup Posts: 129 Member
i am going into 12 hour nights work wise mostly sitting, and i am wondering if anyone else does nights like example. 5 pm till 5 am. how does one plan for eating and does night effect the diet? or weight loss effect from lower calorie intakes?

Replies

• choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    My husband works over night (9pm - 6am). He has been able to lose 20+ lbs with no issues. His meal schedule is just different from mine. He will eat dinner with me, then he brings a "second" dinner to work with him. When he come home in the am, he has his breakfast.

As long as you are creating a deficit you will lose weight no matter what time you eat.
  • lindaloo1213
    lindaloo1213 Posts: 283 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I work nights. (Since feb 2012)
    I havent had any issues losing 110# since September. I start my count from the time I wake to the time I sleep. I only sleep about 2-3 hours 5 days a week and this hasnt caused me any problems except being a total bleep.
    I eat about 600-800( may need a bit more for 12hr) calories during my shift broken into 150-200 calorie snacks. If I eat too much at once I get tired so This works well for me.
  • deup
    deup Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    cool thank you
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,156 Member
    Options
    I work 7P-7A 3 times a week. I eat a regular dinner before I go to work and bring my food. I keep My Fitness Pal's midnight to midnight time so I reset to zero partway through the shift. I changed the default diary settings to read midnight-6A, 6A-noon, noon-6P and 6P-midnight and log the food in the correct time slot. I mostly bring eggs, cheese, nuts, yogurt, things like that. 102 lbs later, this works for me.
  • 4homer
    4homer Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I work nights also. I just plan it like it's a normal day. For me I plan one meal during the middle of the shift and a snack later or coffee. Go home get some sleep and then have another 1 or 2 meals plus snacks. I just keep it simple and try to plan my food out for the next day
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I've actually found it easier on the night shift to lose weight, I think it's because I have more control over when I eat, and well, no access to fast food. I used to do my food diary differently, but since I have day classes during the week, I find it simplest to just log midnight to midnight.