breakfast ideas?

Hey guys. I'm trying to gain some weight, but not necessarily bulking up though. Without any exercise I'm supposed to be eating 3,400 calories just to maintain my weight. I find it hard to cram 4000+ calories into a day mostly because about 50-70% usually comes from dinner. I'm looking for any suggestions for a relatively fast, yet high calorie/carb breakfast, seeing as I need to wake up at 5-6 a.m. every morning and be ready to go within a half hour. I'm not really willing to wake up earlier as this cut in sleep is a cut in much needed recovery time. I'm a 17 year old, 6'2" tall, 145 lb., cross country runner and I run anywhere from 40-50 miles a week at an average of 6:42 pace (average including easy days, my hard 5-8 mi. days are usually between 6 & 6:15 pace). Eggs are obviously great, but I just don't have time to make them. There are quick fix oatmeals and cereals that can be great for carbs but not fat or protein, and they especially lack in calories. Maybe someone has some sort of combination they like between grains and something else? Any suggestions are welcome, thanks.

Replies

• kellycasey5
    kellycasey5 Posts: 486 Member
    Many moons ago I would make steel cut oats and toss in almond butter and fruit...yum. There are some versions of overnight oats that are like this with almond, cashew, or peanut butter that are easy to make and taste so so. This could be a quick option and you could add in protein powder in the morning. I have heard of some making oats with eggs, but that may take a bit more time than you have. It does look like a good protein carb mix and you could add any fruit, nuts, cinnamon, or whatever you like.

I also really loved toasted bagel or english muffin with peanut butter, banana, and honey. If you are in a hurry in the morning you could make a couple the night before and even use tortillas maybe the wheat ones or wraps instead of the bagel. Like place the tortilla, spread pb, slice the banana, drizzle the honey, and roll it up like a little taquito. Put a couple in a ziplock bag, toss them in the fridge, grab and go in the morning. Caution with the honey in that it can drip a bit when you eat it so remember to wrap a papertowel or just eat it by holding it in the bag. That will protect your outfit! Just my thoughts but 2 of those could easily have you at around 800 calories with a decent fat carb protein mix. I could eat one every day, and actually may start again.

I am on a yogurt berry almond kick at the moment, but that probably has not enough calories for you. However, you could also try to make parfaits with yogurt, berries or fruit, and layers of sliced nuts (I like the sliced almond bag at Costco). That may give you a decent 500 easy calories.

One of my other friends would make triple decker pb and j sandwiches and take them with her everywhere. She would make a whole stack at a time and probably ate 4 or so a day (at least that I saw).

As an egg note, you can look on google but if you like them it can be easy to microwave them in a cup-crack the eggs and add cheese, ham, veggies or whatever you like to up your calories. The more you add you may have to stir it halfway through. It cooks in around 2 minutes in the mug you used to make it in, so cleanup is a breeze. You could also try cooking up bacon and hardboiled eggs and having those in baggies (peel the eggs first) so they are grab and go. Then you could make some toast, grab 3 eggs and some bacon, and off you go. Add a string cheese because those are yummy.

Another thought would be to do what I did when I worked night shift: make quinoa in a rice cooker. Soak it and rinse it to avoid the bitter taste. It cooks quick, is super easy, cleanup is a breeze, and you can have little tupperware containers of that in the fridge. I liked to microwave those, stir in some almond butter, chopped apple and frozen blueberries, and some cinnamon on top. A nice change of pace from oats.

I am a big fan of grab and go, and like to have containers in the fridge packed for a few days at a time. I also cook larger batches of recipes and freeze individual portions (like a homemade frozen dinner). I also tend to eat the same things over and over and over again. It takes a bit of prep work, but lasts a few days and is convenient! Good luck :)
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    A fast high calorie breakfast would be a blender full of oats, peanut butter, bananas, whey protein, honey and full fat milk.