How many minutes per week do you work out?

Options
I am curious, how many minutes per week do you work out? How much of that is cardio vs. strength training? And is that effective for you as far as weight loss goes?

Replies

• ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I was doing an average of 300 minutes per week mainly cardio. I managed to lose around 10 lbs.in 2 months. Now I am doing around 240 minutes mainly weights because I hurt my knee kind of bad. I haven't actually gone to the scale, but hopefully I lost som additional weight. Once my knee gets better, I will try to alternate between cardio and weights.
  • augustsp
    augustsp Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi! I go running 3-4 times a week for 40 min and burn around 300 calories each time. I prefer this over strength to be honest but that's just my personal opinion (specially cause my body shape is already big). It also makes me feel free to choose the amount of food I can eat during the rest of the day, as long as I don't go over the 1200 cal.
    I have no idea how much weight I lost so far, I only got constant in jogging last week but I'll know tomorrow for sure. Either way, my belly fat got reduced and I'm making a good progress when it comes to body resistence, which makes me very proud!
    Are you on a strength/cardio or both training? If so, how is it going?
    xx
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I've lifted 4 days per week at an hour-hour and a half, with 60 minutes of cardio total. I've lifted 4 days without cardio. I'm doing 3 days of lifting now, about an hour each, with almost no cardio. Got results with all combinations because I logged and tried to meet my calorie goal.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    My Garmin watch tells me I run between 6 and 9 hours a week on average - so upwards of 500+ minutes a week on running alone.

I've got legs like trees and arms like toothpicks. It's great.

(just kidding)
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    A bit over 10 hours a week on average. I put more emphasis on strength training. The cardio that I do is generally incorporated into strength, plyometric and calisthenic stuff (e.g. box jumps, burpees, squat jumps etc). Or it's bursts of cardio within work outs - running or rowing sprints, skipping mostly. I very rarely do pure cardio. I do long easy walk/jog mixes for recovery once a week but that's usually it. I also do yoga for balance, enjoyment, flexibility etc. I find that my routine is very effective for general athleticism, fitness, maintaining lean muscle. I'm losing fat from eating at a deficit but my exercise allows me to eat more and it certainly impacts the way I look. I look leaner ('toned' ugh), my butt has a great curve etc.
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    I workout 60 minutes 6 days a week ....3 days cardio ....3 days strength training (alternating days)
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Recently I've been focusing more on weight training than cardio and I've noticed a big improvement.
  • Jobroni93
    Jobroni93 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hiit cardio for 15-20 mins for 3 days then 30-45 mins on weights after. I do weights 4-5 times a week.
  • dinosaurparty
    dinosaurparty Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I run 3 - 4 times a week, and alternate that with strength training, and a rest day each week. My workouts each last around 30 to 45mins, but I'm working my way up to longer jogs.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Over the last 7 days ... 447 minutes. About 7.5 hours.

And the 7 days before that ... 384 min. Nearly 6.5 hours. That wasn't a particularly good exercise week for me.

And the 7 days before that ... 463 min. About 7.75 hours.

It's been roughly around there for a while now ... but it is winter. Hoping for double that come summer.

• coco_bee
    coco_bee Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I try for 150mins a week, strength training once a week but I know should probably do more and yes I've lost weight but only because I havent gone over my calories. If I go above my calories for the whole week, no matter how much I exercise, I wont lose weight, I will only maintain it.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Last week I did 570 minutes. 180 of lifting and the rest cardio (including two two-hour hikes). I'm starting to change this up and do more lifting and less cardio.
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I aim for six sixty-minute days. I alternate HIIT with cardio and take Sundays off.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    7elizamae wrote: »
    I aim for six sixty-minute days. I alternate HIITcardio with cardio and take Sundays off.

Fixed that for you...

Anyway, as with several of those upthread I'm in the order of 6-10 hours per week, it depends where in my training cycle I am. If I'm in a cycling phase that could be 14-16.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    2x45 min alone (20 mins cardio plus weights / calisthenics)
    1x85mins with PT (15-30 mins cardio, weights and laughing)
    Other days hit 4-5 miles steps so probably a 40 min dog walk / walk to shops / both
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I'm in the midst of marathon training, and I spend about 7-8 hours a week running and cross-training. I do maybe 20-30 minutes of "strength" training a week which is just bodyweight exercises in my apartment. I lose weight slowly because I don't have much left to lose, but I did knock off about 4 lbs this month when my mileage ramped up and I was figuring out how to keep up calorically. But I get about .5 lbs every 1-2 weeks, which is fine with me at this point.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    2 lifting days with abs are 2 hours

3 cardio days on the bike for 4.7 hours

6.7 hours in the week total.

pqecfd3u6emw.jpg
  • _sambamm
    _sambamm Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    540 minutes a week. only heavy weight lifting. i combine powerlifting, olympic lifting and bodybuilding to make a well rounded program. weight lifting for females is the best possible thing you can do to build up your metabolism and cut fat down.
  • Fitwarrior7_Round_2
    Fitwarrior7_Round_2 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    45 minutes a day 5 days a week of cardio. Similar if not a little less for strength training. When I really watch my diet it's effective to lose weight.
  • Kimbot88
    Kimbot88 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    _sambamm wrote: »
    540 minutes a week. only heavy weight lifting. i combine powerlifting, olympic lifting and bodybuilding to make a well rounded program. weight lifting for females is the best possible thing you can do to build up your metabolism and cut fat down.

Do you follow a specific program? And do you mind if I request you as a friend so I can see what you do in more detail?