Please stop telling people that muscle weighs more than fat

Options
124»

Replies

• FitToBeFab
    FitToBeFab Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Semantics. There's no use to argue over them. The saying, "muscle weighs more than fat," is not literal, it's referring to density obviously. I don't think anyone is actually under the impression that a pound of muscle weighs more than a pound of fat.

Yup. I think that anyone with two brain cells to rub together understands that a pound of anything weighs a pound, but they understand the intended meaning of the phrase.

YES! Agreed. It's just a phrase, and it's easier to say "muscles weighs more than fat" than "the volume of fat it takes to equal five pounds of muscle is more..." And hello! The picture says it all. The small amount of muscle (i.e. five pounds) is less volume than the fat. So therefore it "weighs more." Meaning one cubic inch of muscle will weigh more than one cubic inch of fat.
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    can we please stop aarguing about this..you are ALL right. a pound of fat, a pound of muscle, and a pound of iron all weigh a pound. but a cubic foot of fat,muscle and iron will all weigh different. a pound of anything is a pound-in that sence EVERYTHING weighs the same. but a bucket of fat will weighless then a bucket of muscle
  • iguanaliz
    iguanaliz Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    "I certainly didn't mean it to be condescending."

I'm sorry! I didn't word that well at all! I didn't mean that you were being condescending. I meant that on first blush it read like one of those "people are stupid" posts until I actually read it :laugh: I think that the discussion that has ensued is fantastic. I've learned a few things, and that's really the purpose. Right? So again, my apologies.
  • fitnessdoctor
    Options
    Muscle absolutely weighs more than fat. Where you are going wrong is you are trying to compare a weight to an exact weight. This is incorrect. You must compare a volume to a weight. So what you should have done is to theoretically take for example one liter of muscle and compare the mass to the mass of one liter of fat. By doing this you get an accurate potrayal of what the ratio of muscle is to fat.