Options
    9/1/15 complete. 2.81 miles
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Zekela wrote: »
    Hi!!! I'm in for 300 miles :smile:

@zekela that number just plain scares me. :smile:
    @jorocka the struggle was real this morning wasn't it. @whatmerunning "made" yourself sleep in. Nice!
    @cancersurvivor2014 woohoo for running to the gym, ouch for running home on leg day. I bet your legs will be feeling better because of it.
    @5beautifuldays I must have missed it, what did you do to your hip?
    @shanaber were you able to get out?

• BanksySJ11
    BanksySJ11 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Quick 3 miles tonight to start me off :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

@zekela that number just plain scares me. :smile:
    @jorocka the struggle was real this morning wasn't it. @whatmerunning "made" yourself sleep in. Nice!
    @cancersurvivor2014 woohoo for running to the gym, ouch for running home on leg day. I bet your legs will be feeling better because of it.
    @5beautifuldays I must have missed it, what did you do to your hip?
    @shanaber were you able to get out?

LOL 300 scares me to. Actually my number scares me LMAO- big 3 digits!!! WHO AM I AND WHY ARE WE RUNNING SO MUCH! LOL
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

Are you crazy or a pro runner? Oh wait, both right?

Omg! Blazin' up the miles! Look forward to updates!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options

@Zekela Yaaaayyyy, you made it!

• Stoshew71
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Just checking in because I like to keep up with you all...today was a victory of sorts because I didn't run.

I really, really wanted to, but I didn't. Because I need to fix this dumb hip problem. So today I did strength training and "ran" on the elliptical. I did some good stretching, too. Tomorrow, I can run--aiming for a 10k.

I'm hoping I can keep my mileage at the same level, but I'm not sure if that's advisable? I was running 5-6 days, mostly 3-4 miles with a 7.5 miler once per week. If I only run 3-4 days a week, what would be a good way to distribute my 20-25 miles? I'm not sure I'm ready to run farther than 7.5 (honestly I normally walk the last quarter to a half mile of that, anyway).

First off, with a 20-25 mile week, 7.5 is close to the maximum for your long run anyway.
    Let's say you are running 25 this week. 25% of 25 miles is 6.25 miles and 33% of 25 miles is 8.25 miles. So in a 25 mile week, your long run is limited to 6.25-8.25 miles.

Assuming a 25 mile run week. Also assume you do a 7.5 mile LR. leaves you with 17.5 miles on the rest of your weekly runs divided into 3 more runs. The average of that is ~5.83 miles. Or 3x 6 milers (aprox). If you don't feel like doing a 6 miler in one shot, you can run 3 in the morning and 3 at night. If that seems a bit much (and it may since you have the hip problem), you can dial it down to a 20 mile week.

Assume the same 7.5 mile LR. This leaves you with 12.5 miles for the rest of the week in 3 runs.

That is 3 4 milers (well one of them is a 4.5 miler). Or you can do 1 6 miler at the beginning of the week. Then all you have is a 3 miler and a 3.5 miler.

Hope this helps. Be careful tho, if you have a hip injury, you may have to dial the mileage down a bit more.

Edited: I forgot to calculate the LR percentages based upon a 20 mile week. 25% of 20 miles is 5 miles while 33% of 20 miles is 6.67 (or 6-2/3) miles. So 7.5 miles is actually a little over 37%. A bit high but doable for a long run on a 20 mile week. You be ok to do this a few times. But with an already hip injury I would suggest to dial the long run down if you go with a 20 mile week.
  • hayleymawr
    hayleymawr Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm new, just started and on week 2 of c25k- I'm loving it though so will join and commit to 40miles, which is about 35 miles more than last month so, to me, it's a big challenge. 1 down today.

Good luck all- loads of inspiration here
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options

Yowser!
  • velezdina
    velezdina Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm in for 80 miles in September, excited about this challenge!
  • terihalsey62
    terihalsey62 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Newly here not even sure how much to go for does 25 or 35 sound ok. Brand new to running

@terihalsey62 if you are new to running (not sure how new) you might want to try a program like C25K to build up mileage. It's hard to say to someone what is a good goal for them, all depends on where you are in your running and how much you like to run. I try to run 6 days a week (sometimes I only get in 5) I vary my distance and I'm training for a half marathon. Right now my goal is 120 miles, others are dang deer and run 200+ miles a month, other are new or just run to add cardio and may run 20 miles a month. Just be safe and injury free. Oh yeah and Welcome!

I am brand new meaning I really have never run much in my life. I have been looking at the C25K and started yesterday. It went pretty well not really even sore. I have been walking anywhere from 1-5 miles at a pretty good pace so I think maybe that is why.

Thanks for the welcome And the advice.

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    9/1: Rest -- No XT even today because I'm leaving to go see Eddie Izzard perform ~45 minutes after getting home from work. Eddie Izzard > gettin' sweaty, y'all!

0/200

exercise.png
  • Dichotomy1976
    Dichotomy1976 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    1/9: 7 miles

exercise.png

• Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Cleared by my doctor to resume running today as they finally closed up my open wound as it healed nicely over the weekend. Figure I'll go for 150 miles this month as I'm spending about 16 days up north this month and can get in a few extra miles there. Going to try for 5 speedwork sessions again as well.

Went out for 5 miles today and I'm feeling much better. In fact, I felt good enough to sign up for the Pittsburgh marathon as my 2016 Spring Marathon, as registration opened today. I'll choose a less hilly marathon for Spring 2017 as I suspect a BQ will finally be feasible that year once I move up an age category, but will need to play it by ear based on my performance at my next few races.

9/1 - 5 easy miles

Total: 5 miles
    Goal: 150 miles, 5 speedwork sessions
    Remaining: 145 miles, 5 speedwork sessions
  • Stoshew71
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Ohhim wrote: »
    Cleared by my doctor to resume running today as they finally closed up my open wound as it healed nicely over the weekend. Figure I'll go for 150 miles this month as I'm spending about 16 days up north this month and can get in a few extra miles there. Going to try for 5 speedwork sessions again as well.

Went out for 5 miles today and I'm feeling much better. In fact, I felt good enough to sign up for the Pittsburgh marathon as my 2016 Spring Marathon, as registration opened today. I'll choose a less hilly marathon for Spring 2017 as I suspect a BQ will finally be feasible that year once I move up an age category, but will need to play it by ear based on my performance at my next few races.

9/1 - 5 easy miles

Total: 5 miles
    Goal: 150 miles, 5 speedwork sessions
    Remaining: 145 miles, 5 speedwork sessions

I too am counting on a BQ after I move up in an AG category. lol I turn 44 this December.
    The 3:15 I would need this year is way too far than the 3:25 I need next year.

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @9voice9 - Supposedly you can get an increase in blood plasma volume resulting in higher VO2max. http://www.runnersworld.com/sweat-science/heat-stress-plasma-volume-and-the-benefits-of-dehydration

@CancerSurvivor2014 - Ouch! You earned some major "badass" points for that one!

@kristinegift - Sounds like you have your priorities straight to me.:smile:

@Ohhim - Hope you and @Stoshew hit your new AG BQ times! I think I may be ready to BQ by 80, maybe 90.

I waited until the hottest part of the day so I could suffer the greatest! It showed. I did a 6 mile Steady run, but my overall pace was my normal Easy pace. I feel really good though, probably still just the post-run high. Hoping I am good for an easy run tomorrow for the added miles.

9/1 - 6 mile steady run (6 total)

Goal 166 miles

exercise.png

• annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    9/1—Rest
    9/2–-5.3 km
  • aprilcanrun
    aprilcanrun Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    First month I have set a target for myself. I'm going for 80 miles!

Ran just over a mile to Zumba tonight, but it's a start :)

exercise.png[\img]
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - responding to your comment in the August thread:
    @shanaber @whatmerunning @briebee7 and others - I agree on the rudeness of people too. I don't expect people to stop and chat with me but a nod of the head or a smile isn't asking much. Common manners is all that is. I usually can't be bothered with people that like I just go on my way and not think about it again, but geez you don't know me at all. First of all I'm not naturally "skinny" I worked hard for a year to lose 60 lbs, I played sports in high school but wasn't a great athlete so for me at 50 something to take up running and work on getting healthy (not just thin, but HEALTHY) is a big deal. People should never assume anything about others.
    Precisely - No one knows what challenges another person has or is facing or where they are in their training or if they are even training or just getting out and getting it done.

@5BeautifulDays - do you do any strengthening exercises for your hips? There are lots of them on RunnersWorld and I have found they really help me.
    @CancerSurvivor2014 - I learned the hard way that the evening and day after 'leg' day needs to be a rest day for me! Like @WhatMeRunning said - 'you earned some major "badass" points for that one!'
    JoRocka wrote: »
    LOL 300 scares me to. Actually my number scares me LMAO- big 3 digits!!! WHO AM I AND WHY ARE WE RUNNING SO MUCH! LOL
    @JoRocka - I ask myself this at least once a day :)
    @Zekela - I second what everyone else has said - WOW 300 miles!!
    @kristinegift - Have fun at the Eddie Izzard concert!
    @ohhim - that is great news that you have been cleared to run again! Good luck on the BQ time!

@skippygirlsmom - I did get my run in, walked away from my computer and all the emails, no more meetings in sight until the afternoon!
    So I got in a great run - I was up early, early for another (5:30am - say what??) meeting so I went out for 4, decided to do 5 and ended up doing 7. It is cooler, I had time and now I am exhausted. Have strength training still to get to this evening though.

Date.......Miles......Total
    09/01.....7.21.......7.21 + Strength Training

I will create my ticker later!
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Okay, let's do this!! I'm in for another 100 miles.
    Date      Miles      MTD
    ------    -----    -----
    Sep 01      5.2      5.2

exercise.png