Oatmeal

Options
Hey guys! How do you usually eat your oatmeal? With plain milk? I tried add a spoon of peanut butter and it was delicious! Tell me what do you guys eat oatmeal with?:)

Replies

• alybunny
    alybunny Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Adding*
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon and 30 grams of dark brown sugar.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I like steel cut oats and usually make it with cinnamon and Stevia and add blueberries or dark sweet cherries or sometimes peaches. Using quick cook steel cut and frozen fruit makes it a super easy pre-workout breakfast.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Refrigerator oatmeal soaked in regular yogurt and with the fruit on hand and nuts. This week the fruits are rhubarb jam (from my sister's garden) and apple sauce. The nuts are sunflower and pumpkin seeds.

Steel cut oats cooked in water with currants. I eat with a dollop of Greek yogurt.
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon ans sweet and loq or PB
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I make mine with water and add Pb2 to it for extra protein.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I sometimes have oatmeal as an alternative to my usual omelet. I mostly like steel cut--texture thing. It takes longer, but I pop it in the rice cooker when I get up and then go work out and have it when I return. I like it made with water, with berries or bananas and also protein powder (vanilla). I used to add a bit of milk but I never have milk around and it tastes as good to me without.

(The protein powder tastes good but I think it tastes just fine with just berries. I simply prefer a bit more protein with my breakfast.)
  • misterdale67
    misterdale67 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Eileen_S wrote: »
    I make mine with water and add Pb2 to it for extra protein.

Same here. Really good it is.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Nutella, PB, apple butter, banana, sugar free maple syrup, artificial sweetener + cinnamon or pie spice, raisins. Or some combination of any of these add-ins.

The like my oatmeal to taste like a cookie and/or smell like Christmas. I don't go nuts with these add-ins though, but a little usually goes a long way to achieving the flavor and aroma I want without too much of a calorie expense.

I don't add milk except maybe during cooking at a simmer when the oatmeal still needs more time to cook and absorb liquid; I don't like soupy, slurpy over-wet oatmeal, I like my oatmeal creamy and thick consistency. My husband likes adding milk after and likes it wet and soupy with only honey as an add-in.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Sugar free maple syrup sounds like a travesty. It's sugar free syrup (thickened with corn starch?) with maple flavouring. Ewwwwwwww.

typique-large-02-jamais-trop-de-sirop.jpg

But then again this marketing scheme is genius, "maple water". Ha! Don't they mean "maple sap"? Doesn't sound as sexy as a fancy water, does it?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Cooked with half and half water and whole milk, and served with butter.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Sugar free maple syrup sounds like a travesty. It's sugar free syrup (thickened with corn starch?) with maple flavouring. Ewwwwwwww.

But then again this marketing scheme is genius, "maple water". Ha! Don't they mean "maple sap"? Doesn't sound as sexy as a fancy water, does it?

I like it. I like real maple too, but I don't like it so much to justify the difference in calories. 1/4 cup of SF is 15 calories, vs. 200 for real maple. I wouldn't use 1/4 cup of either though, that's too much syrup.

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Almond milk, pinch of salt, fresh strawberries, blueberries, walnuts, banana and chia seeds every day post run, yum
  • jgnatca
    Options
    @Lourdesong I am teasing a bit. You are loving your oatmeal which is always good, and choosing where you are getting your calories, which is good.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Bowl of hot oatmeal, scoop of protein, half cup of frozen fruit (which cools the oatmeal down), OR
    Protein shake with dry oats added.

I usually have one or the other for breakfast.
  • Mindfullyjo
    Mindfullyjo Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have rolled oats these days as easier to digest (30g) and add a few chopped nuts, sunflower and pumkin seeds, a spoon of golden linseed (omega 3 & 6), and real grade 3 maple syrup which is impossible to get in UK normally, so have it delivered specially when friends come to visit from Canada! I prefer a dollop of organic live yoghurt and some water to milk, then add whatever fruit is in season. Love it!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    My oatmeal combinations have been:
    Hot w/water
    Oatmeal + sweetener + Blueberries
    Oatmeal + sweetener + Cinnamon + Apples
    Oatmeal + sweetener + Apples + Banana + Cinnamon
    Oatmeal + Banana + Peanut Butter
    Oatmeal + sweetener + Apple + Strawberry
    Oatmeal + sweetener + Blueberry + Strawberry

Overnight
    Oatmeal + Vanilla Protein Powder + Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk + Cinnamon + Apples
    Oatmeal + Chocolate Protein Powder + Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk + Banana
    Oatmeal + Chocolate Protein Powder + Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk + Strawberry
    Oatmeal + Vanilla Protein Powder + Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk + Banana + Strawberry
    With the Overnight Oats, I'll add in some Nature Valley Granola in the morning (so it stays crunchy) if I have it on hand
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    it depends...

my favorite is to cook them in chicken stock...add about 1 tsp soy sauce and 1/2 tsp fish sauce and top with poached egg, sauteed mushrooms with ginger and jalapeno and garnish with green onions, mung bean sprouts, and cilantro and then a little squeeze of lime.
  • GaijinAdrian
    GaijinAdrian Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I make mine with water only. My favorite food in the world and I would eat it all day if I could.
  • lisa0brit0
    lisa0brit0 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    peanut butter and maple syrup. yum