How to say "NO" to fattening food as a Mexican mom. HELP!

Options
So... I'm Mexican. I'm not the kind of Mexican who loves soccer and stuff. No. I'm the kind of Mexican who loves to cook all food in lard. Being healthy is tough and, in my opinion, not as tasty. Yeah, I need help. I'm 33, a mom to three, a wife, and live close to the rest of my family who is equally fanatic about unhealthy food. You see my dilemma? I sure could use some motivation as I have more than 100 pounds to lose.

Is it too late to have one last taco de carnitas?

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I am a grandmama and I am betting you only want the best for your family. That they be healthy and live long. I love to cook and I find new joy in modifying family recipes to be lower in calorie and full of flavourful things.

I can promise you as well that your children want you to make the healthy changes needed so that you can be around to play with your children's children. Both my children, now in their thirties, are distressed when I contemplate the day I will no longer be with them. I would like my old age to be full of vitality and good health.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    My friend is Italian American. They live to cook- pasta pasta breads breads. I went to her house once and her mom had prepared a little dinner for us - it was 3 courses of horribly fattening food. Her mom came out to say "hi" and she was a very petite woman. Not overweight at all. Her family was, but she wasn't. So, you can cook and feed your family all the great Mexican food you want. But, have your food scale out and record your own calories. Eat the appropriate portion sizes and if your family is motivated to join you in this journey, you'll be setting a great example!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I'm Scottish by blood and adopted by Germans. When my family cooks butter and lard are primary ingredients. I just eat the same food in moderation and stick to my caloric intake.

Just make small changes that you can stick to over time. Don't try anything drastic or you probably won't stick with it too long.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Have your taco. Just have one or two and a big salad or veggies on the side.
  • flrancho
    flrancho Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of the same foods I used to - I try to make them healthier, grilling or baking instead of trying, using low fat ingredients, whole grain instead of white, etc.

If you don't like how things like that taste, you can still eat what you always eat on occasion, just smaller portions.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Try lightening up one recipe at a time.

I do a danged good chicken mole with skinned chicken breasts, and a stacked enchilada casserole with tons of squash, onions, and spinach, Mission light corn tortillas, and a homemade enchilada sauce with no added fat. I use half and half real white cheese (shredded) with crumbled tofu for the cheese layers. The tofu cuts the fat and ups the protein--while the remaining real cheese helps keep the mouth feel and gooeyness I want.