Calf sprain - OUCH! - What Cardio can I still do?

Options
Ouch! I started out with a "knot" in my left calf, but pushed through the pain. It lessened with stretching so I just kept going, hoping it would work itself out. The yesterday during a boot-camp class during a jump I felt something snap in the center back portion of my calf. I'm resting, icing, compressing, and elevating right now. Its not a serious tear, just a ((very painful)) sprain, but I've been advised to not to walk, run, walk uphill, or jump for at least 2 weeks and maybe longer until I am pain free.

This can't be happening right now! I am on track and doing so good on my weight loss...about an average of 2 lbs per week. I don't want to stop working out so I need your help! What cardio exercises can I still do to get my heart rate up and burn fat, without engaging my calf muscles? I can't stop now, because in the past when I've stopped it has taken me months or years to get started again.

Anybody else experienced this injury? How did you maintain your fitness and keep your positive momentum while the calf healed?

Replies

• JennafurC
    JennafurC Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Ouch yes, I have. Wrap it up (I used an ace bandage instead of buying $$ compression socks/sleeves). Upper body cardio--think the punching parts of kickboxing. I was also able to do elliptical since it didn't put pressure on my calf and some stationary bike. Be careful. Mine healed with rest, ice, compression in about 2 weeks. It happened for me half way through training for a half marathon and it was like the wind got taken from my sails, but I was able to continue my training after it healed and finished. Good luck
  • Bethie_J
    Bethie_J Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Swimming or shadow boxing.
  • goldiejoe
    goldiejoe Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    (I used an ace bandage instead of buying $$ compression socks/sleeves).

Thanks, I found a tube-sock- like knee brace at the Dollar Tree for $1.00. I've slipped it up and over my calf. Also slept with a bag of frozen corn wrapped to my calf with an ace bandage. LOL. The cat thinks I'm crazy!
    Mine healed with rest, ice, compression in about 2 weeks.

Thanks, that is encouraging and just what I needed to hear :)
    It happened for me half way through training for a half marathon and it was like the wind got taken from my sails, but I was able to continue my training after it healed and finished. Good luck

You are awesome, it does my heart good to know that you got through it and finished your half marathon! Kudos!
  • goldiejoe
    goldiejoe Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Took Friday off from the gym, but I need to work out on Saturday. Any suggestions for cardio exercises I can do which will not involve my calfs?