How to add calories from cooking with oil

Options
Say I cook something in oil in a frying pan and use a TBS of oil, how would I go about adding those calories? Most of it stays in the pan and the rest gets drained on a paper towel so adding a whole TBS to my food diary seems a little OTT.

Replies

• holybell
    holybell Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have been wondering this myself, too.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    It's quite hard to calculate because you can't be sure whether there are extra fluids from the food you're frying in the pan... I've never really bothered calculating the amount of oil.

Guesstimation?
  • SteveMFP123
    SteveMFP123 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I was thinking of maybe adding half of the total amount? But I don't know.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Well, I guess you could weigh the paper towel, tare the scale, sop up the extra oil out of your food, sop up the extra oil in the frying pan, weigh the towel again and deduct that. Or maybe that is a little OTT.

I'd include the tbsp of oil in the recipe and own it.

• JeffBrown3
    JeffBrown3 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I always add half the oil (1/2 tbsp) to my tracker.. If its off, it can't be far off.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    What do you cook in a tablespoon of oil that doesn't soak it all up? Honestly wondering because things like stir fry would use it all. I'm not a great cook so curious.
  • holybell
    holybell Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    It's quite hard to calculate because you can't be sure whether there are extra fluids from the food you're frying in the pan... I've never really bothered calculating the amount of oil.

Guesstimation?

That's what I've been doing. I add 1 tsp to 1 tbsp depending on how I was cooking with the oil in my diary. Shallow fry vs Deep fry for instance.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I account for every drop of oil. If I use a TBS then I claim the entire amount of calories which is usually 120 calories. That is a lot of calories not to account for. I would rather be safe than sorry.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    usually when I saute something or do a stir fry, there really isn't any oil left in the pan...if you have oil left in the pan I'd say use less oil
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    its all a guessing game.

i measure my oil into the pan (or whatever im making). divide it by the number of servings (so for my family- 5) and there you go. yes, theres oil leftover. no, im not going to go all ocd and try to figure out the exact amount i used in my portion.

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I add the entire TBS -or use less oil.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Just add it, and if you don't actually ingest it all then it's insurance against that extra half an ounce of chicken or bite of your partner's food or heavy-handed line cook's restaurant meal. You know?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I count it all. I just tend to be careful to use less now.
  • SteveMFP123
    SteveMFP123 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I think I'll drop to 0.5TBS and add it all.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I use as little as possible and log all of it. I don't cook with oil too much right now and at most I'm using 1tsp these days. Little bit can go a really long way.

~Lyssa