Soy- what do you think?

Options
2»

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I have heard from my bodybuilding friends that soy promotes estrogen in men (ie man boobs, fat on the outer arm, under the buttocks) so I try to stay clear of it. Is it hooey? I don't know, but soy has never been a big part of my diet so it wasn't an issue to cut most of it out.
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I have heard from my bodybuilding friends that soy promotes estrogen in men (ie man boobs, fat on the outer arm, under the buttocks) so I try to stay clear of it. Is it hooey? I don't know, but soy has never been a big part of my diet so it wasn't an issue to cut most of it out.

Soy does act as estrogen when digested, and during fat loss, fat cells release even more estrogen. Add that if you're a woman, it throws your body completely out of whack. I went through months of pain, suffering, and hemorrhaging while I was doing Medifast (almost 100% soy products). It was so bad I became anemic and passed out from blood loss. Steer clear if you can. It's a cheap alternative, not a healthy alternative.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Soy gets such a bad rap there is phytoestrogens in beer the hops, flax seed, chickpeas, multigrain bread, olive oil, and even almonds. It's not quite clear if the phytoestrogens bioavailable to be utilized by our bodies. We are more at risk due to our high meat consumption for breast cancer then soy.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The reading I did suggested that the Asian consumption of soy contains a lot fewer phytoestrogens. The Asian consumption of milk contains a lot less estrogen, as the cattle are milked seasonally, only five months a year.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I've eaten soy all my life and never had a problem with it. Not when I was menstrating, not during perimenopause and not now that I'm in menopause. It is a fairly common allergen, though, so I don't doubt that many people have problems with it.

My husband has also eaten it for years and no moobs yet.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it would be nice if a little something could help me through menopause. I take Black Cohosh but I suspect it's influence is largely psychosomatic.

My stepmom died young from breast cancer, so there's a family aversion to estrogen supplementation. I'm stuck dealing with this the old fashioned way.