I gained a pound this week, starvation mode?

Options
Please can you look at my food diary and help me understand where I am going wrong?

Replies

• 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    You don't have an open diary. Don't buy into the starvation myth.
  • bigsicklittlesick
    bigsicklittlesick Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    There could be a number of things that made the scale say you gained a pound this week. It's probably water. True fat loss takes time and patience. Stick with it. Eat your calories. You are not in starvation mode. :)
  • Clare291174
    Clare291174 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Sorry, made diary public now. I don't believe in starvation mode but I exercise hard every day and average about 1000 calories.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Probably water weight. You're not going to gain a pound because you're starving.
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like you want permission to increase your cal intake. You don't need permission you need to try it for a month and see what results you get.
  • Kr1ptonite
    Kr1ptonite Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Weigh yourself tomorrow morning before you eat and see what you come up with. Could be a number of things away from food.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Sorry, made diary public now. I don't believe in starvation mode but I exercise hard every day and average about 1000 calories.
    If you don't believe in it (good for you :happy: ) I would advise you not to put it in your title. It invites incessant debate. Anyway, the other thing I would ask is how often you weigh and what you are basing your assumption you gained on. Many of us weigh often and see some pretty dramatic swings and they don't always occur when you might expect.
  • jamiesillimandunn
    jamiesillimandunn Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I agree with some posters here, my weight fluctuates almost 3-4 pounds in a day , I now weigh in once a week if that ...but I'm just starting out but it seems to me your calorie intake is EXTREMEMLY Low not even at 1000 , from what I understand is an average person even sedentary need 1200 calories in a day ....but I'm no expert ...so I'llsee what others say

My bottom line get those calories up to 1200-1500 a day , and weigh in a week
  • melw2910
    melw2910 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    You really need to be eating more, looking at your diary you are averaging an intake of 1000 cals per day and then burning cals exercising. Work out your BMR and start eating that as a minimum.
  • tjthegreatone
    Options
    Please can you look at my food diary and help me understand where I am going wrong?

Can this starvation mode thing please die a quick and (hopefully) painful death???!!!! Aaaarrrggghhh.

The scale is notoriously unreliable, and anyway loss is not linear. It is common to have weeks with a 'stall' and then weeks of rapid weight loss (according to the scale). The main thing is that there should be a downward trend. One week is not enough to make any kind of judgement about your calories, fitness etc. It could be water weight, bloating, constipation, God knows what else.

What I will say is that if you are eating 1000 calories a day you are setting yourself up for failure as it is not sustainable; and you will either crack and start bingeing when your body and mind are fed up of it - or worse still when you reach your goal you will have lost so much lean body mass that when you start eating what should be a decent maintenance amount, the weight will pile on again.
  • Clare291174
    Options
    I weigh once a week, first thing in morning before I eat or drink. I have dieted numerous times over the years after having children etc and I always lose slowly, max 1lb a week. I dont have much to lose so that's harder too. i am patient and know it takes time. It's just this time I have really increased the intensity of my exercise, have always done quite a lot but am really pushing the intensity. It feels counterintuitive to eat more than I feel I need and undo my exercise but I don't want another week of trying hard to result in such a demoralising result on scales. I am hungry sometimes so if eating more would help I'd like to know. Thanks for replies.
  • healthytanya1
    healthytanya1 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I did 1200 calories for 2 1/2 months and lost over 20 lbs. I burn at least 2400 so 1200 was very low for me. My weight loss stalled out so I went up to 1600 for over a week now and I've lost 2 lbs already. At this point I've lost a total of 33 lbs so i'll be happy with 1 lb a week from now on. I'm 8 lbs away from healthy bmi so I know it will be slower now.
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week, first thing in morning before I eat or drink. I have dieted numerous times over the years after having children etc and I always lose slowly, max 1lb a week. I dont have much to lose so that's harder too. i am patient and know it takes time. It's just this time I have really increased the intensity of my exercise, have always done quite a lot but am really pushing the intensity. It feels counterintuitive to eat more than I feel I need and undo my exercise but I don't want another week of trying hard to result in such a demoralising result on scales. I am hungry sometimes so if eating more would help I'd like to know. Thanks for replies.

OP, gimme some stats... even for a very short woman, 1000 calories is most likely not enough. Prolonged undereating (months if not years) can cause your metabolism to slow down.

Fill this out and we can all provide better guidance:

Wt:
    Goal Wt:
    Activity level at job (deskjob, on your feet like a nurse would be, manual labor, etc.):
    What are your workouts? (primarily long cardio sessions, HIIT training, LISS, weightlifting, DVDs, bootcamp, etc.):
    How accurately are you logging? (food scale, measuring cups, eye balling, quick cals):
    How consistently are you logging? (daily no matter what you eat, only on days you aren't overeating, once a week):
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Having only ten pounds to lose you should aim to lose no more than .5 lb per week. You should also eat back some of your exercise calories if you are eating at such a low amoun to begin with. Good luck
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    images.jpeg

Its 1 lb. Workout, weigh yourself and then youll be down 3 more. Tada!
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    you can fluctuate by a good 2lb and possibly up to 3lb in water weight and poop. go poop. problem solved.

give it time, and possibly eat back more of your exercise calories for your health.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Unless you are a small child or a midget, eat at least 1200. Ok?
  • Clare291174
    Options
    I'm 5ft 8", narrow build, start weight 136lbs, now 133lbs, goal 126lbs. I track food every day and weigh the food where necessary. Workouts are one HIIT session w personal trainer where I am dripping with sweat, 1 body pump, 1 step, 1spin then 2 runs and another gym session. I exercise 6-7 days a week. Prior to dieting 3 weeks ago I exercised 4 times a week and some sessions not that intense so I have really upped the ante now. I want to tone up, I have major muffin top at moment.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    1 pound? My weight fluctuates between 4 pounds or more on a daily basis, depending on time of day that I weigh, what I'm wearing, if I've used the toilet, etc.

Stop obsessing over the scale and eat more! 1000 calories is not sustainable. It will ruin your metabolism and you WILL eventually start to see real gains.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    5'8" ? 1,000 calories is not enough to operate your brain.