For the hunters

Options
strangesoul79
strangesoul79 Posts: 84 Member
jo549ryffqgj.jpg I decided to try doing some squirrel smoked tonite. I soaked them overnight in bbq sauce thinned with beer. I put them on the smoker for an hour at about 300 degrees, then wrapped them in foil with a bit of butter and onion for another hour. I then brought them in side where they went in a pan with water thinned bbq sauce for another hour or so in the oven at 250. Came out tender with that perfect smoked flavor.

Replies

• pearso21123
    pearso21123 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Mmmm... Looks so good. I've only had squirrel once and it wasn't very good, but I suspect the person who cooked it didn't know what they were doing. My husband makes the best rabbit.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    I had no idea you could eat squirrel. I learned something new today.
  • strangesoul79
    strangesoul79 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Just about any wild meat has to be done right. Not sure how you really mess squirrel up. Main way people cook it is frying the legs up like chicken. It can be really tough though at times. Young squirrel is the best really for frying. Older ones are great thrown in a crock pot with bbq sauce and slow cooked for 7-8 hours. Pick the bones out and bbq squirrel sandwiches are made.

Just about anything can be ate. There are somethings I have no desire to but squirrel is tasty. And I love some rabbit
  • lisag1288
    lisag1288 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hello all. Im wondering if anyone has a good recipe for deer that keeps it low in calories?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Wow - it does look tasty but I don't know that I could eat a rodent. I have a pretty weak stomach :(