Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

I'm cutting but don't want to loose muscle and strength

I'm currently cutting to decrease body fat to 10%. My current weight 162 at 5 foot 9. I'm eating 1600 to 1700 calories a day 170g in carbs and about 140 grams protein. I lift weights 4 times a week focusing on different muscle groups w/ 15 min light cardio. I'm getting weaker since cutting. I do 30 minutes cardio on non lifting days. The MFP app suggested 1600 calories to reach my goal. Should I be eating more to prevent loss of muscle and strength? Really don't know what to do just to focus on loosing fat. Please help!

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Is that for a 2 pound per week loss? Seems aggressive.
  • chodybaby
    chodybaby Posts: 53 Member
    Comes out to almost 7 pounds in 5 weeks when I log my diary on average. I've read to do 1 pound a week and that's the goal, but I don't know how many calories I burning lifting weights. Any suggestions?
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    So I'm also 5'9" but 150 pounds and I'm eating 1800 a day and still losing. I did try and lose 1 pound a week from .5 pounds a week and I noticed a HUGE difference in my strength and endurance from that 250 calorie a day difference.
  • chodybaby
    Okay, I will up it. Thanks for taking the time for the info. 150 is my goal weight
  • dmillz89
    dmillz89 Posts: 10 Member
    1600 is a little low but not that much. I'm 5'8 175lbs and cutting at ~1850 (I go under by 100 calories or so frequently).

You aren't actually losing muscle, but when you cut the amount of glycogen you have in your muscles (VERY simply, energy) is a lot lower.

You will probably find that reducing your workout volume (reps) but increasing the intensity (weight) will help you feel a lot less drained in the gym.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited September 2015
    dmillz89 wrote: »
    1600 is a little low but not that much. I'm 5'8 175lbs and cutting at ~1850 (I go under by 100 calories or so frequently).

You aren't actually losing muscle, but when you cut the amount of glycogen you have in your muscles (VERY simply, energy) is a lot lower.

You will probably find that reducing your workout volume (reps) but increasing the intensity (weight) will help you feel a lot less drained in the gym.

This. It may be different for everyone (probably not) but I cut volume and frequency MASSIVELY when I cut. I keep the intensity at near-max however. I have been able to maintain my lifts (and even slightly improve lower body lifts) while losing 40lbs doing this. Even while losing 2.5lbs/week (which is around 1% of my body weight).

Getting some sort of carbs (daily or with re-feeds) is important too. Carbs are energy, period.

Before I would always lose strength while cutting. Some major names like Layne Norton and Lyle Mcdonald advocate high intensity/low frequency and volume while cutting too (which is where I got the idea).
  • chodybaby
    Thanks for you input, appreciate it.