PCOS (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome) and weight lose

Options

Replies

• AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options

Sorry if this is ignorant, but I feel like this is a very helpful discussion. Does being diagnosed with PCOS automatically make me insulin resistant? I know it makes me more likely to be, but I thought that the fasting glucose test would be what tested for that.

No it does not but 80% of women who have PCOS are insulin resistant, so your chances of being insulin resistant is high. Normally your doctor will want to do two separate test to confirm if you are prediabetic. They do a fasting glucose test and A1C. A1C measures your average glucose for the past 3 months which is how most people are diagnosed as being prediabetic. Did you do that test?

Yes, I'm in the normal range for both and test yearly since being diagnosed with PCOS.

Metformin is a drug for diabetics and people at the high end of prediabetes which lead me to believe that you're insulin resistance. It's a drug that makes your insulin work like a normal person. Maybe it has other uses that I don't know about? Maybe you have been on the drug for a while before the A1C test?

• saratf
    saratf Posts: 49 Member
    Options

Sorry if this is ignorant, but I feel like this is a very helpful discussion. Does being diagnosed with PCOS automatically make me insulin resistant? I know it makes me more likely to be, but I thought that the fasting glucose test would be what tested for that.

No it does not but 80% of women who have PCOS are insulin resistant, so your chances of being insulin resistant is high. Normally your doctor will want to do two separate test to confirm if you are prediabetic. They do a fasting glucose test and A1C. A1C measures your average glucose for the past 3 months which is how most people are diagnosed as being prediabetic. Did you do that test?

Yes, I'm in the normal range for both and test yearly since being diagnosed with PCOS.

Metformin is a drug for diabetics and people at the high end of prediabetes which lead me to believe that you're insulin resistance. It's a drug that makes your insulin work like a normal person. Maybe it has other uses that I don't know about? Maybe you have been on the drug for a while before the A1C test?

Edit: Yes, I took it for other reasons.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Ahh I see. Congratulations on your newborn.
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    You will have to work harder
    You will have to ignore alot of peoples opinions
    You will have to listen to your own body.

I tried glycemic index, it worked for me but i felt like rubbish constantly my body doesnt particularly like beans/flour etc
    I'm doing low carb now and couldnt feel better (70 and under even on training days)

I ate everything in moderation for a year, and dispite staying at the same calorie level as low carb and gly index, I gained 1 stone. (i never looked at a scale, but have got rid of half of it so far in 3 months)

Got recently put onto Metformin SR, it agrees with me better than the normal Metformin, you should see about that. Even though I was only 28 on the BMI i got put down as prediabetic because i was eating 'normal' carbs of 150+ spaced throughout the day. (have higher than averages lean body mass, so my goal is 23-24 BMI to be my lowest)
  • naturalbeautyisme55
    Options
    This post have been absolutely informative. My first step is to go to the doctor and make sure that PCOS is what I have. I know in the past I had many cyst on ovaries. I'm loving the responses on this post. Keep them coming because I am taking it all in.
  • AMDLove
    AMDLove Posts: 12
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS maybe 7 years ago. When I went to college, I blew up and gained about 80 lbs! I have A LOT of excess hair and I was not getting my periods regularly, maybe twice a year. Well, 2 years ago, I researched something about wheat products and PCOS. I I decided to stop eating wheat and after a month, not only did I lose about 10 lbs, but I got my period! I was prescribed many medications, but I am a firm believer that you can do it naturally without the help of any drugs, so I never took them. My heaviest was 260 and I am about 225-230 now. I have not lost any weight in a long time, but that is because I was not really doing what I need to be doing, however I am starting up again. I STILL get my period every single month. Just that little bit of weight loss cured some of my PCOS symptoms. Now it is time to get healthy, fit, and stay that way. I realized that it maybe be harder for me to lose weight because of the PCOS, but I don't mind working hard. We can do it!
  • kazsjourney
    kazsjourney Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and have lost 182 pounds to date. I have another 20-40 pounds to go (which is turning out to be a real struggle!) My doctor just started me on 500mg of metformin....so far so good. I started at 380 pounds and it has taken me a long time but definitely doable. I find it a lot more challenging now I am so much closer to goal...in the beginning it was kinda easy. For most of my journey I have eaten around 1800 calories (I did do calorie cycling for a lot of that time) I try and avoid grainy carbs (ie potato, pasta, bread, rice etc) at dinner time...currently I aim to keep my carbs under 158 grams so I would say I eat "moderate carbs", I have always done a mix of cardio and resistance training - happy for anyone to add me if they want to see my diary.
  • goodgur77
    goodgur77 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    :drinker: GOOD JOB!!! Those final pounds will be off soon....This race is not for the swift but for those that can endure!!! Hats off!!!
  • goodgur77
    Options
    Great job on reaching out. Although you have not been diagnosed with PCOS and anyone trying to lose weight, you need to assess you eating habits and exercise routines. I am not a doctor or personal trainer. I am a nurse and fitness enthusiast for healthy living and managing my PCOS naturally. Some words of advice: Nutrition: 1 Try to consume whole foods and refrain from process meals. 2. Try to consume good carbs. 3. Eat proteins with carbs to slow the spike in the blood sugar. 4. You may want to look at the time of day that you are consuming and how large meal_Try to stick to the 5-6 meals per day. Exercise: You may want to try to vary exercise routine. Strength train at least 3times per week. Some women believe that they will tone after they lose weight but many studies show that this is not the best method. Interval training is very good. Try to do walk/jog (save those knees:) ). Finally, big with PCOS keep those stress levels down. I was close to reaching my target weight and getting normal cycles and then my father was diagnosed with cancer and eventually died :( But I did not change my diet but I packed on 40lbs from the stress alone. I am back to working hard and eating right. Keep going...There is light at the end of the tunnel!!! Hope this helps.
  • goodgur77
    Options
    No...turn the frown upside :) PCOS made me stronger!!!:smile::wink:
  • crochelle17
    crochelle17 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have been diagnosed with PCOS, fertility issues, hair, no periods and ya'll know the rest.. anyway, I decided to try and find a natural way and did a ton of research and found that some people had taken cinnamon capsules. I personally have been taking them for a week along with low carb dieting and feel a ton better! I actually have energy and am not restless during the night and head aches have gone, which I attribute to low carb eating. With the cinnamon I have read that it helps to regulate your blood sugar levels and helps your body metabolize things for efficiently. I am speaking just from myself personally but I feel much better, I am a carb junkie and have tried to cut carbs before and ended up binging. But with taking the cinnamon I have no carb cravings and just feel better overall. Hope that helps a bit!

edit to add I have lost almost 4lbs in 1 week which is amazing since ive really been counting cals and gaining and losing the same pound day after day....
  • naturalbeautyisme55
    Options
    This is my first time hearing about cinnamon capsules. I would like to find a natural supplement that could possibly help. Thanks for the information. I'm going to look this up :)
  • misszmc
    misszmc Posts: 3
    Options
    I was diagnosed last year after having extremely heavy periods, sometimes for 2 weeks at a time! Might i add i still have them eventho im on BC and i have to wear tampons and HUGE maxi pads at the same time...especially when i work out! My doctor asked what I had been doing to lose weight and I told her I do 2 or more hours of cardio a day!!!! She said wow u should be dropping serious pounds a week and I said, I wish!!! Not to mention I have also plateaued for months at a time. One thing the dr told me is that my body holds on to allllllll types of sugar very easily..this includes CARB (healthy or not), Sweets (including natural sugar from fruits), Fried foods... Carbs are sugars and sum dnt know that... So in turn I eat a low carb diet full of HEALTHY protein and plenty of veggies!!! If I have fruit it's a VERY tiny serving and most of the time my biggest carb I eat at dinner after I've done ALOT of cardio. Weightloss has not been easy for me, but I push myself!!!! U HAVE to make up in ur mind u r gonna be TRULY dedicated and be real with urself!!!! I've had times when I've falling off the wagon and went carb crazy and gained weight or lost nothing at all and I was still putting in hours upon hours at the gym. I've struggled with weight my whole life and I had to truly make up in my mind that I didn't wanna deal with it anymore! U can do it but u gotta be real with urself and do a self evaluation..and ask urself have I TRULY been giving it my all 95% of the time??? Have I TRULY pushed myself to my max limit in the gym??? Have I TRULY put forth maximum effort when it comes to eating right?? These are questions I ask myself and so shud u and 9 times out of 10 if we are TRULY real with ourselves we will realize there is room to improve!!!
  • mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Metformin made me gain.

I have PCOS, Hashimoto, the whole deal.

Ask your doctor, not a website.

finally someone who has both like me :flowerforyou: lucky met made me lose tho or better at least since i had my diet and exercise started before i went on it but only dropped like 1 lb a month
    43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    Options
    Was diagnosed @15. I then in my 30s was diagnosed with diabetes. All the time
    I was my biggest I had given up. A handful of times in my 20s I tried to lose
    weight but as w/anyone gained it plus more back. I lost 1/3 what a 'normal'
    person would lose anyhow. I'm losing now much slower than those I'm friends
    w/on here. I will strongly agree to keep your protein/fat higher than your
    carbohydrates. Also I have cut my pasta/bread/rice/bread/potatoes out unless
    I allow it in my cheat times. I can say these things helped my inches get smaller
    which is good but my scale is tortoise worthy. lol
    I think if you join some Pcos grps here you might learn ways to fight the dreadful
    Pcos monster.
  • PenguinRider
    Options
    Hey All, so I just joined MFP today...I was diagnosed with PCOS at 15...which was..oh dear 10 years ago...ive done them all..spironolactone...birth control...metformin...and nothing seemed to have an effect. I am only on BC now so I actually have a period...i went 6 months without one once....My main problems are insulin resistance, inability to lose weight..no periods..and hair. GOD i hate the hair...and for anyone struggling with it on their face..i completely recommend laser treatments...i am on my 3rd one and can already see a difference...sometimes it is expensive...but there are several coupon sites like groupon and living social that do TREMENDOUS deals...we are talking 6 full face treatments (the max) for like 120 dollars...if you paid full price it would be near 800!
    So i guess my story is that I have been yo yo dieting for the past..well..10 years..my weight goes up and down but the up has steadily gotten higher over the years...in December of this past year (2012)I reached my heaviest at 220lbs..I made the decision then that I would NEVER get that heavy again. I joined an LA Fitness and got a personal trainer 2-3x per week...i didnt change my diet a whole lot (and yes i love the carbs and fruits)...and over the past few months I have managed to loose about 15 lbs...last week I was at 206. I seem to be reaching a barrier so I decided that I needed to suck it up..and start giving up the not so good foods that I was eating in addition to the exersize. So my question to you all dealing with weight loss and PCOS as well...is what foods should I really cut out of my diet? So I have heard that carbs are the enemy...but how much do you think I should be limiting them? like 20g/day? 60g/day? I have no idea...the food tracker on here i think is very generalized and it says i need over 100...but I kind of feel thats really high? Also do you all feel that carbs from fruits are also bad? I am a huge lover of fruit..and my veggie likes are not very broad...so giving up all fruit would definitely be too tough for me....if fruit is bad...what are some of the less bad fruits? apples? Any help is much appreciated!!! :smile:
  • naturalbeautyisme55
    Options
    Hi,

Thanks for sharing your story. Over the past few days I have really been doing my research and getting advice from other ladies with PCOS who have managed to succeed and lose a lot of weight. The main thing I hear is NO CARBS NO CARBS NO CARBS!!! I was even told to cut my fruit intake. Although it is natural sugar, it is still sugar. Geesh, so the question is, what the heck can I eat. The best thing is to try a high protein/vegetable diet. I am still doing research because different things work for different people, but I am going to try everything until I find a solution to get this weight off!!! I hope this has helped a little!!
  • fstouffer
    Options
    Ladies, I discovered this blog when I was researching PCOS for a client of mine. I am a Certified Health Coach, and the program I coach is about lifestyle change and addressing weight-related medical issues, not just a diet.

We all know that diets almost never work long term. What we offer is a comprehensive program for lifestyle change, and a continual journey toward your best possible health. I provide each of my clients with the tools, support, and education to fit their specific needs. There are no mandatory meetings to attend but, if you choose, you can have access to live weekly support calls from nurses and doctors and, you will get a free online tool and access to the amazing support of our private Facebook community of clients who are on the program as part of the services I provide.

For over 30 years, our program has been physician recommended, clinically researched, safe and proven effective in successfully burning fat and ridding the body of unhealthy and unwanted weight. We also offer programs that specifically provide healthy nutrition as an alternative to potentially dangerous medications in helping combat diabetes, heart disease, arthritis, and hormonal imbalances.

I work with clients all over the US. I would love for you to explore my website and connect so we can set up a time to chat about your health goals to see if our program is a good fit. http://choosehealthalways.tsfl.com/explore

Warmest wishes for the holidays, and let's talk about a plan to help you thrive, not just survive, in 2014!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Metformin made me sick as a dog. it was so hard to take it I stopped. I see it has worked for many people, but the side effects are awful :/ I was not happy on Metformin.

You are insulin resistant, that's why it's harder for you to lose weight. Taking Metformin helps fix your problem until you fix your glucose levels which is done by losing weight. Extremely low carb with high fat and high protein is the way to go. You only need to eat enough carbs to allow you to function in a day. For most people it's around 40 grams. Get a blood glucose meter and keep track of your glucose levels. High levels of glucose means hard to lose weight. You want it to be low most of the day.

While low carb is definitely the way to go, high protein isn't. Protein triggers an insulin response as well, and you really only need enough to maintain or build muscle (depending on your exercise routine), even without the complications of PCOS. And, like someone else mentioned, a lot of us have high insulin, but normal glucose.

Low carb, high fat, moderate protein is the best dietary way of controlling insulin levels.
  • dontwishforit_workforit
    Options
    I was just diagnosed with PCOS the other day during an ultrasound at a fertility clinic.
    I am also a Type II Insulin-Resistant diabetic, have been for about two years now (diagnosed at least).

I was first put on, I guess what you'd call normal metformin, but it wreaked havoc with my body. I went to a new primary doctor who provided me with an on-site diabetic nutritionist/educator and she has me on Metformin Extended Release - my body tolerates it much better, as long as I do not take it on an empty stomach, or take it and eat something sweet.

My initial educator gave me a cookie cutter meal plan of 1,500 calories a day, 45-60g carbs per meal. It broke it down into how many 15g carb servings of each food group I should have at each meal. I followed it and exercised and went from 207 to 187, but once I deterred from it I put it back on. I felt like I was always hungry! I always thought 45-60g was too much (I hit in the 300s without medicine) and figured if I need to lower it, shouldn't I lower my carb amounts? My new educator told me I don't have to count carbs anymore and there is a place for sugar in my diet. This confuses me. I track and still count :|

Now that I have gone off topic.. I am just curious what role PCOS plays in all this. It's already being treated since I take met.. Now what? I haven't had a regular period in 12 years, though it seems when I take my metformin regularly it almost evens it out. I thought it was coincidental before but I guess if I had PCOS all along it would make sense then, right?

/end blabbing