Tips on Gaining weight

Options
jimmy2589
jimmy2589 Posts: 10 Member
Hi, I'm 23 and my weight Stays between 43-47 (max) kgs. i Really need to put on some weight now...please help he here a little. Thank You

Replies

• adam_g85
    adam_g85 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    First the most important thing. Seek professional advice. Not a personal trainer because most of them are not qualified to give proper advice. Dietitians are perfect. Otherwise your other options is to google search the Harris be edict energy equation. That's the correct equation for figuring out how much everyone is meant to eat. Good luck
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    adam_g85 wrote: »
    First the most important thing. Seek professional advice. Not a personal trainer because most of them are not qualified to give proper advice. Dietitians are perfect. Otherwise your other options is to google search the Harris be edict energy equation. That's the correct equation for figuring out how much everyone is meant to eat. Good luck

The Harris Benedict formula is only one of many formulas that estimate basal metabolic requirements. And it is not as good as Katch McAdle as Katch McArdle incorporates body composition (impact of muscle rather than statistical averages).

OP, start by reading this and the stickies at the top of the page. Second, use a few of the online calculators to come up with your caloric needs or just set your account to gain .5lb per week. Monitor that for 4-6 weeks and check progress. If it's too fast, diet your deficit back, too slow, add more calories.

• forwesgar13
    forwesgar13 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    There's tons of info for loosing weight but not a lot of info for gaining weight . My sons had the same prob . Like the post above I'm not an expert however I looked for info when he first wanted to gain and there was not much out there. It has taken my son a few years but I'll share what he did. He's very disciplined. He works out five times a week . So get a scheduled routine for lifting in place. He eats six times a day .... like its his job . He eats clean but alot . Mostly chicken and fish . Its high in protein . He also buys the big bag of California blend veggies to go with it and eats a lot of brown rice.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    There's tons of info for loosing weight but not a lot of info for gaining weight . My sons had the same prob . Like the post above I'm not an expert however I looked for info when he first wanted to gain and there was not much out there. It has taken my son a few years but I'll share what he did. He's very disciplined. He works out five times a week . So get a scheduled routine for lifting in place. He eats six times a day .... like its his job . He eats clean but alot . Mostly chicken and fish . Its high in protein . He also buys the big bag of California blend veggies to go with it and eats a lot of brown rice.

If your son eats a lot of chicken and veggies (the old school thought), I can see why it's hard to gain weight. Those are very low calorie items, so volume has to be huge. If he wants to gain, without having to worry about eating all the time, just tell him to concentrate on higher calorie diets such as nuts, avocado, add butters or oils to a lot of things, ice cream, pizza, bagels, etc... It should also be noted, that eating "clean" doesn't improve results at all. And while, I will suggest that eating a wide variety of foods is critical to maintaining health, when your goal is to gain weight, calories is king.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

If your son eats a lot of chicken and veggies (the old school thought), I can see why it's hard to gain weight. Those are very low calorie items, so volume has to be huge. If he wants to gain, without having to worry about eating all the time, just tell him to concentrate on higher calorie diets such as nuts, avocado, add butters or oils to a lot of things, ice cream, pizza, bagels, etc... It should also be noted, that eating "clean" doesn't improve results at all. And while, I will suggest that eating a wide variety of foods is critical to maintaining health, when your goal is to gain weight, calories is king.

this ..
  • ndj1979
    Options

ignore this ..

you don't need a dietician to bulk that is just ridiculous..

eat at a 250 calorie surplus
    hit micros and macros
    follow a structured lifting program
    track progress
  • adam_g85
    adam_g85 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    For all the bulk heads out there that think that they know everything about training and nutrition. I am a qualified personal trainer and the one thing I have learnt in my travels is everyone is different. One thing I enjoy is walking into nutrition stores and listening to the advice they give me. It's quite interesting. I have been told I need to eat 3000-4000 calories a day and it all must be done with their specially designed protein powders.

I'm currently on 2500 calories and my protein intake is approx .8g/pound of body weight. I am steadily gaining weight in the form of muscle.

I have done enough research on nutrition using scholarly articles to know that the odds of getting results without some for of professional help is quite slim. Even if it is online help you will still get pretty poor results. As much as I know I'm still not stupid enough to think I can help someone through random pages. Go get advice. Ps Harris benedict energy equation.
    All these calorie counters etc. Harris benedict created the equation for them.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    For all the bulk heads out there that think that they know everything about training and nutrition. I am a qualified personal trainer and the one thing I have learnt in my travels is everyone is different. One thing I enjoy is walking into nutrition stores and listening to the advice they give me. It's quite interesting. I have been told I need to eat 3000-4000 calories a day and it all must be done with their specially designed protein powders.

I'm currently on 2500 calories and my protein intake is approx .8g/pound of body weight. I am steadily gaining weight in the form of muscle.

I have done enough research on nutrition using scholarly articles to know that the odds of getting results without some for of professional help is quite slim. Even if it is online help you will still get pretty poor results. As much as I know I'm still not stupid enough to think I can help someone through random pages. Go get advice. Ps Harris benedict energy equation.

You seriously don't need to see a Dietitian just for bulking... it's not needed at all.
  • ndj1979
    Options

so are you claiming to be gaining 100% muscle and no fat? If yes, please enlighten us to this magical process as you appear to have found the holy grail of lifters everywhere.

And no, you don't need a dietician to bulk that is just ridiculous.
  • psuLemon
    Options

If you are gaining weight, it's not just muscle, it's also fat. That is how anabolism works. Second, you can go into whatever nutrition store you want, but that doesn't mean the information is sourced or backed by science.

Everyone is not different. In fact, we are all statistically similar. It's the entire reason why they can do modeling and develop metabolic formulas like Harris Benedict, Katch McArdle, Mifflin-St. Jeor, etc..

Also, Harris Benedict only provides estimated basal metabolic needs. It doesn't address the rest of the energy balance equation (Thermal Effect of Food (TEF), Non-exercise activity thermogenesis or Thermic Effect of Activity (TEA)). That is why there are multipliers used on top of BMR to estimate Total Daily Energy Expended to estimate your caloric needs.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

You're a personal trainer and in your first post you say that personal trainers are not qualified to give proper advice. Hm.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    It's a good thing there aren't any other personal trainers or folks on here that have read tons of "scholarly material".

Wait...what?
  • jimmy2589
    Options
    Thank You all for the replies...the problem im facing now is im living on my own with an average income and a 12hour day shift (desk job)...so now my goal is to consume 2500 cal a day which seems kind of impossible
    trying to convince myself for protein drinks and stuff like that but i cant
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    jimmy2589 wrote: »
    Thank You all for the replies...the problem im facing now is im living on my own with an average income and a 12hour day shift (desk job)...so now my goal is to consume 2500 cal a day which seems kind of impossible

I believe whey protein is one of the cheapest sources of protein available, but of course, you have to spend all the money up front... it's cheaper in the long run.

However, you should be eating whole foods too.
  • jimmy2589
    Options
    yup thats the reason i never went for protein drinks
    now my BMR is 1364
    So basically i need to consume 1636 cal a day to maintain this weight
    I need to know cheaper food item with high calories
  • jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    yup thats the reason i never went for protein drinks
    now my BMR is 1364
    So basically i need to consume 1636 cal a day to maintain this weight
    I need to know cheaper food item with high calories

Get full fat milk and drink lots of it. Get oats if you can to make porridge in the morning. 3 scoops and 4 scoops of full fat milk, banana, scoop of grounded flaxseed,millseed and sunflower seed or something similar, honey which all makes a good sized breakfast. You live in Mumbai so you should have access to rice. Consume lots of it. Make curries and have it with rice. Load up with a load of veg.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Tuna, peanut butter, whey, deli meats (some are cheaper than others), chicken (if you buy in bulk (3 lbs), you can usually get for 1.99 per lb), and ground beef are fairly cheap IMO.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Pasta, oils, nuts, seeds... eat all of these, most are pretty cheap too
  • Bansh3e
    Bansh3e Posts: 71 Member
    Options

How bad do you want it?.Let me tell you something, you can eat 2500 calories even if you have a desk job.The catch is that you can actually drink you`r calories.At home, make a shake from bananas, peanut butter, fat milk, oats and protein powder if you like so.Eat 2-3 these a day + your meals and you will gain weight my friend.Wish you luck!.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    First the most important thing. Seek professional advice. Not a personal trainer because most of them are not qualified to give proper advice.

I am a qualified personal trainer

barack-obama-seems-legit.jpeg