My first NSV

Options
Hello everyone,

I started MFP last Wednesday after years struggling with and being in denial about my weight. So much so I only got bathroom scales delivered this Wednesday past so if I had made a loss in the first week I wouldn't know about it!

However, I have been enjoying all the healthy choices and working out every day and feeling much healthier for it. My first NSV comes from the aftermath of a daft decision. It was my brother's birthday/graduation meal on Wednesday and while I made some sensible eating choices the booze was flowing a little too easily and we ended up drinking brandy and celebrating until the wee small hours.
Felt HORRIBLY hungover yesterday, which obviously comes with the dreaded fear and negative feelings. Usually I would be ordering a takeaway, feeling sorry for myself, and giving up on trying to be healthier.
THIS TIME, however, I managed to eat healthily, go for a walk and stay within my cal limits despite feeling sorry for myself! Today I was right back on it and started my day with a kickboxing workout and feel back to normal - this would never have happened before.
I am proud of not beating myself up about having a bit too much to drink and being able to move forward and not feel too defeated.
It's a baby step really, but feels flippin' massive to me.

Do you remember your first NSV?

Annie

Replies

• 63hanson
    63hanson Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Good for you! It is amazing how quickly you feel better when you start exercising.
  • haidos
    haidos Posts: 69
    Options
    It's always amazing when you realise just how strong your willpower can be. keep it up!
  • tumbledownhouse
    tumbledownhouse Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    thanks! It really is remarkable how the act of making sensible choices can transfer to confidence in other areas of life.
  • Miss_Meliss86
    Miss_Meliss86 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    That's a fantastic NSV! :) Congrats! I don't recall my very first NSV...but the one that sticks out for me is when I ran 10km with my now-boyfriend without stopping. Before that I had only ran for about 5-6km before feeling like I needed to stop. I'm sure the fact that he was a new friend at the time and I was crushing on him so wanted to impress him had something to do with it, but I'll take it! :)
  • SutapaMukherji
    SutapaMukherji Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Awesome job. It truly is amazing how the smallest of decisions have the biggest impacts on our life.

And no Victory is small ever!! :flowerforyou:

My NSV happened in a really funny way. Both my track pants were in the washing machine and almost had nothing to wear to the gym. So, I thought, what the heck, lemme try those pink track pants. You know, the ones that had been sitting in the cupboard for a long time and I had not worn them in 2 years because they didn't fit anymore.

Guess what? This time, they fit :bigsmile: and perfectly. This is a moment when I was really frustrated as the scale was not budging and it had almost been a month for me at MFP. But that NSV and the support from my awesome group of friends here gave me the motivation to continue pushing.

Cheers :smile:
  • tumbledownhouse
    Options
    That's a fantastic NSV! :) Congrats! I don't recall my very first NSV...but the one that sticks out for me is when I ran 10km with my now-boyfriend without stopping. Before that I had only ran for about 5-6km before feeling like I needed to stop. I'm sure the fact that he was a new friend at the time and I was crushing on him so wanted to impress him had something to do with it, but I'll take it! :)

That is a great NSV - I am hoping to be able to do a similar thing with my boyfriend but on bikes when we visit my parent's caravan - we tried to go on a bike ride once and I was schooled by the first hill!
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    what a great NSV! I have to say I have a similar one - my daily ridiculous craving that would leave to chocolate binges/food binges if there were any chocolates or biscuits in the house has now led to me keeping chocolate and biscuits in the house, and I might have 1-2 pieces of black chocolate (25cals each) or 1 biscuit (100cals) and that's the end :) knowing that I am rewarding myself sometime during the week with coffee and cake with a good friend, which I make allowance for in my cals, makes it all so much easier.

I used to easily eat a whole block of chocolate in bed or binge a packet of biscuits, so this is so great!

And an NSV for alcohol that I hope you will have one day as well, is that I can hang with friends who are drinking and have just 1 glass of wine and STOP!! :D used to be hard, but now it's just like... no I don't need that, I don't want to feel crappy tomorrow and I respect my body and my healthy lifestyle.

Keep it up!
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    That is great and shows that your relationship with food is improving too!
  • kateauch
    kateauch Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    You're so on the right track!!! Keep it up!
  • tumbledownhouse
    Options
    Awesome job. It truly is amazing how the smallest of decisions have the biggest impacts on our life.

And no Victory is small ever!! :flowerforyou:

My NSV happened in a really funny way. Both my track pants were in the washing machine and almost had nothing to wear to the gym. So, I thought, what the heck, lemme try those pink track pants. You know, the ones that had been sitting in the cupboard for a long time and I had not worn them in 2 years because they didn't fit anymore.

Guess what? This time, they fit :bigsmile: and perfectly. This is a moment when I was really frustrated as the scale was not budging and it had almost been a month for me at MFP. But that NSV and the support from my awesome group of friends here gave me the motivation to continue pushing.

Cheers :smile:

Thank you! I have kept clothes that don't fit anymore and I hope that I will be able to fit in to them before too long - two beautiful dresses which I can get on but look utterly ridiculous. I hope I will get an NSV like yours before long.
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Great! Things like this will happen so it's so good that you are learning to let it go and move on. We can't expect perfection from ourselves and what would life be like if we never enjoyed drinks with our friends? Gotta fit that into our life and our weight loss plans. It can't be all deprivation all the time. If it was, no one would stick with it.
  • quietHiker
    quietHiker Posts: 1,442 Member
    Options
    That's kind of an AWESOME NSV :) A hangover the next day usually prompts me to go to mcdonald's for a mcdouble....but making healthy choices would be the much better option. good for you!
  • tumbledownhouse
    Options
    thanks for the positive comments everyone!
  • andshley
    andshley Posts: 12
    Options
    Great willpower, girl! Glad you made the choice to get out there and exercise!

My first NSV - I tried on pj pants that were tight and lo and behold they fit! I was way too excited to sleep that night :)

Good luck in the future!!!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!