New and Looking for Help with Accountability and Healthy Weight Loss.

Options
Hi All!!!

I've been struggling with weight loss my entire life. I have been able to drop weight quickly in the past, however none of these methods have been sustainable. I typically do a very restrictive diet and exercise excessively to loose weight until I can't maintain. I always gain the weight back and more, whenever I stop the plan.

I am now the heaviest I've ever been in my life, 205 and turning 30 in a year. I'm looking to change my relationship with food and exercise and create a life style routine that is sustainable. I am also looking for tips with accountability.

My plan is to log my calories here and work out at least 3 times a week at my gym.

I am open to all suggestions.

Replies

• Jimmy_Jack
    Jimmy_Jack Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome. I was in a similar boat. Ate what I wanted...loved food. Did not work out and got up to 335 lbs. 18 months later and I'm down 107 lbs and a new person.

A couple of things to start you off. You need to learn early on...fitness is not in a pill or bottle or product. It is within you, your success of failure is within you. Do not fall prey to diets or nutrition BS that is sold all over the place.

I did everything you can think of. If it was for sale I bought it, if it was a diet I tried it. At the end of the day what you need is proper WHOLE food nutrition. No preservatives, additives, dyes or other stuff that comes in a box/can that is intended to last for years on a shelf.

Find out your body fat percentage. Not BMI(that is garbage) but your BF. Knowing that number is crucial in finding out what your bmr/tdee will be. When you know your tdee(total daily energy expenditure) you will know what amount of foods you can eat(calories). At the end of the day you need to burn more than you consume. It really does come down to calories in vs calories out. I've done vegetarian/vegan/juicing/Mediterranean/paleo and others. What works is simple macro based nutrition.

Macro based nutrition is based on your carbs/fat/protein. You follow those amounts to comprise your daily carloric needs.

You need to get ready to meal prep. Meal prep is getting multiple meals ready at once, that will last for a few days. I cook protien on Sundays and Wednesdays. I use frozen vegetables(they are great) and lost of spices/herbs. My food is simple but not bland. When you cook all of your own food you can use salt/spices/sauces. Remember if you are hungry your'e doing it wrong.

Last is the easiest...working out. Find whatever workout suits you and your schedule. I crossfit...but it dosnt matter. The gym is the easy part. Anyone can workout for an hour a day. Its the other 23 hours that are difficult. Those 23 hours are when we make mistakes and eat improperly.

I hope this helps.
  • shelby5711
    shelby5711 Posts: 45 Member
    Options

Excellent post. And you are so right about the hour a day thing --- 90% of your results are what you eat but you definitely have to have that exercise component

ALSO I will add.. to the OP, @Regine519

21 days for your mind to build a new thought in your brain
    63 days to turn it in to a habit

Change your thoughts to thoughts of moderation. Not excessive.

Jimmy_Jack wrote: »
    Hello and welcome. I was in a similar boat. Ate what I wanted...loved food. Did not work out and got up to 335 lbs. 18 months later and I'm down 107 lbs and a new person.

A couple of things to start you off. You need to learn early on...fitness is not in a pill or bottle or product. It is within you, your success of failure is within you. Do not fall prey to diets or nutrition BS that is sold all over the place.

I did everything you can think of. If it was for sale I bought it, if it was a diet I tried it. At the end of the day what you need is proper WHOLE food nutrition. No preservatives, additives, dyes or other stuff that comes in a box/can that is intended to last for years on a shelf.

Find out your body fat percentage. Not BMI(that is garbage) but your BF. Knowing that number is crucial in finding out what your bmr/tdee will be. When you know your tdee(total daily energy expenditure) you will know what amount of foods you can eat(calories). At the end of the day you need to burn more than you consume. It really does come down to calories in vs calories out. I've done vegetarian/vegan/juicing/Mediterranean/paleo and others. What works is simple macro based nutrition.

Macro based nutrition is based on your carbs/fat/protein. You follow those amounts to comprise your daily carloric needs.

You need to get ready to meal prep. Meal prep is getting multiple meals ready at once, that will last for a few days. I cook protien on Sundays and Wednesdays. I use frozen vegetables(they are great) and lost of spices/herbs. My food is simple but not bland. When you cook all of your own food you can use salt/spices/sauces. Remember if you are hungry your'e doing it wrong.

Last is the easiest...working out. Find whatever workout suits you and your schedule. I crossfit...but it dosnt matter. The gym is the easy part. Anyone can workout for an hour a day. Its the other 23 hours that are difficult. Those 23 hours are when we make mistakes and eat improperly.

I hope this helps.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Your plan sounds perfect :)
    Restrictive diets don't work, as you know. Of course they work in the short term - who DOESN'T lose weight from eating the bare minimum?! But it isn't healthy/sustainable or realistic so well done for starting your healthier journey!
  • Jimmy_Jack
    Jimmy_Jack Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Youre very correct PinkPixiexox. you need to run a deficit but nothing extreme