Dove Hunting

Options
2»

Replies

• jodybo2
    jodybo2 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Great pics! Here are mine from last year. The little ones just used their bb guns but will be shooting a 410 this year 97l4dx1mfwz3.jpgfavl36aihk05.jpg

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    jodybo2 wrote: »
    Great pics! Here are mine from last year. The little ones just used their bb guns but will be shooting a 410 this year 97l4dx1mfwz3.jpgfavl36aihk05.jpg

Awesome @jodybo2 ! You get much action where you are? AZ has wicked amazing flights.

• jodybo2
    Options
    @Chaelaz depends on location and field prep here. The field above didn't have a lot of ground cut up and most of the birds were too high. We stayed on the tree line and did pretty good. Another field that we hunted was near a lake and right against the power lines. We could really whack them there. There's probably 30-40 of us that hunt together and have a big 3 day party since our season always opens on labor day weekend. I can't wait! Last year it rained a good bit and we called it dove-stock. Here's my daughter enjoying it. The pic with your son is so sweet! qvv7v6p7xg4q.jpg
    . :smiley:
  • Timshel_
    Options
    LOVE IT!

@jodybo2 We do groups as well and really can hit anywhere in the desert to hunt, but usally park up around watering holes and new agro fields.

Nice this is being able to hit three species - white wing, mourning, and Euros. I actually started an opening day back around 2008 hitting the hat-trick and got one of each in my first three shots!

IMG_2278.JPG

• _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Chaelaz wrote: »
    First opening day I have missed in I don't know how many years.

Anyone get out today?

just realized my license expired...damn...an excuse to go to Academy...
  • Timshel_
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »

lol. I know how that is. I hit Cableas for a special occasion last week - it was a day that ended in 'y'
  • jodybo2
    Options
    @Chaelaz Awesome! I've never seen a white wing! We have the mourning doves and "ring necks". Someone will get a "pigeon" every now and then. I'm not sure of the exact species. It's not the pigeons that google shows when you look em up. They look like an extra large dove.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Nope. Only because I didn't grow up dove hunting. Not many doves in Idaho. Even now that I'm in the Midwest pretty much stick with pheasants, turkeys and deer.
    But, sure do miss sage hen hunting or forest grouse.
  • Timshel_
    Options
    Nope. Only because I didn't grow up dove hunting. Not many doves in Idaho. Even now that I'm in the Midwest pretty much stick with pheasants, turkeys and deer.

@piperdown44 Heck, I will take any of that wingshooting! We don't have much pheasant unless you hit a hunting club. We do have some Chukar, but you gotta REALLY want it to hit those lands and mountains. And I have hunted grouse a few times here, but there is limited areas. We have only ever got one Blue Grouse.

We have great turkey hunting though, and out elk and mulies are pretty epic.

• piperdown44
    Options

@piperdown44 Heck, I will take any of that wingshooting! We don't have much pheasant unless you hit a hunting club. We do have some Chukar, but you gotta REALLY want it to hit those lands and mountains. And I have hunted grouse a few times here, but there is limited areas. We have only ever got one Blue Grouse.

We have great turkey hunting though, and out elk and mulies are pretty epic.

Only sucky thing is that for me to get to good hunting I've got to get up at 2-3 am and head over to my wife's cousins town 3 hours away just to hit 30 mins before daybreak.
    Sure was nice growing up and just strolling out to the fields on the farm where I grew up. Or driving 15 mins and getting to one of my uncles places.

Chukar....those birds are like...."hey I think I sa.....damn they're gone!". My uncles always said "if you can hit chukars, you can hit any type of bird". Point being...most of the time I missed...lol But there are some skittish pheasants and ducks I can tell you that much!

Speaking of mulies, took me a long, long time to get used to how people in the midwest counted antlers. When I first got out here and heard things like "got a 6 point" or "got an 8 point this weekend" I was thinking monster bucks. Then I saw them and was like "WTF"! My boss at that time finally clued me in that they count all the main antlers, where out West we count by side. So those "6 points" were 3 pointers in my lexicon.

• PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,276 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

lol. I know how that is. I hit Cableas for a special occasion last week - it was a day that ended in 'y'

Never been to either of those but I've got a Bass Pro opening about 40 minutes away. Fun shiz.

How much do the doves typically weigh? Like 6oz? 8oz?
  • Yogi_warrior
    Yogi_warrior Posts: 5,464 Member
    Options
    jodybo2 wrote: »

Thats awesome!
  • piperdown44
    Options

Never been to either of those but I've got a Bass Pro opening about 40 minutes away. Fun shiz.

Both are good.
    Got a Cabelas 15 mins north of me and a Bass Pro 15 mins south of me..... B)

• PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,276 Member
    Options

Both are good.
    Got a Cabelas 15 mins north of me and a Bass Pro 15 mins south of me..... B)
    I've been to Bass Pro, which is freakin' awesome. More for just ogling stuff though. There's a place closer to me called Sportsman's Warehouse which is where I've purchased a ton of stuff.

I honestly just need to avoid them all. :s