Feel free to critique- Deadlift

Options
5+ day on Wendler's 531 for deadlifts.
255 for 10. Getting feedback from other sites too but always looking for feedback.

Maybe not the best angle but the only one I could get the camera situated.

Replies

• deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert but your upper back looks too rounded.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    HEY! We're filming here! That guy. (He even walked in on cue to another song!)

I'm no expert either. I wonder if you are too tall to get a nice smooth hinge at the hips. It looks like your quads and upper back are doing more work than your hams and lower core. Have you tried sticking your butt out as far as possible while pushing your chest up? That may help with any rounding mentioned.

It may help to get some glute accessory work in like barbell hip thrusts and elevated single leg glute marches if you think you may be quad dominant.

• Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    I can't give you any advice but I just wanted to say that I love your calf definition!
  • rileyes
    Options
  • brotundkase
    brotundkase Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I agree with the comments above. I think you have great form, but you should keep your back from rounding. You could focus on lifting your chest to keep your back neutral.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    OP - I think you need to drop your hips down a tad, push your *kitten* out, and tighten up your core, and your grip on the bar ….you want to be really "tight' at the beginning of the movement. If you do all that it should help you straighten out your back ….
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Drop your butt down a little more and keep your shoulders "packed" (pulled back) to help keep your back from rounding.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    What I'm seeing is not setting the hips as well as a lack of tightness in the upper back. You should have the feeling of your hamstrings and glutes being a tightly coiled spring before you start pulling.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I agree with the comments above. I think you have great form, but you should keep your back from rounding. You could focus on lifting your chest to keep your back neutral.

I am sorry, but that is not "great" form …I am just correcting this for any newbies that may read your post.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    The other thing I'm seeing here- is you're straightening your knees hella early it looks like.

the upper back round is less of an issue to me- his lower back stays about the same tensions and flatness. I feel like yes the shoulders could be packed more- but that's simply (as it appears to me) an awareness issue- not a fatal flaw.

Keep working- that looks like a reasonable weight to be working at- not so heavy it's pulling you around- and not so light you can't actually WORK.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    The other thing I'm seeing here- is you're straightening your knees hella early it looks like.

the upper back round is less of an issue to me- his lower back stays about the same tensions and flatness. I feel like yes the shoulders could be packed more- but that's simply (as it appears to me) an awareness issue- not a fatal flaw.

Keep working- that looks like a reasonable weight to be working at- not so heavy it's pulling you around- and not so light you can't actually WORK.

I think the knees is more a function of not getting low enough to set the hips - getting properly set will help sort out the timing. It's definitely not the worst form I've seen - I'd call it decent. Would be interested to see sumo or modified sumo to see if they are a better fit for you.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Appreciate the feedback.
    Haven't taken a DL video in a while and I agree with you all. Seems I've gotten in a habit of having the hips higher for some reason and dropping my head forward. (Older vid versus this newer one confirms).
    Back to the drawing board.
    I'll post up another next week here for my 3+ day except an actual side shot. See if I can't correct this.
  • piperdown44
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

I am sorry, but that is not "great" form …I am just correcting this for any newbies that may read your post.

Yeah, maybe so, so form might be a better term.

• piperdown44
    Options
    mrsfitzyv8 wrote: »
    I can't give you any advice but I just wanted to say that I love your calf definition!

Thanks.
    Maybe I shouldn't say anything but I never, ever work calves.
    Genetics......

• piperdown44
    Options
    rileyes wrote: »

I'm no expert either. I wonder if you are too tall to get a nice smooth hinge at the hips. It looks like your quads and upper back are doing more work than your hams and lower core. Have you tried sticking your butt out as far as possible while pushing your chest up? That may help with any rounding mentioned.

It may help to get some glute accessory work in like barbell hip thrusts and elevated single leg glute marches if you think you may be quad dominant.

lol, no, I am not too tall. 5'11" but I have, according to my wife, an otter body. Long torso, short legs.
    I am neither quad dominant nor ham/glute dominate, simply weak in the legs….former bench monkey right here that neglected legs for most of my life.

To all, appreciate the feedback. One does not get better unless issues/flaws are pointed out and corrected.

Lots of cues to think about.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

lol, no, I am not too tall. 5'11" but I have, according to my wife, an otter body. Long torso, short legs.
    I am neither quad dominant nor ham/glute dominate, simply weak in the legs….former bench monkey right here that neglected legs for most of my life.

To all, appreciate the feedback. One does not get better unless issues/flaws are pointed out and corrected.

You mention long torso and short legs. Are you arms short also? You might be more suited to sumo style.

http://www.elitefts.com/education/training/choosing-conventional-or-sumo-based-on-your-bone-structure/
  • piperdown44
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

You mention long torso and short legs. Are you arms short also? You might be more suited to sumo style.

http://www.elitefts.com/education/training/choosing-conventional-or-sumo-based-on-your-bone-structure/

Sigh,…..
    Think of an otter crossed with an orangutan.
    Or cro magnon.

Sumo has not felt right. Now whether that's due to not trying it for a long enough period or body mechanics I'm not sure.

Just going to have to rebuild with better cues.
  • piperdown44
    Options

Sigh,…..
    Or cro magnon.

Sumo has not felt right. Now whether that's due to not trying it for a long enough period or body mechanics I'm not sure.

Actually ran my numbers based on the criteria and I'm an "either".
    49% ratio torso - considered long
    41% ratio arm - considered long
  • rileyes
    Options
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Sigh,…..
    Or cro magnon.

how much of a shot did you give it? It took me almost 2 months of pulling regularly to feel REMOTELY comfortable with it- EVERYTHING felt heavy- even my heavier warm up weights.