fat vs. calorie goal

Options
89GermanG
89GermanG Posts: 73 Member
edited September 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi everyone, I was wondering if its still possible to lose weight even tough I eat a lot of fat but within my calorie goal. MFP says I shouldn't eat more than 47g of fat daily. I went to subway the other day to get me a tuna sandwich for lunch and dang, a 6inch sanwich has over 200g of fat and has around 530 calories. So is it still possible?

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    200g of fat is NOT 530 calories. 530 calories of fat is about 59 grams of fat.

Maybe your database entries are wrong.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    According to this website (http://www.subway.com/nutrition/nutritionlist.aspx), with no added mayo or anything a 6" tuna on wheat is:
    480 calories total
    25g of fat (225 total fat calories)
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Had to be a database entry issue. Those problems are out there. Remember these are all entered by users, not Subway.
  • 89GermanG
    Options
    Hmm, when I logged it it gives me 270g total fat
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    If you're in a deficit, you'll lose. Try to check multiple listings to avoid errors in logging.
  • 89GermanG
    Options
    Ok, the subway nutrition calculater gives me 31g total fat. I guess it's wrong in the database
  • 89GermanG
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »

How can I calculate the g of fat in my food?
  • 89GermanG
    Options
    mops89 wrote: »
    WBB55 wrote: »

How can I calculate the g of fat in my food?

I mean when I know the total calories I should be able to calculate the g of fat, right?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Remember, fat is 9 calories per gram so that 270grams of fat would be 2430 calories if it was accurate.
  • 89GermanG
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Remember, fat is 9 calories per gram so that 270grams of fat would be 2430 calories if it was accurate.

That's right! Didn't even think about that ;)
  • 89GermanG
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

You just answered my question above, thanks!
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I always go to the restaurant's website, find out what the cals etc. should be, then look for a database entry that matches. You can't trust anything in the database without doing your own research.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    you cant tell how much fat is in food from the total calories (unless it lists the percentage). but as above member stated, each gram of fat is 9cals.
    Each as much as you want if you are able to stay in deficit but the daily suggested ranges work well for most people so try to stay within 5-10% of those totals.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    you cant tell how much fat is in food from the total calories (unless it lists the percentage). but as above member stated, each gram of fat is 9cals.
    Each as much as you want if you are able to stay in deficit but the daily suggested ranges work well for most people so try to stay within 5-10% of those totals.

It seems like this would only work if fat was the only source of calories...or am I not understanding?
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I always go to the restaurant's website, find out what the cals etc. should be, then look for a database entry that matches. You can't trust anything in the database without doing your own research.

This. I tried to enter some fiber gummy bears today and discovered that the entry that comes up when I scan them doesn't include the fiber! I made a new entry. Is there any way to correct an older entry?
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    A 6 inch sub with 200g of fat?

Wouldn't that be like a pile of pure fat with a little bit of tuna and bread sprinkled on top?

Sounds "appetising"
  • 89GermanG
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    A 6 inch sub with 200g of fat?

Wouldn't that be like a pile of pure fat with a little bit of tuna and bread sprinkled on top?

Sounds "appetising"

Lol I guess MFP need to make some corrections
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

It seems like this would only work if fat was the only source of calories...or am I not understanding?

Well, if the you have the carb and protein count you could figure it out.