I need to lose 100 pounds.

Options
I have been dieting my whole life, and gaining is all that I have accomplished.
I exercise regularly, (between 4 and 10 hours a week). Food is my issue. I don't understand most nutritional theories. I am addicted to sugar. My body is sluggish, and my brain is even more so when it comes to changes. And I need to lose 100 pounds.

Recently, (within the last 5? days) I have tried to "eat clean". But I am confused about the whole concept. I just don't get it. A lot of the time, people who preach about eating clean say "if it can sit on a shelf for more than a month, you should avoid it. Only fresh items." AND THEN recommends to me about their favorite packaged granola bar, or brand name "clean brownie". Some say small amounts of dairy is acceptable, but others are strictly "RAW VEGAN ONLY OR IT WONT WORK". I AM a food addict! And as the already swollen list of things that I can never eat again gets longer, the more panicky and anxious I feel about this entire idea.

My problems:
1. I feel helpless against my sugar cravings (which I am having at this very moment)
2. I feel surrounded by hearsay and speculation about what foods I can actually eat and enjoy.
3. I need support. Is there hope for me?

Replies

• PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of theories that 'eating clean' is the way to go but personally, I don't like eating clean because it bores me and I don't particularly like the taste of the foods. If you are eating at a deficit, you will lose weight. I've eaten at a deficit for 4 months have lost 30lbs. Not one single day was 'clean' for me. I love food too much - all different flavours and types!

Eat what you enjoy in moderation. Don't get hung up on the 'macros' and details. Of course, I wouldn't suggest eating MacDonalds all day every day because it probably doesn't do your body any good but generally, eat what you like in moderation. You'll naturally pick healthy choices anyway :)

Just my 2 cents!
  • buffalobill41
    buffalobill41 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about super clean eating. However to lose weight you have to be in a calorie deficit so it definitely helps to eat less processed food as it tends to be higher in calories. The amount of "real food" you can eat to get the same amount of calories as a fast food sandwich, tv dinner, chips and such can be astounding. Basically figure out how calorie dense the foods you're eating are and realize you'll have to fit them into a daily calorie limit. I would recommend eliminating sugary beverages for water and finding low calorie foods you enjoy, that way you can eat a lot more.
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I have pretty much eliminated all sugar and processed food from my nutrition plan. I just can't bring it into my home because it calls to me like heroine would call to a recovered addict if it was in his/her home. I would make a commitment to yourself first about what you want to achieve, then set goals to get there. Make small goals that are doable along the way to your big goal. You have to decide what you are willing to do to reach your goals. If your goal is just to lose weight than all you have to do is eat fewer calories than your body uses. If you want to get healthy and lose weight then what you eat will make a difference. Feel free to check my food diary as its open for all to see. So far I have lost 84 lbs and love to help motivate others to get fit and healthy. Friend me if you'd like.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate to all the crazy and confusing information out there. I used to get tired just trying to figure out what I should be doing. For me, when I made it as simple as possible, the weight came off. I counted calories (ate in moderation.) As far as weight loss, it doesnt matter what you eat as long as you are at the correct caloric deficit. If a person is losing weight, while eating "clean" or cutting out sugar or restricting carbs, it because they are eating less than they are burning. Personally, I dont believe in restricting or cutting out certain foods, for me it just caused frustration and I would always give up. I lose 123 pounds a year and a half ago, simply by counting calories, If I really was craving something, I worked it into my calorie budget.
  • NCGOALIEMOM
    NCGOALIEMOM Posts: 80 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    My version of clean is that it doesn't come in a package. I only eat natural foods... raw fruits and vegetables, nuts and seeds. I take it a step further and only eat raw items. Nothing cooked. Only vegan, raw foods. I realize this is extreme for most of the world, but it has done amazing things to cure my body of disease that they told me couldn't be cured. When you don't have a desire to go to that extreme, follow the KISS plan. Keep it simple stupid LOL. Don't eat anything processed or packaged. If it's pasta of some sort... it's processed. If it's bread, it's processed. Eat potatoes (I would encourage you to buy organic... traditional potatoes have a plethora of pesticides... so you are basically eating raid) If you are an animal consumer, eat organic eggs, eat only grass fed, organic meat (although, I find meat horrible for your health in general... meat, dairy and sugar are the top cancer contributors).

You ARE addicted to sugar, that's why they put it in everything, because they KNOW it's addictive. To wean yourself off sugar, eat lots of fruit.. RAW fruit. I would focus on getting off refined sugar first. Eat all the raw fruit you can handle while you get rid of the sugar addiction. You will find you feel 100% BETTER!

I was REALLY sick when I turned to raw vegan (had cancer, fibro, RA, CFS, hypothyroid and adrenal exhaustion). Within 3 months every single syptom of the disease was gone (and so was that pesky cancer) It's amazing what the body can do when you fuel it with the foods that it is supposed to have.

If you have netflix, I REALLY encourage you to watch the following. It really breaks out how our diets affect our health.
    Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead (and the sequel) My friend Joe is the star!
    Food Matters
    Forks over Knives
    Food Inc
    A beautiful truth

They are all game changers, and truly do a great job of explaining how our food has an impact on our bodies and what we should be eating for optimal health.

And please, feel free to add me and I'm happy to answer any questions you may have. I've got over 2k hours of holistic nutrition research under my belt at this point.

I also want to add, I had to change the way I look at food. I remember having the panic feelings that you do. I had to realize, I was living for food... not choosing food to live. And I really had to question why I was letting this thing called food have so much control over me. After all, it's merely fuel for my body. I won't lie... I still have days I crave certain things like CRAZY. I don't think it's something we ever truly recover from.
  • Eldow1977
    Eldow1977 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hi Calla, feeling your pain. I've got nearly 200 lb to lose and the only two things I've even been good at is eating and denial!!! I've read a lot on here about different ways to eat and I've tried a fair few of them. This time I feel different about it. I'm not pressuring my self into the gym twice a week. I'm not pressuring myself into what I can and can't eat, I just realised I needed to be more aware of what I eat. So I started by just putting in the calories and sticking to my limits. I've started to question whether I need to eat what I'm and what quantity and strangely enough it's encouraged me to make myself a packed lunch to work so I can save calories and have a naughtier dinner but still within my allowance. I'm having Chinese takeway tonight. I did last week but having sat down and eaten a whole carton of Chicken Chow Mein (yes it was over 600 calories, but yes it was within my allowance) I thought to myself, I would probably have been just as satisfied if I'd only eaten half of it. I know that's takeaway 2 weeks in a row but it is unusual. I'm I going to pressure myself into doing something different, No. I'm just learning how to read my body better. In fact, I've even pledged to not weigh myself until the 1st Oct cause that's another thing I do. Weigh 3 or 4 times a week, treat myself if I'm doing well and drown my sorrows (in food) if I've not. I'm not a food guru, I have no idea what I am doing most of the time but then I think if I don't know how to deal with my body then why would a stranger know better. I'm just a normal person, I have to work for a living, I have to feed my family on a budget, look after kids, house, cook, clean etc. and I struggle with my weight. Personally, I think the idea of cutting out so many choices so you can say you are having a "clean diet" is asking for failure. To lose 100 and 1 or 2 lb a week that's a whole year or more. Good luck to you and I hope you find "your way" of working.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    CallaBooty wrote: »
    I exercise regularly, (between 4 and 10 hours a week). Food is my issue. I don't understand most nutritional theories. I am addicted to sugar. My body is sluggish, and my brain is even more so when it comes to changes. And I need to lose 100 pounds.

Recently, (within the last 5? days) I have tried to "eat clean". But I am confused about the whole concept. I just don't get it. A lot of the time, people who preach about eating clean say "if it can sit on a shelf for more than a month, you should avoid it. Only fresh items." AND THEN recommends to me about their favorite packaged granola bar, or brand name "clean brownie". Some say small amounts of dairy is acceptable, but others are strictly "RAW VEGAN ONLY OR IT WONT WORK". I AM a food addict! And as the already swollen list of things that I can never eat again gets longer, the more panicky and anxious I feel about this entire idea.

My problems:
    1. I feel helpless against my sugar cravings (which I am having at this very moment)
    2. I feel surrounded by hearsay and speculation about what foods I can actually eat and enjoy.

There you go: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/healthy-eating-plate/
    Simple rules to follow when it comes to nutrition, without enforcing impossible restrictions.
    For weight loss though, quantity matters. You can have the perfectly balanced, nutritious diet, and still eat too much of it.
  • Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Richard Simmons put it the most succinct: eat less, exercise more. I try to eat at a deficit every day (typically few hundred calories) from my 1.5 pounds/week goal, and I've lost 65 pounds since mid-January. I still eat a cupcake here and there, Oreos every day, etc. BUT, I also eat a lot more salads with grilled chicken when eating out, black coffee instead of having it with cream and sugar, etc. Getting a Fitbit helped to keep me motivated as well. YOU CAN DO THIS!! Make small, sustainable changes, and don't say "I'm never going to eat that again!". You CAN eat it, just not as much, as long as it fits in your daily caloric intake.
  • tthoma5201
    tthoma5201 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Honestly, there is no reason to eat clean unless that's really what you want to do. I believe in eating anything and everything in moderation. If my calories allow for it, I am going to eat it. So far I have lost 40+ lbs. thinking this way with about 100 more to go. You can add me if you want. There is no reason to deprive yourself. You have to do what is going to be sustainable for life.
  • bouncy_bean
    bouncy_bean Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The sugar cravings are really hard but what I have found is the more I eat sugar the more I crave it. So I suggest when you have that sugar craving eat something sweet like a piece of fruit and continually do that until you get a handle on the cravings. This doesn't mean you can't have something with refined sugar in it again but try to replace it with a natural sugar until it gets easier and you don't crave it. Your taste buds will change with you and candy will soon be too sweet!
  • rountreefaith
    rountreefaith Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I so agree with you!!!

There are a lot of theories that 'eating clean' is the way to go but personally, I don't like eating clean because it bores me and I don't particularly like the taste of the foods. If you are eating at a deficit, you will lose weight. I've eaten at a deficit for 4 months have lost 30lbs. Not one single day was 'clean' for me. I love food too much - all different flavours and types!

Eat what you enjoy in moderation. Don't get hung up on the 'macros' and details. Of course, I wouldn't suggest eating MacDonalds all day every day because it probably doesn't do your body any good but generally, eat what you like in moderation. You'll naturally pick healthy choices anyway :)

Just my 2 cents!

• cherrie1969
    cherrie1969 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    This is my opinion and from my own experience but if you pick something that will not be able to stick to for the rest of your life then you will lose while on it.But when you stop you will gain it back plus more so pick something that you can make your life long change on.What I did when I decided to go on a diet I looked at recipe diet books and when I looked for one not only did I look for foods that I enjoy but I also made sure they had the cals and servings and how much a serving was.I have 5 comfort food diet books cause they had the best foods that I enjoyed and the servings and how many servings are in them.They even have a 30 day plan I have followed it and did good,I have also not followed it but used the recipes and am doing good.You need to decide though what plan if any is good for you and can stick to and stay on.I have never tried clean eating but if it takes away the things that I enjoy eating for the rest of my life it is not for me.
  • lizmoves
    lizmoves Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I know you've received a lot of replies already but as a sugar addict myself, the best thing for me to do was to quit cold turkey. It's too much of a slippery slope for me to have 'just one'. Stopping was tough but I feel more clear now physically and emotionally. I never realised how muddy and blocked I was. Good luck on your journey. It can be frustrating and slow going but a great pay off.
  • CallaBooty
    CallaBooty Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. If I can avoid sugar entirely, I do better than you try to "just have one". I tried to have a granola bar the other night, and the entire box disappeared. I logged it, but I felt so helpless after.

It is nice to know that I am not alone in my feelings. Thank you.
    lizmoves wrote: »
    I know you've received a lot of replies already but as a sugar addict myself, the best thing for me to do was to quit cold turkey. It's too much of a slippery slope for me to have 'just one'. Stopping was tough but I feel more clear now physically and emotionally. I never realised how muddy and blocked I was. Good luck on your journey. It can be frustrating and slow going but a great pay off.

• Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    CallaBooty wrote: »

My problems:

It's really up to you no one can tell you anything that will make you want to do this.

Eating clean means meat and veggies to me but that's just my opinion.

Sugar addicts is a mental addiction, so it's really your choice to be addicted to it, not like you need to have it your body will convert another source to get glucose.

1) stop being a baby
    2) do some research
    3) stop questioning yourself and believe in yourself

Think of where you could be if you started a year ago today...
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Stop over thinking it. Set up all your info in MFP and make up your plan....and stick to it. It's that simple. You don't have to cut out your favorite foods or avoid sugar or eat vegan or what ever people are telling you. Weight loss or weight gain is simply about eating less that your body is burning each day. If you do that you will lose weight. Doing things that are far different from what you are use to doing is setting yourself up to fail. Eat what you've always eaten just eat less of it. Take baby steps. Each time you eat...pick one item that is just a little bit healthier or more nutritious. Do that at each meal and you've accomplished eating healthier. Just make sure you are weighing and logging everything you eat. If you like to exercise than continue...if you don't then don't start running a 5k just to lose weight. Find some activity that you enjoy even if its just walking just to get yourself a little more active. Exercise doesn't have to play a huge part in your weight loss plan.