No exercise at all

Options
So when I got this app I filled in all the appropriate details like how much I dnt exercise and how much I would like to lose. I just dnt get how it can predict any weighloss at all if there is no exercise.

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Because you burn calories just being alive. If you eat fewer calories than your body uses, you'll lose weight
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    You don't need to exercise to lose weight. Like WBB said, you need less calories coming in than your body uses.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is from burning more calories than you eat.

You burn calories sleeping, eating, punching your brother, everything, not just exercise like running or lifting weights.

Exercise for me plays a fairly small role in weightloss. It helps me stay motivated etc but it's not burning a lot of calories.

Weightloss is arguable 80% diet and 20% exercise.
  • YouBlowMyMind
    YouBlowMyMind Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I've pretty much stuck on or just under what they suggested my calorie intake should be and even been walking more bcoz we've moved to a nicer place. I feel like I've been stuck at this weight for months lol
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    KloBlo85 wrote: »
    I've pretty much stuck on or just under what they suggested my calorie intake should be and even been walking more bcoz we've moved to a nicer place. I feel like I've been stuck at this weight for months lol

Then you're possibly eating more Calories, than you think. Are you weighing (via a food scale)/measuring (via spoons/cups) your food?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

How long has it been, actually?
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    So when I got this app I filled in all the appropriate details like how much I dnt exercise and how much I would like to lose. I just dnt get how it can predict any weighloss at all if there is no exercise.

Calorie deficit is for weight loss. Exercise is for fitness. Calorie deficit is based on your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure, or how much energy you burn each day by living plus daily activity) minus the calories you want to leave out to lose weight. So, if you your TDEE is 2000 calories by just being alive, plus getting out of bed and going to work each day, and then you only eat 1500 calories every day, you will lose one pound per week.

when you exercise, on the other hand, it just adds calories to the deficit, so you can eat more if you want to.

• YouBlowMyMind
    YouBlowMyMind Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I smoked weed for the past 2-3yrs and lost 40kg without getting off my butt. Now I've quit I'm trying to get motivated to keep it off and lose a tad bit more without the help of marijuana. Its hard
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I smoked weed for the past 2-3yrs and lost 40kg without getting off my butt. Now I've quit I'm trying to get motivated to keep it off and lose a tad bit more without the help of marijuana. Its hard

I'm unable to exercise and I can lose weight without it. You can too.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I lost my first thirty pounds by calorie restriction alone.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Exercise, no matter how little, helps your metabolism - not to mention that it burns calories. You can lose weight without exercise, but you'll lose more if you do.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    What is your deficit set at? If it is a rather small deficit, and you're even more sedentary than MFP's expectation for sedentary is, just being a little bit off in logging can easily make or break the difference.