Feeling cool in my new shoes but my knees hurt

After a couple of weeks of running in my cheap tennis shoes, it was time to go to a running store and get fitted. The guy at the shoes store was very helpful. He checked my gait and looked at my old shoes. After trying on several shoes, I decided on a pair of Asics Nimbus 15. They are beautiful and they were quite an investment. The problem is I have ran twice in them and both times my knees have hurt. Ugh! What do I do? Do they need to be broken in?

Replies

• CaeliGirl11
    CaeliGirl11 Posts: 108 Member
    Running shoes should not have to be broken in (not really...I mean you don't want to run in a race the very same day you buy a new pair of shoes) but you should be happy running the same day you get them.
    I was having problems with my knees and my feet before I got fitted. Did you run in the store any with the new shoes on before purchasing them? The store I bought mine in had me run in a couple pair before they finally fitted me in a pair of (MENS!) Asics Gel Evolution running shoes that are so much like a dream that I would keep them on my feet 24/7 if I could;) I went for a run the same day and had absolutely no pain anywhere when I was getting cramps in my feet and twinges in my knees with my old shoes. The Gel Evolution are major motion control shoes because I have severe overpronation issues (ankles roll in, flat feet) so it makes my knees kind of come out of alignment etc. Perhaps you should go back to the store and have them reassess your running gait with your new shoes. Many running shoe stores come with guarantees with their fits so that if you have any issues they will refit you...see if your's does...
    Hope this helps some...and good luck!!
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    I agree with CaeliGirl11 that you should go back to the store and tell them what's going on.

My own personal theory is you have switched to a very cushioned shoe with a thick heel and that may have altered your gait. You might be heel striking and that will cause a bit more stress on your knees. If you don't have a way of measuring cadence, get a metronome app and set it to 180 bpm. Run to that beat taking shorter but quicker strides.